Corsair Community

H50 Placement

john909

Hello.

I just bought a T600 case and an H50 cooling system.After experimenting with positioning the radiator so as the hoses dont come in contact with the case on sides I came up with this (photo).

The radiator hoses are on the bottom and I am just worried if I am applying any kind of excessive pressure on the hoses and may risk them to break.

What is your opinion?

Thank you.

25062011055.thumb.jpg.ad5b451fa61c50c2a73c07edf489efc9.jpg

I've never seen anyone position their h50 that way doesn't that hit ur side panel the way u installed the radiator? you should take that radiator and turn it clockwise or counter clockwise so the hoses are either at top or bottom (Horizontally so you dont see the serial number).

Ok changed the position.I think it's good now (photo 1).

The problem is I get high temps on boot - In BIOS I get 51 C (122 F) which is high (photo 2).

I think I should be around 10 C degrees lower.Any ideas?

PS - Motherboard fan control (Asus Q-Fan) is disabled for everything (CPU fan, chassis fan).

instl.thumb.jpg.819ead5c039a2223a1c7639feeb9236a.jpg

tempz.thumb.jpg.a650e430e68d5604a310841bfbcdac8c.jpg

Now this is both relieving but confusing too.

In both Aida64 and HW monitor (Sandy Bridge support - check Photo) I get similar core temps around 35C which is what I expect.

but what is the 51C I get on the ASUS bios?

Any ideas are welcome.

tempz.thumb.jpg.e71f19064dffbd02a1467a53cf7410b2.jpg

BIOS is not idle, it's anywhere from 40%-60% load. Thus, higher temps.

Sorry but what exactly is producing a 40 to 60% load on the CPU when in BIOS mode?

Anyway I am further testing and comparing to an i5-750 with H50 I have. I used Intel Burn test (using maximum stressing and five rounds).

Through HW monitor I recorded these:

i5 cores - min 35C and max 59C

i7 cores - min 30C and max 66C

CPUTIN remained 60C for i7 (unchanged) while it reached 60C (from 39C) for i5.That is a little confusing.

Another thing is that in AIDA64 while the CPU was reported as i7 2600k @ 3800 which is correct (under stress TURBO mode was emerging) the cores individually were shown as being at 3400 which is kinda confusing - shouldn't they all be at 3800?

I am asking this question because the CPU voltage never went over 1,19 and I am afraid of the system being throttling the CPU because of overheating - that is easy to test by disabling the feature inside the BIOS and that's what I intend to do and keep you posted.

Thanks.

Turbo boost only activates when 1 or more cores are not active.

In other words if all of your cores are at 100% your turbo mode will not activate thus lower speed. Don't pay attention to bios cpu temp, just d/l programs like core temps or real temp to monitor your core temperatures. 66 max is not that bad on i7 although it can be lower but that can be heavily influenced by your room temperature. Your intake fans only takes the air surrounding your case and if ur room is hot it can only blow hotter air inside your case

Youngd8 you are right.I repeated stress test got same results (around 66C max, case is open) and CPU was reported at 3511 MHz (CPU-Z).Forgot about TURBO mode rule, thanks for reminding.

Well ambient temp must be around 28C (estimate) so I think I am good at 35C on average per core, when on windows desktop.The fact I get similar numbers on the i5/H50 rig seems encouraging (i5 and i7 have same TDP).

The thing with core temp and real temp is that they are old and maybe dont support Z-68 sensors, but I will try.

I need to finish temp testing so that I proceed to O/C ::pirate:::cool:

u may also want to try putting your radiator as an exhaust instead of intake to see if it makes any difference in temperature. This really depends on what case you have but my case actually got better result as setting it as an exhaust. by the looks of your video card it looks like your video card exhaust air out through the back of the case and setting the h50 as an intake will draw back the hot air blown by the gpu. It's all trial and error but it's 50/50 some say they get better temps as intake some say they get better results with exhaust. But make sure you put your top fan on high or medium if you wanna set up as an intake. Yes you get more fresh air to cool the radiator but you also put more hot air inside your case through ram, gpu, motherboard etc... you need that top fan to exhaust out the warm air efficiently setting it as an intake so none of those warm air stays inside your case.

The corsair 600T case which I am using, has two 200mm fans, one on top and one on the front.Both put air inside.The fact that the radiator fan also pushes air inside, may be an issue because I won't be having an "exhaust fan" to pull hot air out.

In fact there was an exhaust fan, where the radiator was mounted.

This is an interesting point which haven't yet thought because I am still with an open case experimenting.:sunglasse

Either I am going with one fan on the radiator reversed as you described, or I am thinking of using the spare 120mm fan that was on the case in a "push and pull" design on the radiator.

How did Corsair missed that?:roll:

Archived