Corsair Community

Can't figure this out with the Asus Striker II Extreme!

J1mmy

I have been on this for months now, trying to figure out the correct BIOS settings for the memory and my MB to play nicely. Those of you who know this MB, know that it freezes if it doesn't have the right settings in.

My specs including the part number for my XMS3 is in my profile.

Hopefully someone with this board and RAM and point me to the right settings.

Mixing memory is not supported or suggested . Meaning two kits of the EXACT same part number AND version number have less than about 50% chance of working at rated speeds together. RAM is sold and packaged to be used as one kit per MB. You would have been better off to buy one single 8gig kit so that the modules would have all been tested to be compatible with each other. whether it would have been a 2x4gig kit or a 4x2gig kit. The modules can contain chips from no less then 8 different IC manufacturers and this is where the incompatibility comes into play.

What you can do is to go into your BIOS and load setup defaults , disable USB legacy support and load XMP and test the modules one kit at a time for at least 4 passes or untill you hit errors to see if the kits will work fine separated. Also try mot to mix up the different kits so they can be identified later on. If the kits test fine separate from each other that may be your problem. If you get errors on one kit then test them one stick at a time to narrow down the culprit. Also make sure to check your voltages to make sure they are where they are supposed to be as per the sticker on the modules before testing.

Post back with the result plz! :)

The thing is that is used to work fine. It wasn't until I reset the BIOS where all the settings were wiped out, so I know that the its just a question of finding the settings again, and isn't really to do with the different RAM.

And from what I've been told, I can test one kit at a time, but when I put in the other kit to make the full 8GB, I will have to start from the beginning as different voltages are used for 4GB and 8GB.

And from what I've been told, I can test one kit at a time, but when I put in the other kit to make the full 8GB,

Yes, more than likely. But it's neccessary to test them to find out if the RAM is the reason you are having problems.You should also test them one STICK at a time as well if you find out that one kit throws error.

As far as settings go, each board and memory are totally different too. What works on one persons set up may not work for yours.I would start out with the timings and voltages on the label and then start bumping the voltage up by .02v increments untill you can get it stable.

Last month I did all the RAM tests available with no errors, the funny thing is it never freezes when under RAM/CPU stress either, teh freezes are often random.

The timings are set as advised by the module. 9-9-9-9-24-2T

I have been experimenting with the memory voltage, but I think I also have mess around with the NB voltage too. (And maybe something else?)

OK, I've started at 1.7, I've had to bump it up due to crashes.

What is the Nforce Volt.

Is there are other settings which are implicated in the crashes such as the CPU, SB/NB voltages?

• Corsair Employees
You will want to increase the memory Controller voltage usually called Nforce SPP or NF SPP or might be called NB SPP voltage with Nvidia Chipsets. And will normally be listed bellow the memory and CPU Voltages.

• Corsair Employees

According to the Specs for that MB it will support 8 Gig max which means since it has four slots they have to be 2.0 Gig modules.

4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/800 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Dual channel memory architecture - supports NVIDIA® SLI™-ready technology

*Overclock speed

**Refer to http://www.asus.com or this user manual for the Memory QVL(Qualified Vendors Lidts).

***When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

I have removed one kit of 4gb, and it looks like that recommended config which is on the setup doesn't work either. I suppose I will have to increase the voltage by .2 for this as well.

Do I need to default the BOIS everytime?

Archived