Corsair Community

Problems with my F120 on my Thinkpad Edge

derriesen

Hello Forum, my first post here,

I bought a Thinkpad Edge 11" with Intel hardware last october and thought the only flaw on the maschine might be that it had no SSD drive to save energy and working time. So i watched the prices on SSDs and read tests and previews etc.

Finally I decided to buy a F120 since it holds enough space for the office work i'm doing on my little maschine and had good reviewing scores and a good price on it.

bought the Corsair Force F120 about 2 month ago installed it in the notebook and send it back to amazon after a few tries to instal WIn7 on it because it was detected only once per 7 boot ups approximately.

The new F120 i got send by amazon was detected properly and i could install Win7 on it. ... I thought...

After a few weeks of use and not much of working on the notebook i have the following Problems (which might sound familiar to the people here on the forum):

- Freeze out of Hybernation (allways, so i disabled Hybernation)

- Freeze out of Sleep (appr. every second time of wakeup)

- no detection of the drive on bootup. (appr. every third bootup sequence)

The drive is updated to Firmware Version 2.0, my bios is updated to the most recent version and the mode (dont what it is called) is correct too.

Tired the workaround and disabled the Quickboot feature. Doesnt help.

I see allot of people on the forums having issues like that and my questions now are:

- Will there be a Firmware update, that fixes the issues?

- Is the F120 just not compatible with my thinkpad?

- I cannot send the drive back to amazon annymore (i think, due to the allowed time frame for complaints) , so did i basically waste 200€ on a not funcioning harddrive?

I hope you can answer my questions and help me with my issues.

(I apologize if these issues where discussed already somewhere, I was not patient enough to search after the registering process took me like 90 min and did not accept three of my email addresses.)

I'm going to setup a new desktop PC tomorrow. I will put the F120 into it to function as a OS Only Drive. If it will work with my new P8P67 Mainboard I'm going to keep it. Will put the old HDD back in the Laptop, stability is more important then speed there.

Still hoping to get some input wether these Drives have general issues with the Thinkpaddies (or at least the edges) or if there's gong to be a Firmware update.

I will report if the SSD will work in the new setup.

Till than, Greetings to the Forum.

It's good to know I'm not alone. I have a Corsair Force F60, Firmware 2.0, that shows a very similiar but slightly worse incompatibility. I've used it before in an Intel-based Ideapad U350 and and AMD-based Edge 11 and put it into an Intel-based Edge 11 today. The first boot worked just fine but it failed to get detected after the first reboot. After some trial and error I was able to find out that it doesn't make a difference whether I reboot or shutdown - once it's already booted once it fails to get detected by the laptops BIOS setup during the POST routine. If I unplug it and take out the battery it does sometimes help but not always. I have two identical Intel-based Edge 11 (both for work) and was able to reproduce this problem on both. The drive works perfect in the AMD-based Edge 11 and the Intel-based U350. On the other hand both harddrives and an Intel 510 work perfectly fine in both Intel-based Edge 11 laptops.

Drive firmware is up to date (2.0), laptops's BIOS is up to date. Switching the Boot setting from "Quick" to "Diagnostics" does help a little bit - the drive still fails to get detected after the first reboot but hitting CTRL-ALT-DELETE repeatedly does help eventually - sometimes I only have to do it once, sometimes up to four or five times. As I've mentioned before it doesn't do anything in "Quick" mode.

Any fix for this?

This is madness.... it took me 25 (!) minutes today to get the laptop to recognize the SSD. Out of a curiosity I took my Intel 510 out of the T510 and put it into one of the two Intel-based Edge 11 laptops. Guess what - no problem at all. I've restarted it a few dozen times and not once did the POST routine fail to detect the drive. The problem is that this is not a private venture into laptops/SSDs but my job. We're planning to hand out about 25 of these Edge series laptops to our users, and some need SSDs instead of harddrives due to their insusceptibility to shock. Is there *anything* I can do to get this fixed? After todays bootup marathon I've already replaced the F60 with the stock 320GB harddrive that the Edge 11 came with. It's slower but at least it works ;):

Clearly this is not acceptable. Maybe it's just me but I must have missed the big red sticker on the box that said "In most cases we would not recommend Force drives for Laptop systems." Also: don't EVER reboot once your laptop has booted :D:

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone with the issues on laptops...

It's kind of weird, that laptops have more issues as they are the machines that profit most from SSDs in my opinion (shock stability, less power consumption, faster drives helps the slower cpus ALOT).

Anyways, put the F120 into my new PC setup for home computing (Allround system used for: Office, Gaming, Multimedia and CAD) that is configured as follows:

WIN7 64bit

ASUS P8P67

Intel Core I7 2600

8 Gb Ram

GTX 560Ti

640 Gb Sata Drive for Data storage.

AHCI is enabled, TRIM is enabled, the Drive is correctly setup, WIN7 recognizes the drive correctly and has installed drivers for it (the edge didnt do this) the Bios and the SATA controler recognize the drive correctly. Boottimes are good.

The drive has been detected by the BIOS (If it still is BIOS, i think its UEFI allready, whatever that means for the whole booting process) 100% of the time for like 50 bootups so far.

Only problems: Waking up from Standby...

6 Wakeups - 2 times Blue-screen-fun-time; one time total freeze...

So the drive still has issues when waking up, like on appr. 50% of the wake up processes.

I'm a bit dissapointed that the drive doesn't function as well as the reviews and advertisments tell me... It has some serious Issues as far as I can judge this...

I would love to see a firmware update, that fixes these problems!

regards

Hello Forum, my first post here,

I bought a Thinkpad Edge 11" with Intel hardware last october and thought the only flaw on the maschine might be that it had no SSD drive to save energy and working time. So i watched the prices on SSDs and read tests and previews etc.

Finally I decided to buy a F120 since it holds enough space for the office work i'm doing on my little maschine and had good reviewing scores and a good price on it.

bought the Corsair Force F120 about 2 month ago installed it in the notebook and send it back to amazon after a few tries to instal WIn7 on it because it was detected only once per 7 boot ups approximately.

The new F120 i got send by amazon was detected properly and i could install Win7 on it. ... I thought...

After a few weeks of use and not much of working on the notebook i have the following Problems (which might sound familiar to the people here on the forum):

- Freeze out of Hybernation (allways, so i disabled Hybernation)

- Freeze out of Sleep (appr. every second time of wakeup)

- no detection of the drive on bootup. (appr. every third bootup sequence)

The drive is updated to Firmware Version 2.0, my bios is updated to the most recent version and the mode (dont what it is called) is correct too.

Tired the workaround and disabled the Quickboot feature. Doesnt help.

I see allot of people on the forums having issues like that and my questions now are:

- Will there be a Firmware update, that fixes the issues?

- Is the F120 just not compatible with my thinkpad?

- I cannot send the drive back to amazon annymore (i think, due to the allowed time frame for complaints) , so did i basically waste 200€ on a not funcioning harddrive?

I hope you can answer my questions and help me with my issues.

(I apologize if these issues where discussed already somewhere, I was not patient enough to search after the registering process took me like 90 min and did not accept three of my email addresses.)

I had the exact same problem with my F80 on both my Dell Inspiron 1721 and Sony Vaio VPCCB.

I RMA'd the drive trying to get a different model but they sent me back a refurbished F80. Surprisingly the refurbished drive is working 100% for me after 10+ cold boots and 10+ return from sleep without a single crash.

So either they have changed something in the hardware of the F models or its not so much a problem with the model itself just faulty drives ?

• Corsair Employees
I do apologize for the issues you are having. Can you test it on a desktop based system? That way we can confirm if its having issues with your laptop or simply a faulty drive. If you like we can replace the drive for you as well.

Thanks for your help RAM GUY.

I've been using the drive in several other computers for a while, among others an Ideapad U350 for about two months, or an AMD-based Thinkpad Edge 11 for about two weeks. I also put it in my wife's desktop computer (Acer Aspire M5200) the other day to see whether its firmware is up to date (my wife's desktop is the only Windows-PC in our household). None of these showed any problems at all. As for replacing the drive: I'd only be willing to get it replaced if there was an actual chance that the new drive is going to work but frankly, I don't see that happening since it seems to be a general problem.

Is there anyone with an Intel-based Thinkpad Edge and a Force drive that actually works?

• Corsair Employees
Interesting results. I would have to assume that any SandForce based SSD might not work in your system then. Replacement probably would end up doing the same thing. Sorry about that.

I've been using the drive in several other computers for a while, among others an Ideapad U350 for about two months, or an AMD-based Thinkpad Edge 11 for about two weeks. I also put it in my wife's desktop computer (Acer Aspire M5200) the other day to see whether its firmware is up to date (my wife's desktop is the only Windows-PC in our household). None of these showed any problems at all.

None of them showed any problems at all with the Force drive installed?

I see where you're going ;)

But yes, I do. Let's do the math, shall we?

a) every drive except for the F60 works perfectly fine in this system. So far, I've tested six: Intel 510, Intel X25-V, Cruc. C300, Corsair Force F60, WD 320GB hard drive, Samsung 250GB hard drive

b) I'm not the only one having this issue (see derriesen, Mink)

c) There's even a proposed "workaround" (disable quick boot) that helps a little bit but doesn't solve the problem completely

d) Corsair "would not recommend Force drives for Laptop systems", meaning there must be something in these laptop sized 2.5" drives that keeps Corsair from recommending them for laptop use. Ironically, this is there they shine the most, but whatever.

The combination of these four indicators led me to the conclusion that the drive is incompatible to something in that Edge 11 system, whatever it may be. I am thus also fairly sure that getting it replaced would not solve the problem at all, since it's not an error specific to my drive but a general problem.

No, it's not. That's different. It's more like saying you have six keys from six different keymakers and five of them work in one lock while one doesn't. This one works in other locks, just like the other five keys, but not in this particular one. Also, other people bought the same key from the same keymaker and experience the same problem with their locks while all their other keys work.

What's broken - the key or the lock? ;)

No, it's not. That's different. It's more like saying you have six keys from six different keymakers and five of them work in one lock while one doesn't. This one works in other locks, just like the other five keys, but not in this particular one. Also, other people bought the same key from the same keymaker and experience the same problem with their locks while all their other keys work.

What's broken - the key or the lock? ;)

But I think you're more focused on the fact that other people are having problems so that means there must be something wrong with the drive.

I also have a Force drive and I have been running it in my desktop 100% with no problems since the firmware update in November of last year. From my point of view, there's nothing wrong with it. There's something in specific laptops only that is breaking the drive.

From my point of view, there's nothing wrong with it.

From my point of view it's broken.

How exactly does the fact, that your drive works in your desktop system relate to the fact that apparantly several Corsair Force SSDs don't work in Intel-based Thinkpad Edge 11 systems while every other SSD/harddrive does? True, it's very specific to something in this particular system but it clearly does not affect other SSDs or harddrives but only Corsair's Force series. I don't fully understand how you can conclude that there can't be anything wrong with the drive based on your personal experience with one single desktop system?

I recently bought a Thinkpad Edge 13 just to find out that my F120 doesn't even fit into the HDD slot. Some kind of plastic edge stopping it from fully connecting. Just look at the photos i took:

The original HDD, fits perfectly

The Corsair SSD

The Corsair SSD, not a perfect fit

The plastic edge in the HDD slot

The original HDD vs the SSD, you can see the difference at the back of the drives

Anyone know what to do here? Break off the plastic thing or what (probably voiding warranty then, right?)?

Archived