Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz (cl8) causing BSoD on Asus P8Z68-V Pro?

BeefSkull

Hi i recently bought this new system. Its been running smooth as butter for about 2 weeks now, but suddenly yesterday i got a 0x0124 BSoD, and afaik that is a memory error. So i decided to run a memtest, and in fact it does report a ton of errors (running the ram at 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5 volt), first error appears within the 1st minute already!

So i tried reducing the ram to 1333mhz (same timing and volts) - and now it seems to pass (at least 30%) of memtest error-free

So my question is, is my RAM faulty, or is it just my (semi-new) p8z68 BIOS that is still not mature enough and has errors?

I would be very sad if i had to RMA these ram, because i just upgraded to this computer DUE to faulty ram on my old setup, so if i have to RMA these RAM i probably have no computer for like a month

I just did that, even though the ram got significantly further into the memtest before starting to report errors, there was still errors, - the errors start when the test reaches the "random number" sequences, and then it just starts to spam out a ton of errors pretty much all the time - i got these 38 errors in less than a minute after the 1st one appeared

proof : http://imageshack.us/f/803/20110617080003.jpg/

Try this:

Remove 1 module, remove all power from the board,

Clear CMOS, reboot with single module, set XMP, disable Legacy USB Support, reboot.

Run Memtest for 3-5 passes on single module.

If it passes, power off, exchange modules, run Memtest 3-5 passes.

^ i will do this when i get home, - however, i already tried running 1 module at a time, in different slots too . weird thing is, in slot A2 and B2 memtest says i am running the ram at 6-6-6-20, even though i forced it to 8-8-8-24 OR used XMP in BIOS.

Still reports errors though.

Will try resetting CMOS when i get home from work, and then give it another go.

i have the newest bios already - 0501

i just reset the CMOS and finished 4 passes with 1 block in, "only" gave 4 errors. The other block gave rougly the same. Tried in both slot A2 and B2

so should i wait for a new BIOS update or RMA them? Or maybe its a problem with the Memory Controller? The more tests i run the more confused i get about what is actually wrong -_-

UPDATE : tried this, - put both ram blocks back in, reset cmos, loaded xmp profile, ran memtest - and again they spass totally out. this time 71 errors in 15 minutes. and again they really dislike the random number sequence (test 7)

DOUBLE EDIT : So, any thoughts on if i should RMA these RAM now, or wait to see if its an error on the BIOS, and should i RMA them to you guys (i live in Denmark) or RMA them at the place i bought them.

Also, do you have an RMA protocol like ASUS? (where i buy new ram from you, then send the old ram back, and get a refund on them) - Im really gonna be in trouble (work wise) if i have to RMA them withough having other RAM to put in, use my PC work work - video editing and stuff

More testing reveals that when both sticks are installed, the errors occur (still) at Test 7, random number sequence ~5000mb - ~5300mb - if i swap the sticks around, i get the same results. This confuses me even more, as i now think i have both bad memory and a bad motherboard :( so much for upgrading :/ Looking up what Test 7 actually does, it appears that this could also be a CPU Cache problem................................. I am not happy, guess itll just be easiest for me to RMA the entire set i bought. This set has not been overclocked, everything installed onto the mobo as it should be, blahh .. im not happy lol :/

It's highly unlikely that both sticks would fail at the same point in the test. It sounds more like a cpu or MB problem to me. But if you believe it's RAM you can RMA them and try another set. If you choose to RMA the memory you will have to send in all sticks that came in the kit.

Do you have a friend or a local computer shop that could test the modules in a different system? This should help you discover if it is in fact the memory that is failing or if you have a MOBO problem. I doubt you have both problems, it's likely the memory OR the MOBO but not likely both.

unfortunately i have no friends who's pc's i can test DDR3 in :( Is it possible in any way that it might be the CPU ?- cuz that is what i understood from the memtest FAQ (test 3 is mentioned to test CPU Cache, Test 7 does the same, but in a different way or something)

Anyway, after, again, further testing i have convinced myself it is just the ram, one of the sticks will give errors in test 7 in all 3 ram slots (4th ram slot is blocked by noctua cooler) - the other stick will sometimes pass all test, other times it will fail instantly reporting many errors, and other times again, it will report the odd error from time to time (5 passes, tested in all 3 available ram slots)

I will RMA the ram on monday, and i will ofc post an update once i recieve the new ram to tell you if it was in fact the ram ;)

Thank you guys for your help, it is greatly appreciated ;)

Archived