Corsair Community

faulty ram or compatibility issues?

tomasrs4

Hello,

Recenty I have built my gaming rig (which specs you can see in my profile) and one problem occured. I cant get to work my corsair 2x2 1600mhz CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 ram - only one module works. If i put them both - memory led appears and computer wont boot (ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 motherboard), if i put them in separately only one module of 2 works, each time i put that other one, memok! button lights red, so im assuming that module is faulty? Bios is the only one and newest one as far as I know for REV 3.1 motherboards.

Thank you.

Just to be clear, have you tried this:

1. Clear the CMOS

2. Reboot with a single module, disable legacy USB support, enable XMP.

3. Reboot and run Memtest for 3-5 passes. Memtest is linked to your left.

Repeat these 3 steps with the other module.

Just now tried to clear CMOS, ran the memtest and both ram worked! But then i went to bios , set to XMP, and red light again appeared after reboot. And now I cant get them to work again even when clearing cmos... Whats going on?? Is it ram or what :(:

>>

Repeat these 3 steps with the other module.

With one of the modules I cannot boot and go to bios to do these things... I just can use the memtest button on the motherboard, which does not help.

Hi Tomas,

I actually have a very similar issue. Same Mobo, Corsair Vengeance ram. One stick (either module) works in Slot #2, but when second is placed in Slot #4 for dual channel I get the DRAM boot error. For mine if I install the modules in Slot #1 and #2 I can boot up with 8gb of ram but I lose the Dual Channel capabilities. Not sure what the deal is. I am using the latest BIOS as well (I think its 1606 now?). I will be following your thread and also will keep you updated if I can figure out my issue as they may be the same thing :). Hopefully the #1 and #2 slots will work for you in the interim.

Thanks!

Sorry, but i think you all misunderstood me. One stick of my ram does not work at all! Even when sticked alone. I definitely thought that stick was faulty and was about to send it, but then i took both of the ram to my friend and it works perfectly on his system! Is it possible that that stick IS faulty, but my mobo knows that and wont run it, and my friends mobo somehow does not know that and runs it (he has low end msi board, though it can run those ram at 1600mhz), we did not try any tests. I guess I should start from that. What do you think??

Hi Tomas,

I figured out my issue. It was my motherboard. Something was messed up with my 3rd and 4th slot. Not sure if it is the same problem you are having but it fixed my issue. Good luck with yours!

PS: Did you try running the Intel Processor checker? It can make sure your memory controller on your chip is good.

edit: saw that other sticks of ram worked in your machine so it probably isn't your mother board. very strange issue you have....

Archived