Corsair Community

xps 720 Twin2X4096-8500c5d corsair spec then, not now

waynek

Bit of history

2 sets of Twin2X4096-8500c5d (bought one set after running corsair configurator years ago as a backup/8 gig possiblity with vista upgrade(never upgraded)

xps 720 Q6600 680i twin 8800gt - 4g ram at a time

bought xps 720, Mobo and ram was replaced after a year. been fairly stable since at 1066 with each set of ram rma'd once. (3years)

both sets are down now, and I am upgrading to windows 7 and wish to jump to 8g ram so I have checked out the corsair configurator and find that the ram which Dell sold me with the system and corsair speced out to me as a 8G option previously are now not speced for my system, and there is no option via the configurator for 8g on this machine? I dont understand? what are my options? I have rma's for the sets I need replaced, but is there a problem with this ram in my system that dell/Corsair was not aware of before? I have also read in the forems that they are not rated for my 8g configuration,which is the exact reason I researched this ram via dell website and Corsair prior to orginal purchase of 2nd set. I actually spoke with a tech a corsair regarding my first rma and was told this was the perfect backup/8G option. I just want a solid 8g of ram that will run in my system and still be on the approved list next year. I will hold off on sending the rma untill I am better informed. thanks Ramguy/Allothers

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but these modules are no longer available and we have never supported or suggested you can or should Mix memory.

They are on warranted the way they are sold as one set. When and if you do mix two set you would likely have to run them at DDR667 on that system.

If you have a failing module you can request an RMA for the set that is failing but we only have DDR800 available in DDR2 modules.

Ok, so let me insure I have this correctly.

1. Corsair no longer makes or supports the 1066 DDR2 Dominator that came with my system and has been replaced by corsair in the past.

2. Corsair has No desire to replace like products with like products.

3. Corsair and Dell misled myself and all other xps 720 owners that with this ram installed we had a "high performance Option"-At 8g with EPP/SLI enabled. I did speak with your tech, and she did advise me to purchase this ram.

4.Corsair has no quad 2g option for my system.

I have no intention of being a jerk to you, I have learned much from this site and have seen you help many people, but it appears to me, in this instance that Corsair has no intrest in supporting past products, and has no option for me for the future. if this is true then I will have to look elsewhere for my future needs.

• Corsair Employees

Not exactly, it is not that we do not want to support you or this part. The memory IC we used to make these modules is no longer in production or available to us. So our hands are tied in what parts we can provide.

The only DDR2 memory still in production would be DDR2800 memory.

And yes that is correct we do not offer an 8 gig set for DDR2.

You are welcome to contact our customer service with your previous RMA# and see what can be done they can offer a replacement to DDR3 memory if you have another system.

In otherwords:

http://www.corsair.com/support/warranty/

Obsolete or Discontinued Products

Whenever possible, an obsolete or discontinued product will be replaced with the same product. If Corsair is unable to replace your obsolete or discontinued product with the same product, Corsair will replace that product with a new product of similar function and equal or greater value.

Contact customer service like Ram Guy suggested. They'l take care of you, no worries.

Archived