Corsair Community

Ordered New Force GT 120 GB

ctm audi

I put in an order for a Force GT 120Gb. I was curious if these drives are having the same issues as the Force 3 series. Also it seems unclear if all the F3s are effected, or just some.

Im doing a new build from scratch. Will I need to secure erase it before installing windows, or is it fine out of the box? Going to be using a new Crosshair V Formula, which all the ports are SATA3 from the same controller. So Im really hoping it doesnt have any issues.

Ive had plenty of other SSDs, so I know how to set them up right. Though I havent had a Sanforce-2200 series yet. Does it help the GC and life of the drive to over-provision these drives like it does for others? I dont mind giving up another 8% or so of space, I only ever install just the OS on them. I like to have them running as fast and stable as possible.

Out of the box, you will not need an SE on any of our SSDs. NAND provisioning is done by the firmware and controller, not by the end user.

Yes, but if you format the drive a little smaller (say leave 8% un-formated) thats extra space for GC to work, and lengthens the life of the drive. At least thats how it is on other controllers. I wanted to know if it was the same with SF-2200. I only use about 20Gb, so if its the same I dont mind giving up the little bit of extra space.

Yes, but if you format the drive a little smaller (say leave 8% un-formated) thats extra space for GC to work, and lengthens the life of the drive. At least thats how it is on other controllers. I wanted to know if it was the same with SF-2200. I only use about 20Gb, so if its the same I dont mind giving up the little bit of extra space.

At this point, we have not documented the advantages or disadvantages of this. Feel free to try it if you like, it's your drive ::pirate::

Based on articles I have read and how SFs drive provisioning works, I see NO advantage to this at all.

I'd wager that's already been done, as 128 = base 2, and ICs come in base 2 configurations, so they've probably reserved 8 GB.

Yeah, thats the average 7% that most are pre-set to. Ive usually added an additional 8% for a total of 15%.

Also, do the drives ship with the newest firmware, or has there been a newer one released already?

At this point, we have not documented the advantages or disadvantages of this. Feel free to try it if you like, it's your drive ::pirate::

Based on articles I have read and how SFs drive provisioning works, I see NO advantage to this at all.

This is where I had found the info on it,

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/ssd-performance-loss-and-its-solution/

Though I thought I read somewhere it doesnt help with Sandforce which is why I was asking. Guess Ill just plug and play :biggrin:

25nm.

Read up on some of the newer Anandtech articles. In short, the SF overprovisioning will see ANY unused space the same; partitioned or unpartitioned. So, if you have a 60GB drive for example, with a 40GB partition and 20GB left over vs a 60GB drive with a 60GB partition, the overprovisioning on a SF drive will see and utilize any free space equally. So, creating a partition to do this is a waste of time unless you need to have a partition to remind yourself to not fill the drive past "X" amount of data.

Just out of curiosity, as I'm looking to purchase a SATAIII SSD, what's the difference between the Force 3 and Force GT? The specs are so similar that I don't get the difference. Why one over the other?

thanks.

Just out of curiosity, as I'm looking to purchase a SATAIII SSD, what's the difference between the Force 3 and Force GT? The specs are so similar that I don't get the difference. Why one over the other?

thanks.

Force GT: ONFI Synchronous NAND

Force 3: Asynchronous NAND

• Corsair Employee

They use 25nm...

Force 3 is Asynchronous flash where Force GT is Synchronous flash meaning more complex, higher cost to produce, increased performance on uncompressed data ( ATTO shows compressed data where Crystal disk mark will show uncompressed).

Thanks for the clarification :[pouts:

I was hoping that the GT was indeed using the 32nm Toshiba toggle nand that is used in the top-end SF2200 series SSDs, as opposed to just 25nm synchronous nand, which is used in more "mainstream" SF2200 drives now. I know the advantages of using synchronous over asynchronous, but the 32nm toggle is the best atm.

Does Corsair have any plans to release a drive using the 32nm nand? Due to my brand loyalty and disdain for certain SSD makers, I would prefer to buy Corsair :D:

I had now 7 weeks long a SSD of a competitor in my computer and am serving plenty of the BSOD problems.

Today, the new Corsair Force GT 120 GB has arrived.

Can I now pull a backup (True Image) from the previous V3 SSD and play back that backup on the Corsair GT SSD? (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

Or is an "official" new installation of Win7 necessary?

If so, why?

I just ordered one as well! Very excited. Only thing that worries me is it having similar issues as the Force 3. I know it was stated that it didn't have those issues, but that was when serial #1123 and above was supposed to be working. But now it seems like a lot of people are having problems with them even after them being "fixed".

Anyone have a GT yet who can share? I really hope they are great, I've been waiting a few months to get this since it was announced.

My new Corsair Force GT 120 GB at 6 Gb/s Intel SATA-III Port is running now.

(with Asus P8Z68-V PRO Mainboard).

Here are some values, AS SSD Bench:

Force GT 120 GB with Original Microsoft Win7 x64 MSAHCI driver:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/250/gtasssdmsahci.png

Force GT 120 GB with Intel RST driver IASTOR 10.6.0.1002:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5880/gtasssdiastor.png

The 4K-64Thrd Readvalue is a little bit weak. Why?

What meaning do this value have?

Now ATTO:

Force GT 120 GB with Original Microsoft Win7 x64 MSAHCI drivers:

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/9982/gtattomsahci.png

Force GT 120 GB with Intel RST Treiber IASTOR 10.6.0.1002:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9348/gtattoiastor.png

When and at what point can the synchronous flash play to its advantages? I realize there's nothing better than with asynchron flash.

The speed/cost of nand increases as you go from asynchronous ---> synchronous ---> toggle (this shows through specifically for incompressible data).

If you were compare your GT to a drive using 32nm toggle nand the 32nm drive scores in the 190MB/s range for both reads and writes for 4K-64Thrd, and the overall AS SSD score is in the 650ish or so range (at least it was for me before I returned the drive b/c it was not stable.....)

Newegg ended up accepting my force 3, will be ordering a GT soon. I hope corsair wont' fail me this time.

Haha I have a 120gb force GT being shipped to me and I don't even want it anymore. I'm really worried it will end up having similar problems like the force 3.

Archived