Corsair Community

Set speed to 1600 and got CPU got 15C hotter

deadsnow

Hey, I recently purchased the new Corsair Vengeance 8GB Low Profile memory (CML8GX3M2A1600C9) and built my new rig the other night. Monitored my temps, and the average was 30C idle. Though today, I noticed my BIOS detects it at 1333MHz by default; so I manually changed it to 1600MHz and set the timings. Now my idle temps are about 45C.

Is there any reason why it went up so much higher just because I set the RAM to the frequency it was made for? Can this be fixed?

I ran Prime95 and hit 70C with no overclock, I want to overclock but I am scared that the temps will be too high because of the 15C increase the RAM put in.

Any help is truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well I installed Core Temp when it was running at 1333MHz and at 5% load (I am only using my new rig for browsing the internet until my HDD comes in) I had about 29-32C.

I noticed that my RAM was only rated at 7.6 on WEI so I checked the BIOS and it said it was running at 1333MHz. I changed it to 1600MHz, adjusted the timings, and now Core Temp shows my idle temps to be around 44C.

Here is a pic of my temps with almost no load: http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8991/tempsfw.jpg

Edit: should I manually set the core voltage? Often changes from 1.128V to 1.304V.

Compare your idle temps in BIOS to Core Temp. You may possibly be getting a false reading from Core Temp.

The Vcore changing is part of the Intel power saving for the CPU. It's not a bad thing but some people turn those off when OCing. It helps reduce power consumption and therefore, heat also.

The idle temps in my bios said 45C, roughly the same; Asus AI Suite says 46C. Is this normal anyway? I thought most people idle around 35C and maybe 45C when they OC.

Just ran another test of Prime95 to see if it was different than what I had yesterday, still the same in the 68-71C region. 0% load now and getting 44-45C.

I OC'd my rig to 4.7GHz and it idles at about 50-54C. Running Prime 95 at 100% load, I am getting 90-95C. I guess I won't overclock and I'll just use RAM at 1600MHz.

Thank you for all of your help.

Just FYI, running the RAM at 1600 IS OCing.....of the memory controller ::pirate::

Just FYI, running the RAM at 1600 IS OCing.....of the memory controller ::pirate::

Haha true, didn't cross my mind.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.0 GHz, adjusted the VRM, and left everything else at Stock and ran Prime95 for 7 minutes without errors. Lows were 44C and High was 78C. I think this is a safe configuration because I don't think I will ever make the CPU run at 100% since I play games that are about 4 years old.

Thanks a lot again.

What CPU Cooler are you using? You might consider another CPU Cooler!

I am using a Corsair A70 with the fans spinning at 1600rpm (the 2000rpm ones do nothing better to be honest and are extremely loud).

I don't know if I figured out the problem but I found a solution. I enabled CPU C1E, C3, and C6 on my P8P67 Pro. My idle temps hit a low of about 32C now.

Archived