Corsair Community

Corsair Force 3 MBP Problems

Isaac7

I can't get it to work at all. I've scavenged through the forum, but haven't seen many tips. I have a early 2011 macbook pro 15" with the 6750 vid card. I purchased the force 3 through newegg. I've got a 1123 one.

In the middle of a fresh installation of Snow Leopard it'll restart and than I get a kernal panic. After that I tried using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my entire HDD to the Force 3 to see if it'd work. It won't boot up and shows a prohibited sign which means it cannot find the OS. I formatted the SSD the same way I formatted my previous SSDs/HDDs with the OSX disk utility. I attempted to repair the disk, but it says, "No issues found, this is a bootable volume."

This is my first purchase with Corsair. I heard about your extremely good support, however I'm slightly disappointed in this drive. The specs are impressive, but the instability truly isn't worth saving $30-40 over another drive. If you could help me remedy this problem I'd greatly appreciate it.

Let me note that I have 4 other SSDs with many other manufacturers, my favorite being Intel for reliability. Each of those drives have no problems with fresh installations or carbon copy cloner. Each SSD boots fine through USB or when placed in the internal sata3. The force 3 will not work whatsoever. It's recognized but beyond that it's useless.

Thank you

No dice, I suppose I'll have to sit and wait. It's quite unfortunate newegg doesn't accept returns.

I'll admit to knowing very little about MAC specific issues in general. I'll ask RAM GUY take a look at this thread tomorrow as he knows a LOT more about them than I do. We'll do our best to get you sorted and sorry your first purchase with us has started out rough. ::pirate::

I'll admit to knowing very little about MAC specific issues in general. I'll ask RAM GUY take a look at this thread tomorrow as he knows a LOT more about them than I do. We'll do our best to get you sorted and sorry your first purchase with us has started out rough. ::pirate::

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand there are always unpreventable bugs/issues for every company. Corsair support is truly excellent. It was just unfortunate to have run into problems. Have a nice day.

i just got mine to work on my 2011 mbp 15" (2.2GHz i7) and currently using it right now.

I followed a different method to install though.

I backed up my old HD with time machine. Then did the secure erase on the SSD with Parted Magic by booting it with my PC. I tried to format it to (mac) format and HFS+. Somehow this didn't work right because when i booted into the MacOS X install disk and tried to install it said it still needed to format the disk, and attempting to recover with the backup gave an error. So i just let the OS X disk utility do the formatting and the recover from backup worked fine.

The first boot up gave me an apple and blinked the cancel symbol twice like what i read clickclickwoot reported.

i just got mine to work on my 2011 mbp 15" (2.2GHz i7) and currently using it right now.

I followed a different method to install though.

I backed up my old HD with time machine. Then did the secure erase on the SSD with Parted Magic by booting it with my PC. I tried to format it to (mac) format and HFS+. Somehow this didn't work right because when i booted into the MacOS X install disk and tried to install it said it still needed to format the disk, and attempting to recover with the backup gave an error. So i just let the OS X disk utility do the formatting and the recover from backup worked fine.

The first boot up gave me an apple and blinked the cancel symbol twice like what i read clickclickwoot reported.

Thanks for your input. I did erase with parted magic myself using another PC. When I attempted to format with the disk utility it fails. The stupid thing doesn't even mount properly. Gotta love when you get a drive DOA and you don't realize it because there is so many problems with the drive already that support constantly tells everyone, "An RMA won't help." It's quite exciting having a $220 unusable drive for 2-weeks.

I've just bought a Corsair Force3 120 as well. Sticker says it is a 1124. Went through the hassle of taking apart my 2010 iMac to install it. I even bought the factory mounting braket to put it in. (Install required removing the entire insides! What a pain!)

I got the install to finish after doing a secure wipe. SSD runs great for about 5 minutes after the install, or until you do multiple file transfers to the drive, whatever comes first. After this, you get pauses that result in the OS freezing momentarily, followed by normal usage, followed by randomly cycling back and forth. Bootcamp refuses to bootup without a blue screen if I start normally, forcing me to use safe-mode when/if a new firmware is released. (Hopefully within the week, as I'll be exploring other choices by then) Before Corsair asks... yes I'm using a short premium locking SATAIII cable.

At this point, I would gladly take a gamble with potentially working beta firmware, as I'd rather not have to dismantle my imac again. Other manufacturers seem to be using an "MP4" firmware which they say resolves these types of issues.

(If I end up taking it apart again, I'll end up buying a more proven SSD, and force NewEgg to take this one back.... surely never buying corsair again depending on how this goes.... it's just sad that they would sell a device with these issues)

• 2 months later...

Same problem. Complete bull. I'm even using the May 2011 iMac. I'm so fed up with taking my computer apart. I'm going to RMA and then demand a refund on this POS when it doesn't work.

I've just bought a Corsair Force3 120 as well. Sticker says it is a 1124. Went through the hassle of taking apart my 2010 iMac to install it. I even bought the factory mounting braket to put it in. (Install required removing the entire insides! What a pain!)

I got the install to finish after doing a secure wipe. SSD runs great for about 5 minutes after the install, or until you do multiple file transfers to the drive, whatever comes first. After this, you get pauses that result in the OS freezing momentarily, followed by normal usage, followed by randomly cycling back and forth. Bootcamp refuses to bootup without a blue screen if I start normally, forcing me to use safe-mode when/if a new firmware is released. (Hopefully within the week, as I'll be exploring other choices by then) Before Corsair asks... yes I'm using a short premium locking SATAIII cable.

At this point, I would gladly take a gamble with potentially working beta firmware, as I'd rather not have to dismantle my imac again. Other manufacturers seem to be using an "MP4" firmware which they say resolves these types of issues.

(If I end up taking it apart again, I'll end up buying a more proven SSD, and force NewEgg to take this one back.... surely never buying corsair again depending on how this goes.... it's just sad that they would sell a device with these issues)

i have the 1124 on the 2.2GHz mbp15 2011 on Lion. The Force3 is 'working' to an extent. Definitely has issues though. Tried secure erase a few times and reinstall, clean, and also restore from time machine, no difference.

The cold boot is sporadic, get read errors sometimes when booting reading the drivers. Have to shut it down and restart it till it boots up and it's fine (or use rEfit and just keep selecting the drive over and over till it boots).

Performance is slightly slower than expected, no where near 500MBps, more like 400R/250-300W.

Boot time is long 30-40s, a lot slower than what I'd expect from an SSD.Actually about the same as the 750GB 5400RPM original drive.

Occasional I/O errors when copying large files.

And also unable to upgrade the firmware, my PC doesn't see it in the firmware tool, doesn't support AHCI.

Despite the fact that it 'works' after i can boot up and doesn't like crash and freeze like what I see from Win7 posts, I'm definitely not happy with this.

• 2 weeks later...

totally disaster with mac.

I add force 3 120G ssd(#1136~) into my mac mini -2011, as ifix's instruction,

clone/install lion, even tried and failed to install win7 with boot camp on that ssd, Carbon copy, superduper, vargin install...

just NEVER work - it's NOT bootable! (shows a prohibited sign)

btw,seems slow too when copy files into it.

without a PC, i cannot even update the fireware...

corsair, seriously, need to solve this problem !!!

If you want to update your firmware

-Send back the drive to Corsair so they can update the firmware for you.

-Go to a friend that has a PC and ask him if you can update your SSD.

-Go to your local computer store and tell them to update it for you.

Browse around the Boot Camp forums

https://discussions.apple.com/community/windows_software/boot_camp?categoryID=237

thx, but I heart that firmware update does not solve problems!

and tried every possible "solutions",

leads to the same end - cross sign when booting,

definitely have compatibility issues with Macs (maybe EFI, seems ok on BIOS based systems),

just not bootable! !!

I think firmware 1.3.2 or 1.3 fixed something w/ the boot, because mine used to fail very randomly in the past with read errors on 1.2. After the update it seems to work much better.

thx tried the updater on bootcamp with win7, said successfully updated but restart &rescan, firmware version not changed, Corsair really need BIOS , hah?!

and it's really difficult and time-consuming to take that 2nd ssd out of my mac mini .. (see ifix)

hmm, i didn't try updating it in my mbp 'cus i didn't have boot camp setup yet. I had to plug it into a PC that supports AHCI.

I had to switch the mode to AHCI in the BIOS for it to work. First time i ran in it IDE mode, it just said completed. And when I refreshed, it still showed 1.2 as well.

hmm, i didn't try updating it in my mbp 'cus i didn't have boot camp setup yet. I had to plug it into a PC that supports AHCI.

I had to switch the mode to AHCI in the BIOS for it to work. First time i ran in it IDE mode, it just said completed. And when I refreshed, it still showed 1.2 as well.

well, I had used a USB win-pe to startup and did the update to 132, refreshed and showed 132 . in apple lion's system status also says132, but so much slower than 130 during format and disk clone.. also tried the tricks in this forum... but like just freezed into 30 min.s of erasing process.

well.... considering a ******** product now.(<-- BTW I thought only China does censorships on web)

Don't go around the filter.

This is a Corsair Support Forum. Only Corsair stuff is allowed. no competitor brands are allowed.

didnt say anything,ok?!

Steve Jobs died, I guess u guys at corsair just dont care about mac users anymore... right/..?

well, I had used a USB win-pe to startup and did the update to 132, refreshed and showed 132 . in apple lion's system status also says132, but so much slower than 130 during format and disk clone.. also tried the tricks in this forum... but like just freezed into 30 min.s of erasing process.

By format are you just pressing quick format or secure erase?

Steve Jobs died, I guess u guys at corsair just dont care about mac users anymore... right/..?

This DOES NOT have anything to do with Steve Jobs. Yellowbeard has already mentioned that he has little knowledge of MAC issues.

mikelpc, as per the forum rules please don't go around the forum filter which you were directed to upon creating an account. The reason for the filter is covered in the rules and the rules' comment thread.

RMA the drive. Not everything is a firmware issue.

Archived