Corsair Community

Upgrading vs price

filed

To make it simple, I'm a student and cash is tight.

I have 4 sticks of 1GB corsair RAM (See my profile for details) and am wanting to upgrade the ammount of RAM I have.

I am very curious as to if it would be advisable to replace 2 of the 1GB sticks for 2GB sticks, giving me a total of 6GB, or maybe even replacing one 1GB stick for a 4GB stick.

This is the first time I have wanted to upgrade my PC in more than 2 years of having it, I just simply want to be able to rate performance with ammount paid.

Also, can I even use DDR3 with my specs?

Regards,

James

PS: The company I have bought my build from has gone bust, I would have just rang them and found out if it were possible.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did manage to find some compatable RAM, sadly not from corsair which I would have preferred for under £20 (2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 5-6-6-15) I have bought 2 in hope to keep 2 of the 1gb. Not going to post the make or anything for obvious reasons.

Not quite sure what effect running 2 800MHz and 2 667MHz sticks will do, but hey ho! Live and learn etc.

Alright cheers for all the help, Wired.

I'll update the post when they are delivered with what happens and whatever I can do to fix it, so anyone else with a simular problem can hopfully get something from it.

Archived