Corsair Community

4 sticks of CMP4GX3M2A1600C9 on xfx 790i ultra sli

Lord Zoltan

Hi everyone,

At present I'm not trying to overclock (tried that and got raid corruption and had to rebuild!).

I am getting bsods and memtest errors with 8gb of this RAM, but not with 4 or even 6! Am running at a conservative 1333mhz, 9-9-9-24 2T and have tried RAM at 1.6v and MCP at 1.55v.

I understand its likely to be due to the load being put on the memory controller cuz of the 4 sticks. Don't really want to waste one or both of this excellent ram tho, so figure there might be some voltage and timing voodoo I could do in the BIOS!?

Would like to oc too once I have things stable. The q9650 is supposed to oc well and might mean I squeeze some more life out of it :D:

Primarily, tho, any suggestions for getting this RAM working? Am on UK time, about to go to sleep and might not be able to tweak and respond rapidly due to having a family, but I will be checking back first thing in the morning here.

Thanks in advance.

Okay yes, I will be more accurate :):

That part number is a 4gb kit comprising two sticks (and those, I realise now, have a part number of their own!), and I have two of those kits to make 4 identical sticks (or as near as the factory manages).

I can run two of them or, it would appear, three (not recommended I know but 6gb is better than 4gb ; is there a secret to running all 4! I haven't done a huge amount of tweaking so far as I don't want to fry anything

• Corsair Employees

No but with 4 modules installed you will likely have to increase the memory controller Voltage and the memory Voltage and set the memory frequency to DDR1333 or DDR1066 depending on the CPU FSB.

I would try setting the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.9 Volts and set the Nforce200 Voltage to +.2 Volts over default.

Grrr, I was wrong. Despite passing memtests, it still wasn't stable all the time in Windows. I'd get a night of error-free gaming out of it, only to find next morning that it would blue screen or give random crashes in explorer/iexplore or, worse still RAID consistency errors!

I cranked the voltages on the RAM up to near 1.8, and my chipset voltages to the edge of the green zone, 1.6v on the MCP, for example; no joy.

On the verge of buying a brand new 1155 board and Sandybridge proc, I then just thought: 6gb of RAM ain't that bad. So I took the one stick out, all fine again. Cranked the CPU up to 3.6ghz with 1600fsb and mem;:all fine once I'd upped the CPU, mem and MCP to 1.39, 1.7, and 1.5v respectively.

I might still upgrade to a new board and proc, having just upgraded everything else; but the Q9650 still performs admirably, and even toms hardware has it high up their charts, so I can't justify it yet! Perhaps if the Christmas bonus is big enough!....

...who am I kidding - if you buy 8Gb of RAM then you want to use the whole lot; and in the last 2 months I've already replaced my gfx cards, optical drives and added 2 SSDs...

...so I have a new ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (confirmed compatibility of the above 4 sticks via their QVL) and i7-2600K on their way.

Only wish now I'd bought a 2-stick 8Gb kit now!

this might not be over yet - the CMP4GX3M2A1600C9 kit is NOT on the QVL list at all; it shows on the configurator as compatible, so I'll no doubt be able to use 2 sticks; but the jury is out on 4 till I get everything up and running.

Getting a bit frustrated with this!

Archived