Corsair Community

Funny humming noise

nstgc

I've concluded that all Corsair powersupplies make bad sounds. Be it a badly off balance fan or electrical arcing, they all make sounds. One sound I haven't heard in a while, is the "funky humming whiling playing a 3D game" sound. Last time I had this, I think, was when I owned a Rosewill PSU.

What is that sound and is it bad? Should I just ignore it?

[edit] And I have made sure that it is indeed the power supply. I pulled the PSU out, with everything still connected. Its definitely the PSU.

[edit2] One other thing I should mention, this PSU is very new. It started making that noise about a week after I purchased it and its been almost 3 weeks since I bought the power supply.

That was my disgruntled way of saying "I may be worried about nothing". And of the 5 Corsair PSUs I've owned every one of them made a noise that they weren't suppose to make. When functioning normally these things are suppose to be inadible in comparison to the rest of the case, however, when they aren't functioning as they are suppose to, they can be quite noisy. Mine are examples.

For whatever reason I have terrible luck. I don't doubt the 2 thousend users on Newegg who think the TX750 is the great PSU in the world, just that I fall in that rare 0.1%. Being in that rare 0.1%, I want to know if I should be worried.

from my point of view, all your Corsair products make noises because there might be something wrong with your 110/220V power supply.

Make sure you have earthing/grounding socket (even if the power cord of the PSU has this grounding pin, you need to make sure that the wall socket is also grounded) and that your grounding is proper (i.e. not the same as with the neutral point of your supply).

If it's possible for you, just take your PC on another room or (if you can tell) on another electrical circuit from your house.

The noise is usually given by the resonance phenomena which appears when both capacitive and inductive loads are on the same circuit, other than that it might be given by iron core of a transformer (and while I don't know how Corsair is building his PSU transformers I highly doubt that such a small power transformer on such a high quality PSU can make audible noise).

In you particular case, the capacitive and inductive quantities in your circuit (PSU and all the PC components, other house appliances connected on the same circuit as your PSU and all the stray capacities of the cables from your house) might end up in having the resonance at exactly your network frequency (resonance will occur anyway, but we don't see it everyday because most of the time it's on a different frequency that your network)

from my point of view, all your Corsair products make noises because there might be something wrong with your 110/220V power supply.

I doubt that's the problem. We are earth grounded here, and most of the time the noise is the fan. There have been two other times (out of many PSUs) that I've heard a sound like this. In the case of the aforementioned Rosewill, it was a combination of motherboard and PSU (I don't understand why, but the sound was coming from the mobo near the CPU). Replacing the PSU, with a Corsair 620 in fact, fixed that problem.

Are you using a UPS or a surge protector?

Yes, I am using a surge protector.

One other thing I should mention, and I'll add this to the opening post, this PSU is very new. It started making that noise about a week after I purchased it and its been almost 3 weeks since I bought the power supply.

Archived