Corsair Community

Corsair HS1 Crackling Sound

defect

I just installed the Corsair HS1's on my laptop and all the sound has constant crackling in it. They work fine on my desktop computer. Any idea what could be wrong? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling them already. I am running Windows 7 Pro x64 on both computers. The problem is only occuring on my laptop.

Okay, so it was using a Microsoft driver dated 11/2010. I manually updated it with the Corsair HS1 Setup files and it then was a Corsair driver dated 07/2010. The crackling was present on both. Weird... Any ideas?

Windows installed the Corsair drivers the second time around because the drivers were stored in your system's driver repository. To completely remove the Corsair drivers, go to Device Manager, Sound, video and game controllers, right-click Corsair HS1 USB Headset, Uninstall, tick the box next to "Delete the driver software for this device." and click OK, then restart. Your system will use the MS drivers. Check if the crackling is present then.

I did read them, but I wanted to make sure you did it the correct way. A working solution for the desktop is to buy a PCI USB controller. But since you have a laptop, you're sol. Unless Corsair releases an update to fix these piss-poor drivers, there's nothing you can do but buy a headset from a manufacturer that actually had the drivers QA tested.

Yes I have tried just using the Microsoft drivers and the problem still occurs. I have been using them on my desktop since December and they have worked fine. Just now on this laptop I am having the issue.

Okay, I am getting somewhere. In the Windows 7 Speakers Properties, If I set the sound quality to 16 bit, 16000 Hz; The problem goes away, but the quality is obviously suffering. When I put it back to the default of 16bit 44100 Hz, the popping/crackling comes back.

Please use the link on the left to request an RMA and we can try replacing them.

I just got back home and reconnected them to my desktop PC at home and they work fine as usual. The issue only occurs on my laptop which means it is indeed an incompatibility issue; not a faulty unit. Would you guys like the specs on the laptop so you can check into this? Perhaps something with the chipset in my laptop or the usb bus is not compatible with this headset.

• 3 weeks later...

There were updates, but that did not fix the issue.

Also, I just installed the update released Tuesday 07/05/2011 on Microsoft Update for this headset. The new driver is dated Corsair 06/16/2011. Now even on my desktop when the bass hits I hear a slight crackle (sometimes). This is with the Effects mixer on default.

Archived