Corsair Community

Removing heat spreaders from Dominator Modules for water cooling

Ricci

I'd appreciate some advice. I'm in the process of watercoolling 4 GB x 3 Dominator modules and realize that the cooling blocks (Koolance) that I purchased will not work unless I can remove the heat spreaders from the modules. Removing the cooling fins is not sufficient for the application.

I know that if I remove the heat spreaders, I void the warranty. But, I'm stuck. I either eat the modules or eat the purchased cooling blocks. I can't RMA either. I've read elsewhere that the heat spreaders can be removed by soaking the modules in a bath of isopropyl alcohol. Any opinion about this? Is there any other option available in removing the heat spreaders?

Thanks,

Ricci

they are glued on in a way if you try to remove them you will rip the IC chips right off.

there are no options, you can buy value ram instead, there are no spreaders on them.

that ram is meant to be watercooled from a block that screws on from the top like the fins.

you bought the wrong cooling setup. you need one of these..

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/large/ex-blc-868.jpg

No real other option that can be advised here. If you choose to try to pull them off , your pretty much on your own. Personally, i wouldn't do it. But it's your money and your RAM

I've not read one post support the option of soaking them in alcohol. I'm going to leave them be.

Thanks,

Ricci

I really think you made the right choice! Soaking any component for any length of time does not sound like a good idea at all. Now, wiping components off with a little on a soft cloth or q-tip is one thing, SOAKING is another. Your best bet would be to buy a water block like the one Synthohol suggested. They bolt right on to the Dominators and wont void the warrenty either!

I really think you made the right choice! Soaking any component for any length of time does not sound like a good idea at all. Now, wiping components off with a little on a soft cloth or q-tip is one thing, SOAKING is another. Your best bet would be to buy a water block like the one Synthohol suggested. They bolt right on to the Dominators and wont void the warrenty either!

Synthohol's suggestion was a good one. That web site is excellent. I've purchased other stuff from them. And, yes, this is my first watercool. I intend on doing it right rather than fumbling along. The article you mentioned is very good. Lots to learn. I've yet to read a good article on the mathematics and thermodynamics related to computer water cooling. That would be very helpful. Thanks again....Ricci

Archived