Corsair Community

1 x VS2GB800D2 and MSI P6N SLI

sheep2

Are there known compatibility issues with this RAM and motherboard?

I head 1 x 1 GB [insert other brand name] and memtest showed a lot of errors. I figured I had bad RAM, so I bought VS2GB800D2 blindly and now things are worse than before. I'm lucky if it doesn't hang while I'm in BIOS. Most of the time it doesn't boot at all. Sometimes it gives a continues beep.

I have only this one stick in the main slot.

I already had an up-to-date bios v2.7.

Tried setting the timings manually to 5-5-5-18 and tried 1.8v, 1.9v, 2.0v as well as setting RAM mhz to 667.

Is this bad or incompatible RAM or something else is wrong?

try resetting the bios to defaults (maybe just unplug and remove battery for 10 minutes) and restart and enter settings into bios manually if 800 is not detected. make sure it is set to 2t as well.

let us know. also make sure the single slot you use is the right one as per motherboard manual.

I tried resetting it, tried removing the battery, tried safe and optimal defaults.

2t is set by default.

And yes the stick is in the right slot. I just find it odd that sometimes I can get into a bios (it usually hangs after a short period), while at other times I just have blank screen all while just doing a power off + on.

This motherboard is from 2007 while the RAM is from ~2009. Based on parameters it should support it.

Any other ideas?

although its a pain, you can try reseating the CPU. sometimes a bent or poor contact pin can cause this too.

check the ram slot for bent or misaligned pins as well.

im not ready to say bad ram yet since your old ram had issues too.

and yes according to the memory finder chart your ram is compatible.

In fact all 3 other ram sticks (my old ones) I've tested threw errors in memtest at different locations. One of them even was clear for 1 pass, but not second pass. The thing is, they can at least run memtest or I can go to bios with no problems. With corsair I can't even do that, it either doesn't boot or resets when trying to boot from cd.

What chart are you referring to, can you provide a link?

edit: managed to run a memtest with corsair's. It threw like tens of thousands errors starting from 0.8 MB and then the memtest itself had some error.

> you can try reseating the CPU

no change

If it's something with the motherboard, why the errors are at random places for sticks, or rather than why corsair's is having a hard time to simply boot the machine, while others are working fine up to a point (crashing at random places).

Archived