Corsair Community

Coil ring: dangerous or just annoying?

Abriael

I have a TX750W and i'm suffering from the infamous coil ring (most call it a whine, but to me it sounds more like an high picthed ring, not very loud, but enough to be heard). I already tried all the solutions offered in the sticky thread.

It happens only when running graphically intensive applications, so I guess it's some resonance with the video card (Gainward Geforce GTX 460 1GB) when under stress. Funny part is that when the framerate stutters, the ring also stops for the duration of the stutter.

I normally use an Headset, so the noise in itself isn't a problem. That's why i would be inclined not to RMA the PSU (I also need my PC for work and I can't afford a prolonged downtime, in addition to it, i'd rather save the money for shipping a package overseas, since I'm in italy and I'd have to send my PSU to netherlands).

Now I'm wondering, is the sound just annoying or I'm actually facing the danger of a disastrous PSU failure? If it's just an annoyance (that normally I can't even hear due to the headset), I'll keep it, otherwise I'll be forced to RMA.

• Corsair Employees

No its not a problem, it happens with high out put PSU's and is fairly common in fact I have had a issue like this and it took me a year to find that a small fridge in my kitchen that was on the same Circuit was the cause of the Noise or Buzz I was getting. I would check the grounding on your outlet that is the most common cause of that type of issue is improper grounding.

If you have a long extension cord try connecting the computer to a outlet in your bathroom or garage next to a washer these outlets have to be GF protected and require proper grounding to work. Just to test. But if you still hear that then by all means we can try and replace the PSU for you. Just use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can repalce it.

Could the ringing you are referring to be described, perhaps instead, as a humming? I would call a ring something that has constant volume and frequency, but what I'm experiencing has a slight variation in volume. The oscillation is very fast and could almost be considered constant.

[edit] Yellow beard asked me if my PSU was plugged into a surge protector. Is yours (the ops) also plugged into one. Also, what is the significance of that?

Archived