Corsair Community

H60 placement question

polarwater

Hey, I installed a H60 on my friends computer I built for him last week and after telling him how impressed I was with it (was getting almost 20% lower temps then my Noctua D14 on prime95) he bought me one as a gift.

I have an 800D and decided to install the radiator on the top of the case in the center fan opening horizontally instead of on the back fan vertically for a few reasons. It looks cleaner and I only had 3 120 mm fans meaning one fan spot on the top of my 800D would be open (can't work with my computer OC'D :p:) if I put the radiator vertically on the back fan slot like the directions suggested. I'm also using a H50 fan instead of the H60 one because the H60 wouldn't fit in the middle and going to be replacing the H50 one with the 2 notcua fans from my D14 that I'm no longer using later today after I go to the hardware store to get more screws.

The problem is I'm getting higher temps then what I was seeing on his computer and was wondering if the positioning of the radiator had something to do with it. The air blowing out of the radiator is also defiantly a lot hotter then air coming out of his was also. I've been building computers for almost 10 years so I'm sure I put on enough thermal paste so I couldn't really think of any other cause. Any suggestions would be great.

so many variables, same board? same cpu? same speed/voltage? his ambient temps? why did you use thermal paste? the H60 has its own.

there are way too many variables here as to why yours feels hotter. did you compare pump speeds? if your pump runs slower it will get hotter. what are the actual CPU temps? if you used AS5 did you allow 200 hours for it to set? are you seeing a difference between stock speed heat and OC'd?

so hard to help you with your question with not much data ;):

thanks for responding snthohol, should have cleared it up before.

Same CPU (i2500k) with the exact same overclock. I did it myself on both. I took off the thermal past corsair provided on both of them and used my own doing it the exact same way both times. Very similar motherboards. Both gigabyte his is a Z68 Socket mine is a P67 Socket. I don't know how I'd compare the pump speeds. I'll make sure I have the pump on hooked up correctly. His temps were low 50's I'm high 60's.

You're helping me.

I used the exact same high quality thermal paste both times applying it the exact same way. aside from the slight difference in motherboards and cases (his was haf x, mine is a 800D) it's the same set-up.

Would having the radiator mounted horizontally like I described above make any difference? That was the first think I thought of.

well its a sealed system and aside from a few air bubbles, orientation should not make a difference.

what might is if you are sucking air in from outside the case (preferred) or using case air to cool the rad. (somewhat inefficient)

which way is the airflow and also what is the avg room temp of both computers?

It is getting case air but I don't think it make that much difference. I'll reposition it and mess with the fan configs. Thanks for the help. You've made me consider a few good ideas. All else fails I'll re-apply the thermal paste.

Archived