Corsair Community

Can't see Corsair Force 115 installed in XP (latest service pack)

rgarber

I have one computer still using XP and its used for graphics development. I purchased the SSD for use only as a data drive. The computer sees it (device manager I mean) but it's not available to choose the drive to load data onto it. I read somewhere I need to activate AHCI in the bios and when I do I get a BSOD that goes by so quickly and the computer reboots, I have no idea what the problem is. Being that I'm involved with an extensive building project I also can't do a reinstall of Windows XP at this time, just can't take the risk of something getting lost at this time. I purchased the drive more so as an 'experiment' to see what benefit I would get with an SSD on this computer and am thinking probably the best thing to do is just send back the drive for refund. I have installed an SSD into a Win 7 computer and that went pretty smoothe. Using the support section here at Cosair the only option for support is to send the drive back as an RMA; I don't understand how that will help.

If this can be done, to install an SSD into an existing Win XP as a data drive only, could someone explain or point me to the process. What I've found mostly is folk trying to install the SSD as a boot drive. Just a super fast data drive is all I'm looking for, thanks!

Rich

• Corsair Employees

If the computer sees the SSD try looking in disk manager.

- Go to Control Panel

- Go to Administrative tools

- Go to Computer Management

- Under storage to the left menu bar click on disk management

- You should be able to find the SSD listed below as Disk 0 or Disk 1 etc..

- Locate which one it is and right click to make the partition active and assign a drive letter to it.

You cannot change configuration modes in bios unless you do a clean install on your OS. Their is a work around this issue on the internet that you can try so you can change the configuration mode in your bios without having to re-install your OS. =)

Archived