Corsair Community

CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 not doing 9-9-9-24

steve30x

I bought two sticks of this ram yesterday and set the ram timings and ram speed to auto in the bios before installing it. So when it was installed it was not @ 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24. It was running @ 1333 9-10-10-28. So when I set it to 1600MHZ 9-9-924 1.65v (the bios set it to 1.66V:bigeyes: )I was having all sorts of trouble in windows with programs stopping working and stuff crashing.

So this morning I ran memtest on the ram it was throwing an error @ 924mb on the start of pass two. So I tried setting my bios settings for my CPU differently and tried again , thinking the CPU multiplier was setting it off , but it threw a error again at the same spot. So after fiddling with bios settings for the ram and 10 hours of various testing and tweaking I finally got the ram to pass three passes of Memtest V4.20 running @ 1605MHZ (My motherboard wont set it @ 1600 MHZ even though in the bois its @ 1600MHZ 1.65V) 1.66v 9-10-9-24. Ive even tried running the ram @ 1592 (or close to that) 9-9-9-24 1.65v but it fails @ 924mb.

The white part that tells the data on the heat spreader tells me this ram should run @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.65v but it does'nt.

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1863565.png

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1863565

I had valueram in my PC with 8 months with it set to 7-7-7-18 1.5v and it never gave me any trouble. It was 8-8-8-21 but I tweaked it.

\No I didnt clear the cmos. I dont think theres an option to enable XMP in the bios either. Its 11:35PM here so I will clear the CMOS in the morning and test it again.

Ive just loaded an OC profile in the bios , because whenever I play Duke Nukem Forever I get a BSOD. This ram is seriously driving me mad now. The last corsair ram I had that was DDR2 1066mhz Dominator was troublesome too. It only lasted six months before it died.

Before I go for the night. I've just checked for XMP and its not in the bios. Ive also reset the CMOS and will recheck the ram tomorrow.

Go to "Ai Overclock Tuner" highlight that and hit enter. X.M.P. is one of the options there.

Yup I found the XMP option. First thing I done when I got up this morning I took out a stick of ram and retested after setting my overclock of my CPU. One stick of ram wont go past one pass of memtest without throwing two errors. The other stick of ram @ 9-9-9-24 1600MHZ 1.66v is good after four passes of memtest v 4.20. I guess I will be returning one stick of ram because its faulty.

I was doing memtest with the two sticks of ram in the motherboard which is wrong yesterday. So today I decided to do it the right way and test the ram sticks seperately. I first tested the bad stick of ram in the slot it was originally in , then put the second stick of ram in the same slot that the bad stick of ram was in just in case the ram slot was the problem , but the ram slot is good. So I tested the bad stick of ram in another slot and it still failed. I tested both sticks of ram @ 9-9-9-24 1600mhz 1.66v. Even after setting the bad stick of ram to 9-10-9-24 1600MHz 1.66v windows was throwing all sorts of errors.

Why is it that every time I get corsair ram one stick of ram is always bad. Also with the good stick of ram installed I am now getting Nvidia driver stopped working and is restarting. I thought corsair ram was supposed to be good. With the uber cheap ram installed I never had any issues.

Yup I found the XMP option. First thing I done when I got up this morning I took out a stick of ram and retested after setting my overclock of my CPU. One stick of ram wont go past one pass of memtest without throwing two errors. The other stick of ram @ 9-9-9-24 1600MHZ 1.66v is good after four passes of memtest v 4.20. I guess I will be returning one stick of ram because its faulty.

I was doing memtest with the two sticks of ram in the motherboard which is wrong yesterday. So today I decided to do it the right way and test the ram sticks seperately. I first tested the bad stick of ram in the slot it was originally in , then put the second stick of ram in the same slot that the bad stick of ram was in just in case the ram slot was the problem , but the ram slot is good. So I tested the bad stick of ram in another slot and it still failed. I tested both sticks of ram @ 9-9-9-24 1600mhz 1.66v. Even after setting the bad stick of ram to 9-10-9-24 1600MHz 1.66v windows was throwing all sorts of errors.

Why is it that every time I get corsair ram one stick of ram is always bad. Also with the good stick of ram installed I am now getting Nvidia driver stopped working and is restarting. I thought corsair ram was supposed to be good. With the uber cheap ram installed I never had any issues.

Crashing now may be caused by corruption from earlier crashes. I guess you have just had a run of bad luck with the memory sticks. Use the link on the left and get a RMA. They will take good care of you.

When you set the BIOS to Auto it sets it to 1333 for a reason.

1333 is the max speed that a lot of motherboards and CPUs run at.

Here's yours:

http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/processors/specifications.htm?proc=48496

I suggest you leave it at Auto unless you really know what you're doing. You could use CPU-Z and read the JEDEC table then manually set the timings for a 1333Mhz spec to see if that's more stable than the Auto SPD readings.

The memory itself may run at 1600 but that would involve overclocking the motherboard as well. If the RAM does not pass memtest with Auto set then RMA it.

Here's yours:

I suggest you leave it at Auto unless you really know what you're doing. You could use CPU-Z and read the JEDEC table then manually set the timings for a 1333Mhz spec to see if that's more stable than the Auto SPD readings.

The memory itself may run at 1600 but that would involve overclocking the motherboard as well. If the RAM does not pass memtest with Auto set then RMA it.

I think the crashing could be because I changed the CPU ratio and BCLK in my bios. My motherboard doesnt like 200 BCLK or above.

Here's yours:

I know this already. I have been overclocking with five years. As I said one stick of ram is good after 4 passes of memtest @ 9-9-9-24 1600MHz 1.66v. The other stick of ram fails before the first pass. So its not a problem with my motherboard or CPU.

When you go through the rma process you will have to return both sticks. That way you will recieve a matched kit in return. Just wanted to let you know this ahead of time .

The memory itself may run at 1600 but that would involve overclocking the motherboard as well.

No quite true with the new "I" series CPU's. The memory controller is on the CPU itself now instead of the "old school" type that was on the motherboard. So now when you overclock the RAM you are overclocking the CPU to begin with and not the motherboard

When you go through the rma process you will have to return both sticks. That way you will recieve a matched kit in return. Just wanted to let you know this ahead of time .
They were seperate sticks of ram. They werent both in the same package.

Also I do need to overclock my CPU to get the ram up to 1600MHZ. I now have my motherboard at the overclock settings I had it at with the value ram , but the ram is @ 9-9-9-24 1440mhz 1.66v and it passes memtest.

I was going to hold onto this bad stick of ram after it passed memtest , but even after a clean windows install I am getting corrupt data with it installed. I have to RMA it or bring it back to the shop I got it from.

You will need to get the set replaced, sorry but we cannot replace just one module. And you can use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can repalce them.
As I said it was not a set I got. They were two seperate sticks of ram. I've returned the ram to the shop I got it from.

As I said it was not a set I got. They were two seperate sticks of ram. I've returned the ram to the shop I got it from.

This could be the whole of your problem. You should ALWAYS buy RAM packaged in matched sets. That way they are guaranteed to be compatible with each other and they run the exact same way

This could be the whole of your problem. You should ALWAYS buy RAM packaged in matched sets. That way they are guaranteed to be compatible with each other and they run the exact same way
Its not my fault they werent a match pair. I was'nt the one who ordered the ram. I just went into the computer shop and asked the shop owner to order me eight gigabytes of DDR3 1600MHZ ram and this is the ram I got.

Also the problem wasnt that the ram wouldnt run together , but the problem was one stick of ram was bad. Even when it was in my rig on its own I had all sorts of problems with windows. Including crashing software , BSOD's and corrupt data. Thats even after memest said there was no errors after four passes.

The problem was'nt a bad ram slot either , because I ran the ram in the same slot the good stick of ram is in and I have had absolutely no problems all day with it.

Anyway the two sticks of ram were matching aka they were identical in every way. They dont have to be a set to be matching. I also had three sticks of DDR2 of non matching ram in my last rig for two years and never had any problems. They were from three different manufacturers , but the same latency and same speed. They were also the cheapest ram I could find. Before I had the non matching ram I had Corsair Dominator ram that only lasted six months and expensive ram from another manufacturer that only lasted two and a half months. You also have to realise that even if the ram was a set one stick of ram could just as easily have been bad.

Some people rag on the cheap ram , but in my experience the cheap ram is more reliable than the so called uber reliable expensive ram.

Anyway the two sticks of ram were matching aka they were identical in every way. They dont have to be a set to be matching.

Sorry , but this is untrue. They may have matching part numbers, but unless they are tested and packaged together they are different. Even same part numbers with the same version number can be made from entirely different chips. Corsair uses no less than 8 different chip manufacturers and any one of them can be used at any given time.This is why kits are sold in matched sets in varying capacities. Even RAMGUY will tell you this. Corsair does not suggest or support using more than one kit for any given motherboard. Any reputable computer shop would not have ordered your memory the way they did.

Archived