Corsair Community

asus a8n-sli deluxe - TWINX1024-3200XL ram

nekronos

I built this system back in 2005 and have recently been interested in upgrading it. Originally a friend setup the memory settings in the bios manually but I had some issues with the motherboard and the settings were reset sometime ago.

What would a good configuration be for my memory?

edit: this apparently is how it looked before I had an error, "cmos checksum error" sounds like the battery on my motherboard needs replacing?

Currently, its set to auto in the bios, which appears to be running @ 266 mhz

and timing of 2.5-2-2-5, I'm not sure on the voltage, that's also set to auto.

the ram is supposed to be running at 200 mhz and 2-2-2-5 or atleast so it says.

I'm not sure how its running at 266 since its ddr 400, I don't have anything overclocked, everything is just auto.

back to normal.... the memory defaults to "auto" @ 400mhz and cl= 2.5 , rcd/rp = 3 with ras =5, 1t/2t = 2T

also have settings for rc , rfc, rwt, wr

what should these settings be set to?

As for the upgrading part, I was looking at this pair: http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=5085

the CL is slightly slower at 2.5 versus 2 as well as slower timings all around. Would it be worth adding that extra 1GB of slower ram or not?

thanks

• Corsair Employees
ON AMD they were rated at Cas 2.5 but you can try Cas 2.0 if its stable then go for it and if you mix two sets which is not officially supported DDR333 would be suggested and 2T Command Rate is mandatory and you will likely have to increase the CPU/NB Voltage +.2 Volts as well.

ah, ok, I will try the cas2 then, with 2.8 volts or 2.75?

this is the archive i looked up on the forums for my pair:

Motherboard make and model: Asus P4C800/-E and/or Asus A7N8X

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

DRAM Clock: 200 MHz

SDRAM VDIMM: 2.75

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum recommended VDIMM: 2.9

for adding the 2nd pair - both pairs are rated at 400mhz - ddr400, I should set it lower to ddr333 if I add the 2nd pair?

would that be worth it? Is having that 2nd pair at slower speeds going to improve performance overall?

What's recommended when adding a 2nd pair to what I have already?

I would like to add a 2nd pair of TWINX1024-3200XL but I don't see it sold anywhere.

thanks for the quick replies

mixing 2 pairs is not supported or suggested unfortunately.

i have a set of BH-5 corsair 2,2,2,5 ram 3200LL i run (well ran since my nf7-s died) it at 2,2,2,11 2t for best stability and great overclocking.

http://liquidninjas.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=1676&stc=1&d=1095570273

It is in fact possible to run two pairs of 2-2-2-5 rated memory (2 pairs of 2x512MB) from two different manufacturers (1 set of Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO, the other from another manufacturer which I unfortunately can't mention here) at 400MHz without issue. I know because I've done it.

When I did it I just set everything in the memory/DRAM settings to auto and all four sticks ran fine at CL2-2-2-5-2T Command Rate and 200MHz FSB/DDR400 in my Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (which is an AMD board), and I think I had the voltage at 2.6V just in case. It ran just fine like that for me, and showed no instabilities of any kind.

Running four sticks like this though unfortunately actually resulted in reduced performance for me though, probably because of the additional strain on the memory controller, so I might recommend you upgrade to two 1GB sticks if you're looking to upgrade to 2GB of memory, which is what it sounds like you're wanting to do.

I would like to add a 2nd pair of TWINX1024-3200XL but I don't see it sold anywhere.

thanks for the quick replies

Unfortunately Corsair stopped producing the XL memory sticks around 2006/2007 I believe. This is because that is around the same time the manufacturer of the DRAM chips that went into that memory stopped making them.

It is still possible to find sticks of them used now and then, but they are getting rare.

Archived