Corsair Community

Is it safe to run a PSU to 85% capacity?

sblantipodi

It really shouldn't hurt anything. A power supply is capable of running a full tilt all the time as long as heat doesn't become an issue. Even then thermal sensors should alert you or shut it down long before any damage could be done. Same goes for other components such as motherboards and GPU's

Well our PSU can run at their rated load 100% at 45 Deg C, so yes its no problem.

If I can ran my PSU at 100% load why do you suggest a 850W PSU for a GTX580 SLI if my GTX580 SLI with I7 2600@4,2GHz with 1Black 2TB and 1 SSD don't go over 580W?

If I can ran my PSU at 100% load why do you suggest a 850W PSU for a GTX580 SLI if my GTX580 SLI with I7 2600@4,2GHz with 1Black 2TB and 1 SSD don't go over 580W?

Would you want to install something thats 100% maxed, or would you rather give yourself a little play room for the future?

Would you want to install something thats 100% maxed, or would you rather give yourself a little play room for the future?

From 580W to 750W there is a big playroom don't you think?

In any case no, when I do upgrades usually I change also the keyboard :)

• Corsair Employees

The OP question was

As title,

may I load my PSU to 85% of its capacity for some hours a day?

Do you think that this will damage my PSU or other components?

And my answer was

Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post

Well our PSU can run at their rated load 100% at 45 Deg C, so yes its no problem.

Now changing the context of what I said or stated here by changing the meaning to another question would have no other meaning Other than trying to twist my word around and And yes I normally suggest about 20-30% Head room for the max power that you would use, but that was not your original question, so please DO NOT TRY to twist my words around that will get you banned from the forum quicker than almost anything.

You will not be allowed to post on the forum until your posts are reviewed by one of our Moderators or my self!

Calm down Ram Guy and be quite.

My question is perfectly correct, sincerely I really don't care to twist your words.

I made a reasoning and I'm trying to understand why if a PSU can be loaded to 85%, and my system is well under the 85% of my PSU capacity, people and corsair psu calculator suggest a 850W or greater PSU for a SLI configuration.

I'm not changing the context, I'm reasoning on what you answered and from your answer, if 2+2=4, if I can load a PSU at 100% capacity, I can load it at 80% without problem, if I can load it to 80% without problem my PSU is great for a GTX580 SLI.

2+2=4, there is no context switch ;)

Sounds like what Ram Guy's saying is that the recommendation tool has 20% or so headroom built into the tool. I'd assume the 20% headroom is there for expansion later on and extra demands from overclocking.

Sounds like what Ram Guy's saying is that the recommendation tool has 20% or so headroom built into the tool. I'd assume the 20% headroom is there for expansion later on and extra demands from overclocking.

I'm really offended from RamGuy, what an incredible behaviour.

The most disconcerting things is that RamGuy is a corsair rep on a corsair forum.

Sincerely if this is the great customer support from corsair I will buy something else next time.

I'm a corsair fan since than 10 years, never experienced something like this, really bad.

all tho it has been said it will run perfectly fine at 100 % 45 degrees.

less loaded your psu the better, I have seen psu's blow up at 60% and i've had psu's blow up at 95% / 100% and in the higher % it ended up killing some components

I find the less loaded the psu the better power your components get and better power the longer they last but thats my experience.

Currently running 3X 6970's, i7 920, 6 hard disks and couple massive fans with Corsair h50 cooler..

I tried few different power supplies but i ended up having to swap out my 1000watt corsair for something alittle more powerful corsair1200Watt and 2nd psu in the machine is now Corsair 750 watt :)

Additionally, PSUs run at optimal effecincy at around 65% (I think). So if you are using 500W, it may save money by getting a 850 PSU. In any case I think there is a graph on the back of the box. I don't have mine avaible at the moment, but I'm sure you have a box.

Additionally, PSUs run at optimal effecincy at around 65% (I think). So if you are using 500W, it may save money by getting a 850 PSU. In any case I think there is a graph on the back of the box. I don't have mine avaible at the moment, but I'm sure you have a box.

The highest efficiency point varies from model to model I believe. In his case I think he posted in another thread that he has the AX850W:

http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/modular-psus/professional-series-gold-2/ax850.html

http://www.corsair.com/media//ax850-efficiency.png

In that case, it's most efficient at 50% load. At 100% load it's at its lowest efficiency point, 87%.

The highest efficiency point varies from model to model I believe. In his case I think he posted in another thread that he has the AX850W:

http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/modular-psus/professional-series-gold-2/ax850.html

http://www.corsair.com/media//ax850-efficiency.png

In that case, it's most efficient at 50% load. At 100% load it's at its lowest efficiency point, 87%.

IMHO another things to consider is the efficiency under the 20% of load when the PC is in idle or under light load.

A PC like mine when surfing the web use 140W. this means that a 850W PSU will be not really efficient at that load for most of the time.

Personally I prefer an efficient PSU when in idle or light load than when in full load.

in any case the suggestion from corsair and any other psu maker is to buy a 850W for a GTX580 SLI, so don't read what I'm saying.

• Corsair Employees

sblantipodi

I have set your account back to normal and I do apologize for the misunderstanding, If you still have questions please let us know. But I think with the help of others they we have answered you questions please let us know if not!

IMHO another things to consider is the efficiency under the 20% of load when the PC is in idle or under light load.

A PC like mine when surfing the web use 140W. this means that a 850W PSU will be not really efficient at that load for most of the time.

Personally I prefer an efficient PSU when in idle or light load than when in full load.

Yes but keep in mind our Hybrid Silent Fan control on the AX 750/850 PSUs. At the loads you list here, they are silent because of their efficiency. The fans don't even kick in until 20% or more power consumption.

in any case the suggestion from corsair and any other psu maker is to buy a 850W for a GTX580 SLI, so don't read what I'm saying.

Did you read the article I linked above?

If you look at the TDP ratings for the various 580 models, add in the rest of the system, factor in OCing and efficiency, and leaving overhead for future expansion, an 850w PSU is not a bad recommendation. Nowhere do we say that a good 650w or 750w unit won't do the job but, we also try to give users multiple choices that cover ALL ends of the spectrum.

Just because you can, it does not necessarily mean you should. Would you drive your car around at Redline RPMs 24/7? No. Can good cars do this? Yes, but not as long as they will run in their proper RPM range.

Archived