Corsair Community

CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 Tuning

tainteddonut

I've been getting "Nvidia kernel mode driver has stopped responding", as well as a few other video driver errors, on a new system. I made a post over at the EVGA forums and was told to come here and ask for any advice for tuning this stick of ram for this motherboard...

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=1213&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=19&LanID=9#Socket AM3

I bought a barebones kit (cpu/mobo/ram/etc...), so I find it hard to believe that they'd sell these together and there would be too big of a conflict... Seeing as the ECS Memory QVL doesn't even have this stick of ram listed as supported, so I hope i'm not boned....

Anyway, when looking at the bios, the Dimm V seems to be set at 1.6v, while vdimm is at 1.584v. The tested voltage on this stick is 1.5, so i'm wondering if this is a problem. I was searching google and came across a post somewhere, I forget where exactly, about someone saying they needed to bump the voltage on this particular stick of ram to get it to function properly, up to 1.8v I believe.

So the question is, is my video card problem due to memory? CPU and Mobo are fine, PSU is fine (600W, not great I know, but as far as i can tell it should be able to get the job done), no overclocking what-so-ever, and no overheating issues. Also ran memtest a few times and never got any errors back. As of right now, EVGA says that the card is probably bad, so I was hoping for a second opinion before RMAing it.

• Corsair Employees
What do you have the memory voltage set to? If its at default try setting it to 1.6-1.7 Volts and if you still have a problem try setting the CPU NB Voltage to +.1 or +.2 Volts over default.

The default setting was 1.6v in bios. 1.8v was the next step up, so I tried setting it to that...but...now the PC won't boot. First time I rebooted it just got stuck at the windows logo. I rebooted and now it won't get past post...can't get into the bios either.

Edit: Well, now nothing seems to be working. The computer turns on, but the monitor stays completely blank, like the computer isn't on or the monitor went into power saving mode... Tried using both the video card and onboard video.

Have you tried to clear the CMOS by removing the battery or pushing the clearCMOS button if your board has one. That should flush out the previous setting changes you made to the voltage and allow you to get back into the bios. Chances are 1.8v is too high and it wont post because of that. Then once back into your BIOS go back to 1.6 and start raising the voltage in .02v increments to see if it helps . But don't go over the 1.7 RG suggested. and also try setting the north bridge voltage a volt or two higher.

Well, did everything I could. Computer still freezes up and crashes when the video card is under load. I guess it's not a memory problem after all. I mean, if the stick of ram wouldn't work with the mobo, memtest would have told me right? Guess i'll just RMA the video card tomorrow.

Archived