Corsair Community

CMPSU HX850 12V regulation

lockero

I have bought this CMPSU 850HX power supply from Corsair for the system that can be seen from my registration information.

Everything worked fine for about 13months - until one week ago after the system was unplugged from the wall socket for 8 days.

When I got home, plug it in and used it from about 3hours. Next day it was running for about 2 hours when the PC powered off by itself.

It happened all of a sudden and I could only hear some fans increasing the speed for about 1 or 2 seconds until everything was quiet.

Initially it didn't powered on even though I tried unplugging it from wall socket and waiting about 30min.

I opened the PC case looking for some visible problems but I couldn't find none (I keep the PC on a table and therefore it's rather clean).

Trying random things I noticed that the power supply powered on when I disconnected the additional 12V 6pins connector from the motherboard (of course the system didn't boot without that connector, but at least it was a step forward).

After putting that connector back the system powered back on and everything worked fine for about 10min more when all of a sudden on the 1TB drives was no longer recognized by windows.

I powered on again and in BIOS I could see that the 12V voltage was about 10.47 - 10.508V only ...

From this moment I only tried to run it without some HDD and the DVD unit but the voltage stayed the same regardless if it had only the boot HDD or all 3 of them.

During the morning I took it out to RMA it to the local store, the 12V reading from BIOS was showing only 9.9V (now in red colour) - of course, it took me about 3 or 4 attempts until I could get it to BIOS to see the voltage.

Now, I'm pretty sure that the PSU is damaged (right now I'm waiting for the local store analysis verdict) but I need your opinion on the fact that the voltage regulation was failing slowly.

In my experience all the complex electronics devices have died all of a sudden and not slowly degrading over time - it is possible that the problem is not only related to the power supply ?

• Corsair Employees
That is a strange problem, and one I have not seen before. I would wait and see what your tech says but for sure if they feel its the PSU please submit the request using the link on the left and we will be happy to replace it.

• Corsair Employees
Showing 9.9 Volts is not normal and there are no other posts stating that same thing that I am aware of. However, the regulation is on the MB to some extent and why we suggested checking with a VOM to be sure its not miss reading.

Archived