Corsair Community

Force 3 120 GB with Marvell on-board SATA III chip?

zwp703

Hi,

I got my Force 3 120GB 3 days ago (batch #1124 from Australian distributor ALTECH) and spent 2 nights to install win 7 on it but without any luck. My MOBO is GA P55A-UD3 rev 1.0 and the only 2 SATA 6G ports are supported by Marvell on-board SATA 6G controller chip. BTW AHCI is always on.

The major problem is I can't even format my drive. Both windows installer and diskpart didn't work. In diskpart I've tried everything, clean, normal format, quick format etc. I upgraded MOBO bios as well marvell chip drivers and the problem still persists. The only way to make it work is to connect the SSD to SATA 3G ports.

So I'm start wandering if there is any compatibility issue between Force 3 120G and Marvell on-board 91xx chip. If this is true then there is no way I can get full benefits from SATA 6G, and I doubt if RMA would solve it.

Anyone got any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

I got my Force 3 120GB 3 days ago (batch #1124 from Australian distributor ALTECH) and spent 2 nights to install win 7 on it but without any luck. My MOBO is GA P55A-UD3 rev 1.0 and the only 2 SATA 6G ports are supported by Marvell on-board SATA 6G controller chip. BTW AHCI is always on.

The major problem is I can't even format my drive. Both windows installer and diskpart didn't work. In diskpart I've tried everything, clean, normal format, quick format etc. I upgraded MOBO bios as well marvell chip drivers and the problem still persists. The only way to make it work is to connect the SSD to SATA 3G ports.

So I'm start wandering if there is any compatibility issue between Force 3 120G and Marvell on-board 91xx chip. If this is true then there is no way I can get full benefits from SATA 6G, and I doubt if RMA would solve it.

Anyone got any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

:D:

I have a gigabyte UD7 P55A, connected ssd of Marvel 91xx, it works perfectly

I installed the latest motherboard bios F8b and i have followed this procedure

My installation ..

CMOS clear

No overclocking

SSDs connected ahci sata 2 (p55)

7 64-bit Windows installed

install DirectX 10

motherboard drivers Inf + Audio + LAN etc. .. / Driver 1.2.0.1003 WHQL Marvel / Marvel Installed console / vga driver

Matrix Storage Installed

Updated win7

Installed Windows 6.1-KB976932-X64

Updated win7

Pc restart

SSD connected to the control of Marvel ahci (Sata3)

PC restarts

SSD controllers found on Marvel

PC restarts

overclocking

pch core 1.15v<--------

Test Ok ssd

Overclocking tests ok

SSD scores 7.9 win7

Installed anti-virus etc..

I'm happy

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/testssdmarvelcontrol.jpg/

I have the same problem.

Amazingly the same supplier & similiar/same motherboard (mine is GA P55A-UD3P)

I have also been struggling to install Windows 7 64bit Ultimate over the last few days. Can only get it to work on the 3G ports.

I have tried installing windows when connected via the 3G ports (works fine) the swapping it to the Marvel 6G port, but windows hangs on startup.

My guess is a BIOS issue with this MB (Given that F13 was to improve SATA3 HDD compatibility)

i also tried all day yesterday.i have the gigabyte ga-x58-ud3r board with the marvell controller.i managed in the end.what i did was download the newest 9128 driver from http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm (top one on the last box on the page)restart then you'll find that the drive does not show up in my computer.go to start and type in disk manager in search.that will show the drive.format it and set up your partiton in there then the drive shows up in my computer.then you should be able to install windows using ahci on your 6gb port.i'm also getting the same speeds as maxmix65.not full speed but very good on the marvell.hope this helps.please let us know if it does

p.s i booted into windows using my old install on the machanical hdds and installed the marvell driver on that first,then it found the ssd

I have a Ga-x58a-udr3 board and the same thing has happened, it will allow me to format drive and I noticed windows makes a 100 meg partition and the rest is C: drive. But when it starts to un-compress on the drive to install. It will only progress to 15% and hang.

So what you guys are saying is attach the ssd to one of the sata 2 connections and then after installation change the plug over to the Marvell sata 3 connection? I will also d/l the latest driver just in case.

I have updated the Marvell firmware using files from http://www.station-drivers.com, but that didn't help.

I tried another SATA cable that has SATAII & SATA III printed on it and it worked for a while. On subsequent reboots it hung on windows start up. So cable improves the problem, but not reliable enough to me.

Looking through this forum it seem that there are outstanding issues with Marvell controllers & SATAIII speeds, I think I will wait for a solution to come and use a SATAII port for now.

what i did was install the latest marvell driver on my old c drive which is on the ich10r copntroller in raid 0 i. ithen plugged the ssd into the marvell 6gb socket and booted into the old c drive.the ssd didnt show up in my computer so i went into disk manager where it showed up as an unallocated drive.you then format it and it should then show up in windows.then set bios to start using dvdrom drive as first bootup device and install windows on the ssd

Thanks heaps guys!

I'll give another try tonight!

I have same issue, with Marvell chipset

I also purchased my 2 Disks from Altech Australia LOL i have an ASUS board Rampage Formula III ?

i have put in RA for 240 gig and then i put all my attention to the 128 i have and notice oh this ones faulty too, it wouldn't copy 30 gig file from 1 disk to another without locking up the system and i waited 15 minutes before i realised it was't going to come good

perhaps its the board chipset controller ? :(

works fine with my hitachi 3 tb sata 3 disk tho

UPDATE,been running the drive now since saturday evening with no freezes and no bsods.still got 76% free on the drive and i'm still getting reads of 400mb and writes of 247mb in atto which as far as i know is good on the marvell.my i7 930 is running at 4.2ghz and is watercooled so doesnt get hot.will marvell release a new driver so we can get max speeds or is the marvell restricted hardware wise so we will never get the full speed?

I have a GA-X58A-UDR3 MB, 120GB force 3 ssd. I first started on the Marvell controller with a usb version of win7 ultimate x64 sp1. It formatted the drive then hung of the decompression of the files onto the ssd. I came to this thread and read all of the comments and followed the following procedure.

1. changed to AHCI sata 2 port and installed win7 with no worries.

2. replugged to Marvell sata 3 port and rebooted.

Until I got all the updates and new drivers, I had 6-8 BSOD. Now for the past 12 hours a clean boot and a quick system.

I have same issue, with Marvell chipset

I also purchased my 2 Disks from Altech Australia LOL i have an ASUS board Rampage Formula III ?

i have put in RA for 240 gig and then i put all my attention to the 128 i have and notice oh this ones faulty too, it wouldn't copy 30 gig file from 1 disk to another without locking up the system and i waited 15 minutes before i realised it was't going to come good

perhaps its the board chipset controller ? :(

works fine with my hitachi 3 tb sata 3 disk tho

Based on what we have been finding in the lab, just for testing if you are interested and if you have a SHORT SSD cable, try using a different SSD cable. The shortest you can possibly use.

Latest update:

:D:

I have a gigabyte UD7 P55A, connected ssd of Marvel 91xx, it works perfectly

I installed the latest motherboard bios F8b and i have followed this procedure

My installation ..

CMOS clear

No overclocking

SSDs connected ahci sata 2 (p55)

7 64-bit Windows installed

install DirectX 10

motherboard drivers Inf + Audio + LAN etc. .. / Driver 1.2.0.1003 WHQL Marvel / Marvel Installed console / vga driver

Matrix Storage Installed

Updated win7

Installed Windows 6.1-KB976932-X64

Updated win7

Pc restart

SSD connected to the control of Marvel ahci (Sata3)

PC restarts

SSD controllers found on Marvel

PC restarts

overclocking

pch core 1.15v<--------

Test Ok ssd

Overclocking tests ok

SSD scores 7.9 win7

Installed anti-virus etc..

I'm happy

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/testssdmarvelcontrol.jpg/

I've tried do it this way, at first I can get into windows with SSD connected to SATA3 port but soon there are BSOD or blue screen popped up. Can't stay up for more than 5 minutes. The drive usually dropped out and I have to power down my computer completely (use the hard switch on PSU), wait for 1 minute or so, then power on to let my MOBO detected the drive again.

I've also tried vectisitch's suggestion, I CAN format the SSD in my old Windows 7 without any issue, but when I was trying to install a new Windows 7 on the SSD, the process was always interrupted by error messages like "can't find xxx file" or "registry error". No luck so far.

Honestly, I just gave up after 4 nights unsuccessful attempting, that's OK, I can use it as a SATA2 SSD drive for the time being anyway, it's still pretty fast on SATA2 port, not that bad though.

So I installed Windows 7 with SSD connecting to SATA2 port this Wednesday without problem, and the system seems to be quite good. Then yesterday evening my computer suddenly freeze for 1 minutes then a blue screen--the SSD dropped again, even with SATA2 port! You know I only use my computer from 7pm to 11pm on weekdays, and only 2 days past the SSD dropped again. I have no choice but to send a RMA request to Corsair.

To Yellowbeard:

I've purchased 2 SATA3 cables along with the SSD drive, I tried both on the SSD but the problem remains the same. The length of these cables is pretty much the same as the SATA2 cables came with my Gigabyte P55A-UD3 MOBO. And this is the only SATA3 cable I can get from the supplier.

Hope this update is helpful for you guys.

UPDATE,been running the drive now since saturday evening with no freezes and no bsods.still got 76% free on the drive and i'm still getting reads of 400mb and writes of 247mb in atto which as far as i know is good on the marvell.my i7 930 is running at 4.2ghz and is watercooled so doesnt get hot.will marvell release a new driver so we can get max speeds or is the marvell restricted hardware wise so we will never get the full speed?

The marvel controller is limited as far as speed is concerned because it's hanging of a Pcie x1 lane. max theoretical throughput is 500MB minus overhead. If you are getting reads in the 400's then you are probably maxed out.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but if it only helps one person then it will be worth it. The steps below were post by a gentleman named kriztjan.

Booted Parted magic and did a erase disk

Installed the disk on SATA2 port and installed Win7, worked!

Installed all updates and installed this new Marvel SATA3 driver http://www.station-drivers.com/page/marvell.htm scroll down and youll find it, released 08/06/11

installed the drive on the SATA3 port again and booted up, it has been working since yesterday, no problems at all, no freezing, BSOD etc

I followed these directions to the letter and the only thing that changed was that the Marvell driver that Kriztjan is referring to did not work for me, I ended up letting Win 7 find the driver off the internet. I'm also using a Sata III cable that came with my motherboard (Asus Rampage III Formula). Below is a benchie I just ran.

http://i52.tinypic.com/24bogo7.jpg

update.been running with no problems since 25th june.just had a lockup.it would not unlock on it's own so had to restart.no problems on the restart so far

p.s event viewer gave a critical error( kernel power, event id 41, task category 63

well since the lockup it's not done it since but i am getting delays in opening programs,so it's no better than a mechanical hd.like stutters really.also when i had the lockup i could not move the mouse pointer like a lot of people report.nothing from corsair for a while.nothing from yellowbeard and it's not inspiring confidence that this is getting sorted.i have tried all suggestions so there is nothing more to try unless corsair come up with a fix.also on the marvell controller the drive is no faster than say an intel 510 so maybe i'll rma and switch to the more reliable intel.i'm not willing to wait much longer

you know these disks are starting to give me grey hair...

I don't know how many times i can install windows 7 / change sata cables before i go mad..

Altech are refusing to give me a credit saying its my board and i've tested it with other sata3 chipsets

so i guess i'm stuck witht he paper weights until i can sort out my problem

Hi,

You normally only want to quick format an ssd (alignment issues etc.). My Force GT shows up as unallocated in the Windows 7 installer and works just fine for installing on. Windows does a quick format of it before installing anyway.

Archived