Corsair Community

RMA for my HX620 ?

JonhQ

Hi,

I have a PSU HX620, bought in december 2008 (5 years warranty).

It has always been a bit noisy with some games, whining when framerate is too high.

But the noise is becoming stronger with time.

For example, now, I can even hear noise at boot time, when Windows is loading (I presume there is no power saving at boot time).

A friend of mine told me about this topic : http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166

So I made some tests :

- I disabled the power saving features : if it is a bit better (subjective ?), I can still hear the PSU,

- I replaced my ATI HD6970 by a friend's NVidia GTX 480, still whining,

- I replaced my HX620 by a Cooler Master RealPower M620 : SUCCESS ! No more noise at boot time and in games, and with power saving features on or off.

I have to say that I have no power problem, my computer runs stable in all conditions. The problem is that my PSU is more and more noisy.

Even if some bios manipulation can reduce the noise with HX620 and I have not tried another motherboard/CPU, the fact that another PSU works silently with the same configuration allows me to think that the PSU has a problem.

So my question is : do I have to RMA my PSU ?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards.

I would suggest we repalce it, you have till December of 2012 if you purchased it in December of 2008.

Please use the link on the left and request an RMA!

I disagree, it is December of 2013, not of 2012 (2008 + 5 = 2013) :biggrin:

Waiting for a RMA now...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived