Corsair Community

Help PSU Died :(

Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU

Model#: CMPSU-620HXUK

Purchase/Order Date: 01 JUNE 2007

Retailer: Ebuyer

Warranty Stated at Purchase: 5 years

Problem...

Switched power on to PC and a small muffled "pop" was heard, at which point the power LED on the PC that had illuminated initially promptly went out - PC dead, no life :(:

Checked the fuses and it had blown both the supply cable fuse and the 10amp fuse in the multi socket :eek:

Mains supply is via an APC Smart UPS.

Removed the PSU from the PC, tested with Xilence PSU tester, PSU failed to power up at all (did not blow the new fuse in the supply cable) on moving it after disconnecting the power a rattling sound was heard, careful manipulation allowed the items to fall through the fan slot - 3 or 4 small thin plastic/ferite parts, one looked like a sleeve or collar 4-5 millimetres in diameter.

Definitely not a happy PSU :( lucklily it doesn't seem to have damaged anything else.

So, help!... obviously it's outside the usual 12 months where i would return it to the retailer, yet it is still in warranty, how do i go about requesting a warranty claim/RMA ?

I live in the UK btw, if required i can supply phone numbers via pm to contact me, or i can use a pre-paid account to call yourselves.

Thanks for any help offered

ok all done, got a reference number and it said to wait for someone to get in touch :)

little point of note, the page where you enter all your details etc, after having selected product and model code, has this written at the top...

Please provide the following information, then on the next screen a shipping label will be generated that you can use to return your parts.

Next screen for me after verifying my address was a simple page stating request submitted, the reference number i had been issued, and the notice that someone will be in touch, no shipping label was present (to be honest, i wouldn't have expected one had that note not been on the detail entry page)

Anyway, appreciate the help, will wait for someone to get in touch

Thank you

• Corsair Employees

Please check you email when you get the RMA conformation it will gave you a link to a label you can print but it does not pay for shipping only the addresses.

What was the case number and I can check it get approved for youz/

errrrr, not sure of the case number right now (i'm at work) will post it later when i get home, I did receive an email fairly fast (within 10 minutes) saying the RMA had been approved, and to await a further communication (which is likely to be next week now because of the weekend)

ok, case number is #2100557, got an RMA email now with details on how to return (RMA #1235796)

But the address is the netherlands, and i just don't know if that is worth returning bearing in mind the cost vs weight, so i need to consider this and make a decision, but for sure no uk return address, WILL sway any future purchases, because for items that weigh any amount it can make the warranty useless, not to mention the time scale involved

ok, it's on it's way back to you, but i must have lost my freaking marbles... :thinking:

Cost of shipping from the UK to The Netherlands (cheapest option) £30.90, for those of you working in US Dollars $49.97 or in Euros if you prefer, it is €35.14

..... :owned: :rant2:

You really need a drop/shipping centre in the countries you sell in, or sales partners that can deal with basic returns checks for you, because that sort of shipping cost is ridiculous, plus because i had to take the cheapest shipping option, it'll probably be 4-5 days before it even arrives at the depot/building, so i guess i'm looking at a good few weeks turn around time at least, and whilst a week or maybe 2 down time might be manageable, longer is not, cue a fresh purchase now, so warranty length is something i will never be considering again when buying a PSU, what i will be looking at is returns policies and destinations.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but your reseller should be your first point of contact, most resellers in Europe will take care of you for the first year as far as I know.

But for more information you will want to contact our customer service directly, you can get the number on the CONTACT Page on our main web site, and use SPYPE to call them for free.

yup, your correct, i think it's under uk retail rules that the selller should help within the first 12 months, however that may simply extend to a "middle man" returns service which can take forever, but, this is way outside that 12 month period and the immediate response from the seller would be that i would need to deal with the manufacturer directly for anything outside that initial 12 month period (which i was expecting - just not a netherlands address !)

Anyway, it's on it's way back now

No, i know there's little you can do, just me venting a little :P

I think customer services are probably aware of the problem, and i'm sure someone has read this by now as i linked this thread in the description of the problem ;) - so if they weren't aware, they are now :D

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry as I have told you there is little I can do except direct you to customer service. And they do not monitor the forum, only way is by phone or email.

I have sent them a message is about all I can do but as I stated they will not fully understand the issue if you do not explain it to them.

hahaha, thank you :)

I will try and formulate some sort of sensible (non-ranting) correspondence, that i can send with my reply to the next communication i receive, my dead PSU should be getting there in a couple of days, i assume i'll hear from someone probably middle of next week

• Corsair Employees
Well even if you do that will likely be an automated response and not an individual. I would strongly suggest you pick up the phone and call them they will take care of you. If you cannot afford to make the phone call; then install SKYPE and call the toll free number it will not cost you a dime.

ok ,now i'm baffled !!

Got an email saying Corsair Technical Support has sent you a message regarding Case #2100557 and to follow the link to read/reply....

Dear Wayne,

We have received your inquiry through our tech support. Is there anything that we can help you with?

Thank you!

Regards,

RMA Support

:thinking::thinking:

wtf ! i've received the RMA info and the PSU is on it's way back, what is that message all about ? as it doesn't even give me any idea why they were trying to contact me :confused:

Also, why does my case ID not work on the support page for checking the status ?? it just says Case ID and/or Password are Incorrect..... well i was never give a password and the case id was copy and pasted from the email/link given to read the message sent.

i've about had enough of this, the pc is back up and running with a replacement PSU i had to purchase, and i still have yet to have an intelligible human response/contact regarding this except yours here RamGuy (thank you)

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but as I have told you a few times you may need to call them by phone to get this straightened out.

I have spoken to the our customer service on the phone and it seems to be exactly what I was thinking it was when you send a message you are not explaining what you want from them. They do not read or answer the forum and you have not given them enough information to help you.

Do NOT DO anything they will contact you shortly to work this out!

What ????

I followed the Tech Support Express guide.

selected "it failed the paper clip test" and I think i also said it's not powering up, it should be fairly simple what's required !! - obviously they willl have some visual checks required to ensure i have not opened it, then there will be a test or 2 i would expect, followed possibly by a visual inspection to confirm component failure and not physical abuse such as dropping etc.

As for calling them, by all means, i can do that, but if your going to have an automated "Tech Support Express" for gods sake ensure the obvious is understood, if someone returns to you a dead PSU, don't ask them "Is there anything that we can help you with?" because you sure as hell are going to get a sarcastic answer.

Now, as for calling them.... who do i call, your numbers are all stateside based, yet the unit was returned to the netherlands .... so how do i know who to contact to sort this mess out ?

(edit- saw your comment above about not calling, so will wait)

EDIT/UPDATE

Got another email, so i went to see what was said on the support page (RMA CASE ID still doesn't work so can only view messages from email link)

Hello Wayne,

Please accept my apologies for the confusion between our product forums and the previous message you received from our customer service department. We have taken your feedback into consideration and would like to offer some options for you. In regards to the returns location, we have plans to expand our service locations in the future to accommodate individuals in your situation, but it won't be for some time.

In the meantime should you have any problems with your power supply in the future, we can arrange for a postage paid shipping label. I will upgrade your shipping to expedite the delivery of your unit and arrange for a 4GB USB drive to compensate for your experience.

Your satisfaction is important to us.

Thank you for choosing Corsair!

Best Regards,

Jamie

Customer Service Supervisor

• ok, so the previous message someone got confused - fair enough
  • Cool, i now have a name to deal with if need be - so much better
  • Returns/service locations - ok, so they are aware of the issue, service locations may be the way to go, but simple drop centres or forwarding centres would help considerably those in my situation.
  • Full paid return shipping if future issues arise is nice, but, hardly fair for those that live in the same country as your shipping, hence the suggestion of drop centres or possibly partial subsidised shipping.
  • Thank you for the pendrive offer, whilst i wont turn it down, it wasn't really necessary though :p:
  • expedited/upgraded shipping is always good, because there is the feeling or sense that goes with it that they will take better care of it (or it's the knowledge that it will be in their system for less time thus less chance of damage occurring !)

I will post that reply to their message on the support link as well, but it does look from that message that a unit will be on it's way to me fairly quickly :)

Cheers

PS. Forgot again, to say thank you... i saw above you had spoken to customer service dept, thank you, really appreciated :)

• Corsair Employees

The only end user support is here in the USA as I have mentioned previously you can install skype and call the toll free number it will not cost you anything.

It seems to be resolved so I would give it some time and if you still have questions or concern please just call them and I am sure it will get resolved.

Customer Support in the USA - cool, noted, thanks :)

(calling the states is no problem for me :) )

Anyway, new email letting me know my return package had arrived :)

Tech Support Express Case [2100557] - Part(s) Received

We wanted to let you know that we have received your return package for RMA number 1235796 Your returned product is staged for review by our returns department, and we will be contacting you shortly regarding repair or replacement. Please note we are currently experiencing delays with warranty replacement shipments, please allow for an additional 5 business days for processing.

Sincerely,

so £31 shipping gets me 7 day delivery time ... :roll: :(: typical royal mail parcel farce

• Corsair Employees
I am sure they will do their best to get this processed in a timely manor, but if you still have questions or concerns please contact our customer service they will take care of you.

They certainly did .... replacement arrived this morning, along with the pen drive as promised :)

Thats not a bad turn around time considering it took 7 days to get my unit out to them.

Anyway, all looks good - thanks for the help RamGuy :)

Archived