Corsair Community

Asus P8P67 and CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 - POST Fail

rsteinle

I searched forum, read many posts, and followed recommended procedures to isolate problem. However I still have a hard POST failure with solid red Mem light. My previous build using Corsair Dominator and Corsair PS was like a dream. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Test Configuration => Disconnected everything except GPU & primary HDD. Remove all front and rear panel plugs for additional USB, eSATA, Audio, etc.

MEMORY =>

First Try - Ordered Corsair Dominator CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2 x 4GB) which I figured should work. Why select less then the BEST Corsair makes. However, it Fails POST. Tried 2 DIMMs, 1 DIMM, secondary memory slots, etc.; clearing CMOS in between and pressing Mem Button after solid Red Mem light. System tried to re-boots several times, rate of blinking red increases, and eventually goes solid again.

Second Try - Double Check ASUS and Corsair supported RAM for above system. Both list Corsair CMX8GX3M4A1600C9(XMP) 8GB (4 x 2GB). I would prefer 2 X 4 GB, but ordered above with 4 x 2GB as that was only choice listed in manual. Same POST procedure and results as above. It Failed every time.

Third Try (pending) - Corsair RAM configurator lists.. CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (Vengeance) as preferred RAM, 8GB (2 x 4GB). If this will REALLY fix the problem, I'll order it. HOWEVER - Given my 2nd try RAM is listed by Corsair and ASUS as "supported" but fails POST. Why should Vengeance RAM work when the other won't..? Is this a Sandy Bridge thing with RAM voltage of 1.65 versus 1.5...?

Can I RMA RAM directly with Corsair for correct item..?

RAM Guy & Corsair support, Thanks in advance for you valued assistance. Note - This build is for my wife, and she is starting to lose confidence in me right now.

Thanks, Rob Steinle

Wired... Thanks for reply and fixing my first post above...

This is a new build from scratch. MB has never passed POST. Is there a way to change memory voltage without having access to BIOS...?

The tested Memory modules above do NOT indicate Sandy Bridge compatibly one way or the other

TPU switch set to Off (default) for all testing

Thanks.. Rob

I went with Try-3 in above post, and overnighted the Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 listed as guaranteed to work, and designed for Sandy Bridge with 1.5 Volt.

Tried all of the previous tests. All result in POST Fail. Red Mem OK LED lights solid within half second of power on. After 12 seconds or so.. press Mem OK button, system cycles through several configurations, always resulting in solid Red Mem OK LED

Removed 12GB matched dominator RAM from my P6X58D system with i7-960 CPU. Inserted 8GB RAM above as dual channel configuration (A2 & B2) Everything booted up A-OK. CPU-Z sees memory as DDR3, 8-8-8-24, XMP, etc.

I assume this indicates the RAM is GOOD.. :)

Remove P8P67 MB from case and breadboard on bench with 3 layers towel under it. POST still fails all test configurations. Clear CMOS between each test.

Finally removed all RAM. Clear CMOS. Turn power on, Mem OK LED turns solid red within half a second. After 9 seconds, speaker beeps: Long.. Short.. Short.. (repeats) MB manual says code represents.. No Memory Present.

Repeat above test with both RAM and GPU card removed. Same result - it beeps.. Long, Short, Short. It does not get to.. Long, Short, Short, Short indicating no graphics card.

However, this leaves the mother board or the Sandy Bridge i5-2500 CPU as the problem area. Which one do you think is the problem so I can RMA it.

Thanks for your valued opinion. Rob

I would start with the board. But if you are still within return allowed dates i would just RMA them both and save the chance of waiting for one to be returned only to find out it was the other. But to me it sounds like a board issue above anything else.

Peanutz94, thanks for the suggestion. Ordered both from Newegg. Anyone know if they will ship RMA replacement prior to receiving returned item... if you pay for it up front.

Do I just declare both items as defective and return them for replacements..?

I don't know about advanced RMA through newegg. I do deal with them but never had to RMA anything. I would just declare both items defective and go from there. If they do give you a hassle about it, i would start with the board first tho.

Out of three PC builds all from Newegg, this is the first time I have ever had to RMA a defective item. I use their automated RMA process for both items on the same RMA. Everything is boxed and ready to ship out, used their automated UPS return pre-paid shipping label. Thanks again for the great suggestion to RMA both items. LIke you said it's about the only way you can stay within the 30 day RMA period.

Bottom Line - Corsair RAM is reliable and rock solid..

I am having similar memory problems with same MOBO but Deluxe edition. Asus web site does not list Corsair's recommended memory on their QVL. I called Asus and they confirmed it. How can I be assured that the CMZ8GX3M2A1600c8 (2x4Gb) at 1.5v will work? Will I need to increase v to some other value to get system to boot? I am having system crashes and readboot problems that were identified by Microsoft Tech support. Each error could be attributed to my current mem G.Skill that was suppost to work. Any ideas Memory Guy?

• Corsair Employees
We do not provide our memory to any MB manufacturer as we do our own testing and just because a specific part is not on the MB makers QVL list does not mean it will not work only they have not tested them. I would suggest looking your MB up on our memory configurator or looking on the Intel solution product page

Hi Ram Guy... When I get the solid Red Mem OK LED (i.e. Failed Memory) on ASUS P8P67 MB, and subsequently determine the Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 "tests good" in a different PC, what does this indicate...?

If I didn't have another PC that supports DDR3 RAM to test it in... I would think the memory was Bad... However, Now... I know Corsair RAM is Not the problem; but I'm hoping you might have some valued insight as to what all this really means to help others that encounter this problem... Thanks... Rob

• Corsair Employees

That would suggest you have a Bad CPU or bad memory socket on the MB.

However, what happens if you only install them one module at a time does it display the same symptom with either module one up?

Thanks Ram Guy... I did try them one module at a time, same problem. Also tried alternate memory slots A2 (not recommended) - Same problem.

I did an RMA on the MB and the CPU... Both at the same time.

It doesn't seam right that the Mem OK LED indicates bad memory if that's not the case

• Corsair Employees
Well we are working on assumptions here and some common sense, knowing our memory and what we test it would be close to impossible that you would get two dead modules from us; as we test every set of modules on a MB at their rated speed before they leave our factory so if one worked and one did not I would say lets replace the modules but if both modules display the same symptom the odds against that would millions to one and I would have to suggest you purchase a lottery ticket. Because luck is not prejudice. As my Great grand Pappy use to say he would take it any way he could get it! ;-)

Archived