Corsair Community

Replacing H70 Fans

TomGu

With a Corsair H70 water cooler on our i7 950 oc'd to 4GHz and an ambient room temp of 30C (yes, it is very warm in here), temps at idle (less than 1% cpu load) have been 46, 41, 46, 41. This is after cleaning the OEM thermal paste off the cpu / cooler and re-mounting the cooler on the cpu with Arctic Silver 5. Have now replaced the H70 OEM fans with two Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm fans and am now getting idle temps of 47, 42, 48, 42. I am wondering if the water pump of the H70 is even working. Is there any way to determine if the H70 water pump, which is which is connected to a fan header that is at full power, not modulated, and turning at 1400 rpm per the Asus AI utility, is actually pumping fluid through the system? Thanks for any help.

What direction are the fans pointing? Are you pulling cooler air into the case, or pushing hotter air out of the case? I have an H70, and I replaced the fans with some Noctua's. My i7-960 is OC'd to 4.2GHz, and at idle I'm at 45*C.

I know I never dared to push air out, because my HD5870's COOK when they're loaded. I'm talking 80*C if the fans are left on AUTO (which is 25-33%).

Archived