Corsair Community

Getting CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 to 2000 mhz on Sandy Bridge

Mamurai

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this has been touched before, but I couldn't find it at least.

I have 8gb of CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 (http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-solutions/core-i3-dual-channel-kits/cmx8gx3m2a2000c9.html)

And I would like to get them to 2000 mhz, or as close as possible at least. At the moment they are running in XMP at 1867 mhz, but I would certainly like it to be higher if possible. I know it isn't easy on Sandy Bridge to hit that sweet spot I'm after, and that the bus speed should remain on 100 mhz for the system to be stable?

Is there any way of getting it close to 2000 mhz and still have a stable system? If I push the bus speed to 107 mhz I get there, but the system also gets unstable if I do that I take it. The voltage on the XMP profile is 1.65v as it should be on DRAM, although if I overclock the bus speed to 107 mhz I'm not sure if I would need to tweak the voltage elsewhere. If it is even advisable to overclock a sandy bridge chipset bus speed to 107 mhz in the first place.

What would you guys do if you were in my situation with the RAM I have?

Link to what my BIOS looks like: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/4 (Not me who wrote that there or anything)

With the current config it has passed memtest86+ 4.20 two out of two times.

Edit: Made CPU-Z a lot more readable than a text copy/paste

Link to my specs: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1888494

just enable XMP profile #2 and you should be done with it :)

also, i know it was a typo, in your post you said the ram voltage was 6.5v

just post a pic of the mem and spd tab of cpu-z, its far less confusing.

[edited]

Thanks to your signature I have now made a CPU-Z which is far easier to read: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1888494

I meant XMP and not XMS as well in my post of course. I have edited that and yes, 1.65v not 6.5 haha.

I have checked, but I only have profile #1 which I'm using now, so I'm not sure if it is possible to get it to run with the mhz it can with in Sandy Bridge at all, or at least on my motherboard although it is compatible.

Thanks for the fast reply btw :)

Try and increase the CPU Frequency a few MHz at a time till you reach the desired Memory frequency.

Got it to run 100 mhz faster now, but it doesn't seem I'm able to get the bus speed higher than 105mhz without the system complaining about overclocking and voltage.

Not sure what else to do at this state really, but suppose I should be happy to get it very close at least :)

Here is hoping it will be stable enough.

Edit: seems as if overclocking CPU frequenzy isn't something that is advisable on a Sandy Bridge chipset, or at least what people seem to be saying, so have to turn that down and be happy with my 1867 mhz instead of 2000 I guess :)

Just a shame really >.<

Hello :) I' ve got the same ram but if I try to use a XMP profile, it just stops then boot then stop over and over again, even in manual. Am i really stupid or is it only because i' m new in OC ?

Thanks for your answers ;)

try disabling that speedstep c1e and eist for full speed, you are running at half speed!!

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1889041

Better?

Just really want to optimize my system really :)

edit: still annoys me I can't get the ram to 2000 mhz! Grr! It's just one of those things I will have to live with. Not that 1867 mhz is bad, but when you know it can run at 2000 mhz it eats at me haha.

Your MB is capable of running that frequency, but the CPU may not be. When it comes to overclocking nothing is a guarantee.Each CPU is different. Some will run that high while others may not. Even if they come of the production line in the same batch. I would also set your overclock to the CPU frequency back to default and then try to raise your memory frequency. If you can get it to 2000 the, THEN start raisning your CPU overclock.

Your MB is capable of running that frequency, but the CPU may not be. When it comes to overclocking nothing is a guarantee.Each CPU is different. Some will run that high while others may not. Even if they come of the production line in the same batch. I would also set your overclock to the CPU frequency back to default and then try to raise your memory frequency. If you can get it to 2000 the, THEN start raisning your CPU overclock.

Unfortunately you can't on the Sandy Bridge chipset. It jumps from 1866 mhz to 2133 mhz, and I'm not really sure if I can do that with the RAM I have, or if it is even wise.

Or maybe I'm not entirely getting what you mean I should touch in the BIOS.

Archived