Corsair Community

Sigh.. P3-64GB failed again

jwarcop

So this time I've been running the drive on an ASUS Z68 Pro. Drive failed about 5 minutes ago and this will be my second one. I've already second guessed my decision to get this drive when it failed the first time. Now another? Really?

Almost same issues as the first time it happened. Using windows and the PC "seems" to hard lock but it technically doesn't. My old go-to test by hitting the Numlock key and it still changes states. However I look over at the HDD light and it is SOLID. This is what was happening last time this P3-64GB failed is that the drive light was going solid and unresponsive. Eventually the drive stopped being recognized by the BIOS.

It is still being recognized by the BIOS and I'm unable to reload Windows. Just was trying that to see what would happen if I could get a format in.

No change and I'm guessing another RMA. This will be the most expensive hard drive I've ever bought once you add in the return shipping fees.

Extremely disappointed with the product and at this time I will not buy another Corsair SSD. Sorry guys - its failed twice and I see all the other threads about bad SSD drives and this new Force3 issue.

For kicks I'm trying the secure erase thing to see if anything changes. Will post back if anything does change.

Yeah - that didn't change anything. Was successful with the secure erase but when I go back to reinstall Windows the drive light goes solid and cannot expand windows files.

Essentially the drive is unresponsive to putting data on it. I'm assuming this is a new feature.

I take that back actually - all of a sudden it moved up to 6%. So it's doing something - like I'm installing Windows on a floppy.

Interesting - Windows did finally reinstall itself onto this drive.

The question is - do I trust it to keep working with it? The unpacking part of the windows install seemed a lot slower than it should be.

Windows finally reinstalled - but still think something is wrong with the drive.

ATTO Write - 111MB/sec

ATTO Read - 279MB/sec

I give up - RMA me please.

Your case number is 2116217, please keep this number for future reference.

Thank you. Customer Service will contact you shortly with an RMA Number.

Responding to Message Regarding Case #2116217

Message To » Corsair Technical Support Team

Past Message History

From

Message Context

Sent On

Technical Support

Please try running Parted Magic and secure erase the drive then if you make a backup image of the drive before you do the secure erase you can re-image the drive and see if the performance is restored

6/29/2011 11:46:56 AM

You

Hello - I ran this on the drive the other day using the Gparted method as outlined in the forums. This did the secure erase on the drive. I ran a reinstall of Windows and the install took forever (much slower than my Seagate 7200). I also ran ATTO on the drive once windows was reinstalled and it was pretty terrible write performance. You can view my forum thread of everything I've done so far - http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=96295.

Let me know next steps.

Thanks

6/29/2011 12:01:10 PM

You

No response in two days. Anyone out there?

To be honest, I'm on my second P3-128 and I just had another dreaded "freeze" like you are having on your 2nd drive as well. I'm so ****ing tired of support or anything else suggesting a ****ing secure erase to make the drive work. It's not a performance issue, it's the mother****ing drive failing.

Their entire new product line is ****, untested, and they have a relatively small market share. I will never purchase another one of their SSD's again.

If indeed I start getting more hangs again from this second drive, I'm going to send it back and ask for them to give me my money back.

Hey I'm back -

I am assuming you are asking which controller I am using on my motherboard. I was using the Intel controller on the 4 blue SATA ports, yes these are 3GB ports I understand that. Everything was fine on these ports before. The 2 grey ports on my motherboard are the onboard Intel 6GB controller and the two navy blue are the Marvell controller 6GB and the Marvell ports are disabled.

Since I'm assuming you were going down the path of making sure I'm in a 6GB SATA port - I went ahead and tried it. I moved the drive over to the 6GB Intel port and installed all the drivers. The drive still has major problems. I ran Disk ATTO on it and the write speed never goes over 110MB/sec through all of the tests while the Read speed goes up to 365MB/sec. To me it is acting like I'm in a write-through mode directly to the chips and doing anything on the drive is sluggish. I've done the secure erase twice now.

http://i52.tinypic.com/11alahl.png

Aren't the rated specs for that drive 365 read 110 write?

That being said, your benchmark is spot on.

Performance 3 Series™ P3-64 Solid-State Hard Drive

Max Sequential Read/Write (using ATTO Disk Benchmark):

Up to 365 MB/s sequential read — 110 MB/s sequential write

This isn't a question about performance or a problem with performance if it is running at spec.

The drive failed and now anything I do on the drive seems impossible to accomplish. I don't know what the problem is and obviously posting ATTO isn't a good judge of whether a drive is good or not.

This isn't a question about performance or a problem with performance if it is running at spec.

The drive failed and now anything I do on the drive seems impossible to accomplish. I don't know what the problem is and obviously posting ATTO isn't a good judge of whether a drive is good or not.

Never heard of a drive failing like that. Since it's been tried on multiple controllers, I think it's pretty safe to say that they'll approve your RMA if they haven't already.

Never heard of a drive failing like that. Since it's been tried on multiple controllers, I think it's pretty safe to say that they'll approve your RMA if they haven't already.

I guess my 128GB Performance 3 drive doesn't count? It does that exact same stuff as his 64GB.

All performance tests are good, it passes all drive tests. Yet it hard locks (solid activity light but things like pressing num lock on keyboard work)...

It also doesn't matter which drive controller I use either.

'Cause I didn't think it was necessary at the time but I think I did mentioned that everything showed the disc was in good health (while vague I meant everything from performance to the smart data). I can't run it now anyway cause I wiped the drive. Unless you know of a benchmark program that will work with the live boot of partedmagic. My RMA has been approved and I will be sending it out soonish.

Archived