Corsair Community

2 kits of CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

lolagelolage

Hi guys

Basically I bought some XMS3 ram from scan.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-%282x4gb%29-corsair-ddr3-xms3-pc3-12800-%281600%29-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-27-165v

Its come today, saying 1.65V as advertised. However since purchasing it people have told me 1.65V is a little high if I want to overclock my sandbridge i7 2600k?! If it is, can I lower the voltages without making my system unstable?

Also 1 set is ver2.12 while the other set is ver5.11 - what does this mean? :S Rang scans customer service line and the bloke just goes "oh they are the same" I asked him what the numbers meant and he said he doesnt know...

Please help, not sure if to unbox the packaging - would ideally like to finish building my pc!

Cheers!

mixing 2 kits even the same part# is not suggested or supported ESPECIALLY different versions. it has less than a 50% chance of working correctly.

ram needs to be purchased in 1 single kit of the capacity you desire.

look into the Vengeance kits for best results, they run at 1.5v

CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B CML16GX3M4A1600C9B CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 are your best bets, they are 4 stick kits designed and tested top be run as a 4 up set.

Scan's CS rep is completely uninformed.

I feel like crying! :D This will be the 2nd set of ram I will have to send back. First set was too expensive so got this cheaper ram now im gonna have to send this back too! :(

I'm not too impressed with scan. Rang them up a 2nd time and the 2nd guy was like the 1.65V will be fine with sandybridge, and the version numbers doesnt matter. :mad:

With that you linked I've been told that the heatsinks on them can get in the way of the CPU cooler? Is this correct?

Thanks

Just to update you, I thank you so much for posting this! Was litterally going to tear open the boxes but thought id check this thread just incase! Just rang scan again and actually spoke to somone who knew what they were talking about!

He too recomended that I should get a 16gb kit and recomended the two I linked above. I will be sending them back in the post today and yet again waiting for more ram tommorow!

The only difference is the color of the heat spreaders. Either one of those kits would be just fine though and up to you as far as color preference.

BTW, your not the only person that has reported problems with SCAN's CS. From what i have seen and read about them i would find another etailer.

Yeah thanks

I spoke to somone else and he was alot more helpful. Rang the returns department and a guy called Mark was very helpful, he seemed to know alot more than the so called "techy" guys. He asked if I needed help finding some more ram and he said the same ram as above.

I like using Scan as I have so far always had a good experience with DPD. They always come next day (free too cause I'm signed up to avforums), before 12pm for me as I live close to the depot.

if you think the heatspreaders will bee too tall for your cooler you can either get a different cooler or get the Vengeance low profile ram, same good stuff, shorter heatspreader.

I cant do anymore waiting! :D

I've gone with the original version but I'm going to take my CPU cooler back and get one of the all in 1 watercooling systems. Maybe a Corsair H60/H70.

Archived