Corsair Community

PC reboots at gpu stress

sandz

Hello guys,

To make a long story short, my corsair 800gs psu died after 3 months of usage, rma ed and got a replacement, this 2nd one died again in two weeks, didnt want to rma anymore so talked to vendor who gave me a replacement of another corsair 800gs....ran fine for a couple of weeks of light usage.

since my xams were goin on so didnt get much time with the pc, after its over started playing games, occassional hd movies from yesterday.

i faced some random display off's and sometimes its stuck at grey brown pattern screen,while playing games and pc is at peak load, and sometimes at idle did some searching and got some gpu stress tests. Now when i ran these tests, the pc reboots or gives grey screen after 50-60 seconds. the tests never got past 2 minutes. The gpu temps never exceed 76 deg celcius. However i ran tests lowering the 750 mhz GPU core clock to 500 mhz and the tests ran fine for half an hr without a hitch.

Most of the forums says that these reboots happen if the psu doesn't provide adequate power, but i thought the gs800 would have been fairly adequate for my system.

can anyone tell me what seems to be the problem. Can this be a faulty batch of psu and all from the same batch came to me :(: or is this a gpu problem ?

Another rma would be a nightmare for me

This actually sounds like a fault graphics card to me . Especially since lowering the clock rate down helped with the issue. Do you have a spare card or one you could borrow from a friend to test with?

The PSU you have should be MORE than enough for that system.

i tested with a friends nvidia 9800, the system ran fine...though the 9800 draws less power than my HD 4870, but now im havin another issue....

all of a sudden my system refuses to power on...the psu failed the paperclip test, i was utterly frustrated cos this 3rd psu has also died, left my sytem, went to sleep.

In the morning thought i would give it one more try before taking it out to rma, and what do u know the system is running again, psu runs without a hitch.

So can anyone tell me if this is sign of another dying psu ?? is there any way to test if its faulty ??

What are the chances of 3 Consecutive psu failing the same way ?? can any damaged component in my pc damage the psu everytime ?

If the PSU failed the paperclip test then it means the PSu is not working. also it is interesting that 3 consecutive PSUs have died. i think your wall socket may be faulty or overloaded. try a different wall socket or get a licensed electrician to check for any problems.

Archived