Corsair Community

How i got the Force 3 120 GB to work

Kriztjan

Ive RMA one drive and got my new the other day, heres what i have done and it works so far, been running on the SATA3 ports since yesterday with no problems so far, hope this might help someone.

• First i installed the drive on my SATA3 port and installed Win7, hung up after first reboot and did not want to work again.

• Booted Parted magic and did a erase disk

• Installed the disk on SATA2 port and installed Win7, worked!

• Installed all updates and installed this new Marvel SATA3 driver
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm scroll down and youll find it, released 08/06/11

• installed the drive on the SATA3 port again and booted up, it has been working since yesterday, no problems at all, no freezing, BSOD etc

I have the disk running on AHCI, i have not changed the PCH voltage.

My setup is:

Asus P6X58D-E

i7 920

6gb Corsair 16000 RAM

Fractal Design 800W

5870 Eyefinity6

2 750gb disks

Creative Elite Pro soundcard

The new Marvel driver seems to have helped alot, im now booting up Win7 in about 8seconds from Starting windows logo to typing my password.

Ive RMA one drive and got my new the other day, heres what i have done and it works so far, been running on the SATA3 ports since yesterday with no problems so far, hope this might help someone.

• First i installed the drive on my SATA3 port and installed Win7, hung up after first reboot and did not want to work again.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm scroll down and youll find it, released 08/06/11

• installed the drive on the SATA3 port again and booted up, it has been working since yesterday, no problems at all, no freezing, BSOD etc

My setup is:

Asus P6X58D-E

i7 920

6gb Corsair 16000 RAM

Fractal Design 800W

5870 Eyefinity6

2 750gb disks

The new Marvel driver seems to have helped alot, im now booting up Win7 in about 8seconds from Starting windows logo to typing my password.

Thank you very much for posting this. I think it may help other users while we work to help those that still have issues ::pirate::

If I connect my drive to the SATA3 port, I just get a "Disk Read Error Occurred" message before even attempting to load the OS.

I could try again, but do you guys think this is a software or hardware level error? I tried installing F4 drivers but still no go.

you will find even though its working, copying high speed data from 1 force3 to another will cause the system to lock up.

i managed to get it working in the same way... sigh :(

getting 140 meg second write from 1 force 3 to another isn't what id call working to specifications

you will find even though its working, copying high speed data from 1 force3 to another will cause the system to lock up.

This is not necessarily true. Most users are not having issues. Please don't confuse other users that aren't having the same issues that you are.

so your saying not many users are having slow data rates / problems , or no users have been bothered to find out ?

I have been in contact with alot of Australian resellers of these disks and they all report similar issues (with new release) Using multple different Sata III chipsts, I wouldn't say something that is untrue and couldn't backup.

Mind you I'm the only one i've spoken to that has tried to copy data from 1 corsair force 3 to another, so i guess my conclusion is still valid until further evidence appears :)

so your saying not many users are having slow data rates / problems , or no users have been bothered to find out ?

I have been in contact with alot of Australian resellers of these disks and they all report similar issues (with new release) Using multple different Sata III chipsts, I wouldn't say something that is untrue and couldn't backup.

Mind you I'm the only one i've spoken to that has tried to copy data from 1 corsair force 3 to another, so i guess my conclusion is still valid until further evidence appears :)

I am watching the global results of our sales and our tech support and customer service statistics. You have only 1 drive and 1 machine on which YOU can test and base conclusions upon. Please do not spread rumors or unsubstantiated facts. This causes issues where there should be none.

OK, so my first BSOD a couple of mins ago! f4 error

System froze for 20 seconds something before i got the BSOD

rebooted and drive was not detected, cold boot and it was there again, needed to reboot once more for windows to load.

had it running for about 15min before bluescreen.

if this happens again i will go back to the SATA2 port.

The current work around that appear to help, seem to show that a hardware issue is still prevalent.

The interface ability to operate at the sata 3 specification looks to be marginal for quite a few people. now it could be the cable or even the host side interface that's the main contributors, but there should have been more control over certification to make sure this doesn't happen.

I did a USB plug fest certification recently and let me tell you, it can be challenging to get a product certified. the point is, we have to pass such a stringent battery of test that most consumer configurations would never come close to stressing the limits of the interface.

But apparently some one dropped the ball for sata. Corsair should be more that able to confirm if their interface is up to sata 3 specification. but the fact that they are suggesting to try cables and voltage mods to drive the signal level, tells me something fishy is amiss.:sigh!:

My setup is:

Asus P6X58D-E

i7 920

6gb Corsair 16000 RAM

Fractal Design 800W

5870 Eyefinity6

2 750gb disks

Well, using the above method i was able to get Win 7 installed on my 1124 SSD and have switched back to the Marvell SATA contoller. Only difference was I could not get the Marvell drivers in the link to work for me. I ended up letting Windows find the driver for me. So at least I'm up and running. :D:

The current work around that appear to help, seem to show that a hardware issue is still prevalent.

The interface ability to operate at the sata 3 specification looks to be marginal for quite a few people. now it could be the cable or even the host side interface that's the main contributors, but there should have been more control over certification to make sure this doesn't happen.

I did a USB plug fest certification recently and let me tell you, it can be challenging to get a product certified. the point is, we have to pass such a stringent battery of test that most consumer configurations would never come close to stressing the limits of the interface.

But apparently some one dropped the ball for sata. Corsair should be more that able to confirm if their interface is up to sata 3 specification. but the fact that they are suggesting to try cables and voltage mods to drive the signal level, tells me something fishy is amiss.:sigh!:

Pretty sure they'd make sure they're up to spec as there was some talk about SATA III and the 800D and cable specs and whatnot. In other words if they went through that much for the SATA III upgrade on the case then it's a fair assumption that they put in the same type of effort for the SSDs.

OK, an little update, ive had about 4-5 BSOD, ive had about 2 BSOD after i changed back to the SATA 2 port.

I had it running for two days on SATA2 port without issues before i changed to SATA3 port, then i had about 3 BSOD, changed back and have had 2bsod since then.

I amped the ICH voltage to 1,16 and had it running all night, no problems so far, the computer is running at home now and hopefully the voltage will erase the problem, i´ll update as soon as something happens.

My setup is:

Asus P6X58D-E

Has your system continued to remain stable?

This might be a fix for some, but not if you have an Intel controller, or a laptop.

• 1 month later...

I had problems when i used my 120Gb Force 3 drive in Marwell sata3 ports.

Computer was unstable (bsod couple times) and disk was missing on boot many times. Also my bechmark speed was quite low. Under 170mb/s read etc. I used 1.3 firmware and installed windows couple times (before and after firmware update.)

- Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E and I was using latest marwell drivers, latest bios, ahci mode etc.

Now im using 120Gb Force 3 on my motherboard intel sata 2 ports(ahci mode ofc) and it's working fine. Benchmark speed are much better(over 200mb/s read) than in Marwell sata3 ports and uptime now 5 days without problems. I haven't install windows again after moving my disk from marwell sata 3 to intel 2 but I don't know would it make my "speeds" go more up.

Looks like Marwell Sata 3 chipset is totally useless. I think I will stay on my sata2 atm. Speeds are enough and computer is stable atleast at the moment.

• 1 month later...

I currently run my 120Gb Force 3 drive on a Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 motherboard using one of the 4 SATA II ports... its works perfectly. Too bad that it wont bother to load windows when trying to use any of the 6 SATA III ports. My board has two different types of SATA III controllers: One is integrated in the Intel chipset (ports SATA3_0_1). The other is ASMedia ASM1061 (ports SATA3_A1_A2 & SATA3_A3_A4).

To be precise, I am able to install(meaning full install and after restart it gives me a Bootmgr missing or disk read error) the OS on either the SATA3_0 port or the SATA3_1 port, meaning that it only works with the controller integrated in the Intel chipset. If I try to install the OS on the ASMedia ASM1061 controller it won't go past the "copying windows files" part.

I have contacted Asrock for support regarding this matter and they told me :

"The board uses 2 different types of SATA controllers and they work independently. So if the problem happen on both, then it should not be a bug in the controller.

Please check the model and serial number of your SSD. I found this:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95825

It is possible that you have a drive which is affected.

Even if you have a “fixed” drive, there might always be a small chance that the rework on the drive was not successful. I am not saying this is the case, but I am just thinking of some possible causes.

Are you sure that the vendor tested it on SATA3? It would be best if you can find a way to test it yourself on another system, with your SATA3 cable.

So far we have not received other reports like this, so it does not indicate a structural problem.

I will ask a colleague in Taiwan if he has some idea.

Meanwhile please also contact Corsair to see if they have some clue. If you find a contact at Corsair then please feel free to suggest to them a direct contact with me.

Best regards,

ASRock Support

Archived