Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 problems running at 1600

McKammer

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with setting my RAM timings. I just put together a new system, with the ASUS P8H61-I motherboard, and Core i5 2500K.

Its also running CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8, but at the motherboard default settings (1333Mhz, 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v)

I tried setting the timings to XMP1 (8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v), but that fails to get past the BIOS splash screen.

Please advise.

EDIT: It seems like I made a mistake in motherboard selection, and the H61 chipset only allows up to 1333Mhz RAM, even though i can select 1600MHz in BIOS. (Is this true?)

In any case, are there recommended timings for running this RAM at 1333MHz? Tightening timings should be possible, and I know I will have to test for stability with Memtest, but having some kind of starting point/realistic expectation would be nice.

EDIT: It seems like I made a mistake in motherboard selection, and the H61 chipset only allows up to 1333Mhz RAM, even though i can select 1600MHz in BIOS. (Is this true?)

Looking at the specs for that board it does not allow for overclocking the memory. You would be correct in that the max bandwidth would be 1333mhz. You can choose that (1600mhz) in the BIOS because the XMP profile for 1600 mhz is programed into the memory modules and not a function of the board. You should be able to tighten the timings at 1333mhz but again you are correct in saying that you would have to test for stability.

Archived