Corsair Community

Issues with getting to 2000MHz

civixboi

Hay guys. I just got a set of ram today. Model #CMT6GX3M3A2000C8. It's rated to run at 2000mhz 8-9-8-8-24 with 1.65V. But I can't seem to get it stable at those settings. I have an evga x58 ftw3 mobo with an i7 920. Any suggestions? Thanks.

If it wont run with XMP enabled then try to load the timings and volatges manually. There is also the possibility that the CPU just wont overclock that high.

The RAM itself is rated and will run at 2000mhz that doesn't mean that the memory controller that resides on the CPU itself will be stable at that high of frequency.FWIW My 920 tops out at about 1704mhz.Anything higher than that is totally unstable no matter what i do with voltage or timings. It's usually a no boot situation

Also one question...Is your 920 a CO or DO stepping model?

If it wont run with XMP enabled then try to load the timings and volatges manually. There is also the possibility that the CPU just wont overclock that high.

The RAM itself is rated and will run at 2000mhz that doesn't mean that the memory controller that resides on the CPU itself will be stable at that high of frequency.FWIW My 920 tops out at about 1704mhz.Anything higher than that is totally unstable no matter what i do with voltage or timings. It's usually a no boot situation

Also one question...Is your 920 a CO or DO stepping model?

My cpu is a DO stepping. With xmp enabled, the memory tops at 1876 with rated latency and voltage. But anything higher i get no boot.

FWIW i have my 920 running at 3.8GHZ with 19 multi at 1.2v and RAM is at 1604. But im guessing that since he can get to 1876mhz it's just hitting the wall with the memory controller.

As Synthohol stated since you are running your ram higher than the stock max bus rate of 1333mhz you are indeed overclocking the CPU because the memory controller resides on the CPU instead of the old school type that used to reside on the motherboard.

Unless you are water cooling i wouldn't take the voltage over 1.25 because after you hit the 1.2v mark the heat REALLY becomes an issue . Temps soar real fast after that and it's just not worth it if you are cooling with air.

FWIW i have my 920 running at 3.8GHZ with 19 multi at 1.2v and RAM is at 1604. But im guessing that since he can get to 1876mhz it's just hitting the wall with the memory controller.

As Synthohol stated since you are running your ram higher than the stock max bus rate of 1333mhz you are indeed overclocking the CPU because the memory controller resides on the CPU instead of the old school type that used to reside on the motherboard.

Unless you are water cooling i wouldn't take the voltage over 1.25 because after you hit the 1.2v mark the heat REALLY becomes an issue . Temps soar real fast after that and it's just not worth it if you are cooling with air.

Okay. I've been messing around with it and I am indeed overclocking my cpu. I have the cpu set to 3.0ghz, with a multiplier of 20x, base clock at 150, and memory ratio to 2:8. My qpi is double my mem ratio. So my memory is sitting around 1200mhz. Votages of cpu is at 1.28750v and my memory is at 1.65v.

My problem is when I go any higher than 1875mhz in regards to memory, I get no boot. Is it because of a cpu limitation?

I'm going to say , if you are on air...More than likely. But if your on water that allows for more voltage and higher heat dissipation then you would have a chance.

Have you run the RAM through Memtest(link on the left) to see if there are any problems with the memory itself yet. If not, i would load setup defaults, enable XMP and diable USB legacy support in your BIOS and let them run memtest for atleast 4 passes OR untill it errors. It may even error anyway at 1875 because of the CPU, but if it does try to back it down to 1600 and try again. Let us know how you make out.

What have your temps been like?

I don't know much about EVGA motherboards, but I had to raise the QPI voltages on my Asus motherboard upto 1.45v to get it stable enough which was able to pass a various number of stress tests. My CPU is also an I7 920 D0 but it's cooled via a custom water cooling kit (not a Corsair H50/60/70).

I don't know much about EVGA motherboards, but I had to raise the QPI voltages on my Asus motherboard upto 1.45v to get it stable enough which was able to pass a various number of stress tests. My CPU is also an I7 920 D0 but it's cooled via a custom water cooling kit (not a Corsair H50/60/70).

This is exactly what i was getting at. Im on air Cpu is 1.2v qpi =1.35v and Dram =1.65 and the above is about the max of what i can get with my system. It does idle just a bit high . around 38-40c depending on ambient temps. I am getting a custom watercooling loop here soon and i hope to get it higher myself;):

Success!!!! I raised my qpi voltage out of default to 1.35v and I got a stable oc at 3.3ghz. My memory is at 1800mhz. I gave up trying to get it to 2000mhz. I've been running prime95 for almost 12 hours and no issues. My H60 is holding the temps at around 74-75c at full load. It's a little high, but here in Vegas, the outside heat is keeping my ambient temps at around 78F.

Thanks guys for your help!!! Maybe in the future, I'll try again to get to 2000mhz. But I'm happy for now. :D:

I used 1.45v QPI and 1.65v DRAM to get 2000MHz Prime and IntelBurn Test stable, except that I'm using a vCore of 1.25v to get to 4GHz. Idle temps are around 38-40 degrees C and load temps are maxing out at around 55-60 degrees C. Gotta love custom water loops.

Tweak little by little and rather than huge jumps and you'll get use to it. Fingers crossed for you.

Archived