Corsair Community

Corsair CSSD-F120GB3-BK problem (batch 1124)

da4444

Hi there. Just bought the ssd today. Couldn't format and install win7 when running on SATA 6 Gb/s.

Anything with 1122 or lower needs to be returned. Anything with 1123 or above is good new product. Is that correct?

Mine is a 1124 batch. It should work fine. But it is causing me problem.

But, when I check the bios I got the worst shock.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8659&stc=1&d=1308676696

attachment.php?attachmentid=8662&stc=1&d=1308676810

attachment.php?attachmentid=8661&stc=1&d=1308676708

How can the S/N in the bios differs with the S/N on the sticker of the ssd?

Worst still, the S/N in bios shows the ssd is of the problematic batch 1122.

Can someone from Corsair please clarify this matter?

Thanks.

IMG_0312.JPG.812548063e84856266c93fb1c0ee0b22.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG.209ab1a7ee1fa5e8f94d0786bb7dd0a9.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG.6ae16e06aa6367a890f35177572fd352.JPG

Sounds like corsair refurbished the problematic units by placing a new sticker on it? And so the ssd I bought is not a new but re-labelled one? That's ridiculous!

This is NOT correct. The digital serial number has NOTHING to do with this. Your drive is NEW from the factory and NOT relabled.

Please describe your issue more thoroughly so we can troubleshoot.

Thanks for the quick response.

System :

Intel i7-920 (stock speed)

ASUS Sabertooth x58

3 x 2GB ******** PC3-128000

MSI HD5870

Corsair Force 3 120GB - Running in AHCI mode

6Gbps SATA port:

Using the default Windows 7 installer, the format takes forever, I stopped waiting after a few minutes as it normally takes a few seconds.

I then used windows diskpart to format the drive without success. The format does not progress, it remains at 0 percent and fails with the error "The parameter is incorrect".

The command use is 'FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL=NAME QUICK'. Not sure if I made a mistake somewhere, but I have used these steps without problem before.

Without the quick format, the format reaches 100% after about 30minutes but ends with the same parameter error.

3Gbps SATA port:

Everything went smoothly. I then tried to connect the drive back to the 6Gbps ports and windows could not boot after that, indicating missing BOOTMGR, I have selected the correct drive as the first boot device. I have even tried selecting from the pop-up boot menu

I can confirm that the 6Gbps ports works as I have tried it with the ******** Agility 3.

I have ran out of ideas as to what could be causing this problem.

I would like to know why the digital serial number doesnt follow the printed serial number?

Thank you.

A quick update.

Using Parted Magic, I Internal Zero Erase the drive and formatted it to NTFS. Windows installation pauses at 'Setup is Updating Registry Settings' for a very long time and does not continue. This is being done using the 6Gbps port. Setup could continue on the 3Gbps port. Switching it back to the 6Gbps result in an error when trying to boot the drive. 'The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum'. Trying the second time, windows boot screen comes up but remains in the boot screen and does not continue.

Running ATTO Disk Benchmark at 6Gbps in a WinPE session shows slower speeds at 0.5KB transfer size compared to the 3Gbps port with a read write speed of 10MBps and 8Mbps respectively, the test couldnt finish with an error 'Error on read file, code 1117'

The digital serial number DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT on the drives in question. The serial number printed on the label is the ONLY serial number that relates to the status of the updated drives. The drive pictured here is an updated drive.

You have a 1122 Drive. if it says in the controller then it has to be 1122. Corsair probably got mixed up.

This is NOT correct. The digital serial number has NOTHING to do with this. Your drive is NEW from the factory and NOT relabled.

Please describe your issue more thoroughly so we can troubleshoot.

I have already stated this in this thread and in others. Please do not distort the issue.

• 1 month later...

I appear to have the same issue. Cant even get past quick format, nevermind anything else.

Firstly I would like to say that I spent a good few days going through the large number of posts regarding the 120GB variant starting back in January of this year. Unfortunately for me, I had already purchased 2 x 120GB drives from OCUK (purchased 24/07/11) as part of a workstation I have to build for a job. That notion though has now been made redundant, at least as far as the Force3 drives are concerned, as I can't be dealing with issues when the system is getting exported to Africa :laughing:

I took these home today to try and check them out and see if I am one of the lucky or one of the unlucky peeps. For information both drives show a 1124 SN on the label.

Firstly I bough pretty expensive (£6per cable :bigeyes:) AKSA sata 6gb's 50cm cables in lou of what has been said on these forums and to try and minimize the possible culprits. Secondly a few people have mentioned that on the Marvell controller they have been succesful thus far, and partly because the Intel controller is currently hosting my RAID0 OS.

In summary, first drive went in, brand new cables on the Marvell controller. Booted to Windows on my RAID0, see new hardware installed and went straight into Comp. Management interface to check out whats what. By the time I got there, the drive was gone! Rebooted and back tot he same location, this time its there but of course no partition and no formatting has yet taken place. I partitioned using MBR (intending to run a second OS install in parallel), that went ok. Then tried to Quick format in the console and the PC froze, no disk or CPU activity for 30 minutes. Rebooted and tried again, this time got BSOD :confused: within a minute of starting to format. Tried once more and the result was the same, albeit this time it looked like it was trying to format until the drive dissapeared from the disc management console.

The question is, should I now try the second drive and see if the result will be different, or give up and wait for a fix.

Hum

well, now my disc started aswell, i get bluescreens, but it seems like it might have something to do with firefox? this might be something you guys should research over at corsair btw. (and FYI i have been running my computer for 24/7 since i got the ssd, it took it 3 weeks to start the first problems, the disc dropout think, but a sata cable change handled that. Now im starting to get some random bluescreens.

FWIW my Hard Disk Sentinel says my Hard Disk Serial Number is 112065000000014342

but the box I received as a warranty replacement had the serial number starting as 1124

The digital serial number DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT on the drives in question. The serial number printed on the label is the ONLY serial number that relates to the status of the updated drives. The drive pictured here is an updated drive.

:confused: Did you read this thread :confused:

YellowBeard why don't you update http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95688 to avoid the confusion again. back to topic if SATA 3GB is working smoothly then use it on the 3GBS port while ASUS or Corsair find an solution

The post you link to says within it already:

"ONLY the printed label on the drive applies to this issue. The digital serial number has NOTHING to do with this issue and the digital serial number is not intended to match the serial number on the label."

Archived