Corsair Community

LP Vengeance?

IGR

Hi all.

A quick and hopefully easy to answer question if I may. I'm looking to fit a better than stock cpu cooler and can see there will be some prob's finding one to fit without fouling my ram. I have a MSI-P67A-GD53 (B3) with 2x2GB Vengeance sticks fitted. the cooler I'm looking at is a Coolermaster v8, I think it should fit even with the high profile memory.

Question is.

Is Vengeance LP memory compatible with the HP Vengeance memory already fitted. See what I mean is move the HP to the back slots and LP to the front. That would have me with slot 1 LP slot 2 LP slot 3 HP slot 4 HP. This board uses slots 1 / 3 for duel channel. So in effect would have 1 LP and 1 HP per channel.

What do you think?

Thanks Ian..

What confuses me is that I've read on this forum that if you want a quad channel going on, you've got to buy the 4x matched set. And at the same time, I read in a PDF file here that if you already have 2x sticks and you want to get 2 more, to buy the exact same chips and 'hope' that it'll work properly. As for your question in particular, I'm going to guess that they'll tell you to just buy the 4x matched kit. The Corsair tech on the phone also said that you've got to have the 4x kit, so I'm thinking that's probably the better option for quad-channel compatibility. It'll probably still function with two mixed sets, but may not be a 'true' quad channel ram thing.

I'm still waiting anxiously for the 4x set (16gb) of the LP ram to arrive. NewEgg already lists the 2x kit, and if I could do it, I'd just buy two sets of that and use it as a quad channel, but there are conflicting opinions on doing that as I mentioned above apparently.

I almost want to buy two sets of the 2x LP kits like right now since I can't use my PC until the 4x kit is released and take the risk of quad channel compatibility. Been checking every day and it isn't out yet.

Correct, it's never recommended to mix memory.

Also, when you have 4 sticks you are NOT running them in quad channel. It's still a dual channel configuration.

There is no such thing as * Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual or triple channel.

Correct, it's never recommended to mix memory.

Also, when you have 4 sticks you are NOT running them in quad channel. It's still a dual channel configuration.

There is no such thing as * Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual or triple channel.

I'm still not sure I quite understand why mixing two sets of the exact same ram (bought at the same time) is not recommended and that you should opt for a 4x kit instead, especially when the mobo is running in dual channel even with 4 sticks. Maybe it's more like they recommend purchasing the 4x kit because they'll be able to replace all 4 in an RMA, rather than only being able to replace one set since the others might still work for you? And the replacement set of ram (2x) that you receive may not be compatible with your other 2x set since it may be manufactured at a different time?

Man, I just want the 4x LP kit to appear and be done with it. Been checking 15 times a day on NewEgg.

Hi, well problem solve kinda, the Coolermaster V8 fitted over the Corsair Vengeance memory with about 15mm to spare. So any body looking for a good cooler on a similar P67 board should check it out. Also after a quick 20+ min prime95 test it's running some 25c cooler and on the low setting. I'm chuffed.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/05IAN/9.jpg

I'm still not sure I quite understand why mixing two sets of the exact same ram (bought at the same time) is not recommended.
Each kit can be made with various parts at any given time. There's 9 IC manufacturers, each with multiple ICs, and even ICs from the same batch may not play well with each other. Then there's multiple PCBs that can be used.

Add that all together and that means that 2 kits that came out of the factory one right after another may not play well with each other.

Also, buying them at the same time means nothing, as you could be buying memory made at different times (not that it would make a difference).

Archived