Corsair Community

AX850 doesn’t power after Cold Start and RMA questions

SamHas

I bought the AX850 on Feb 2011. It was working fine until few days ago.

The problem occurs on Cold start (i.e. if the PSU was turned off from Mains socket for a while). When switching the mains On and clicking the PC power button nothing happens; however, after waiting for a while (at least 15 minutes) and clicking the PC power button the PSU and PC starts normally.

I did the paper clip test and the same above problem occurs.

I would like to RMA to Corsair instead of supplier but have few questions:

1) Can I return just the PSU (without cables and manual)?

2) Will the replacement be brand new unit?

3) The revision of this unit is A1W, is this the latest revision?

Many thanks

• 9 months later...
Hi, I'm having the same problem with an AX750. Bought on November 2011 and worked fine until few days ago. It needs at least 15 minutes to give power to the motherboard on cold start. Anyone knows what's the problem? Any suggestion on what could I do? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with an AX750. Bought on November 2011 and worked fine until few days ago. It needs at least 15 minutes to give power to the motherboard on cold start. Anyone knows what's the problem? Any suggestion on what could I do? Thanks in advance.

Hi MarcoR27;

I did RMA with Amazon (from where I bought it). The problem has two causes:

1) Some ATI graphics card require abnormally high power when first switched on.

2) Corsair AX750, again abnormally, can not cope with that.

So I also RMAed my ATI graphics card. But I decided to go with Nvidia cards before testing the fixed ATI card. I never had any problem since.

Hi MarcoR27;

I did RMA with Amazon (from where I bought it). The problem has two causes:

1) Some ATI graphics card require abnormally high power when first switched on.

2) Corsair AX750, again abnormally, can not cope with that.

So I also RMAed my ATI graphics card. But I decided to go with Nvidia cards before testing the fixed ATI card. I never had any problem since.

Hi SamHas, thanks for your answer. I have a MSI 6970 Lightning graphic card that requires two PCI-E 8 pin cables to run. Maybe can I try to downclock the card to see if things works better? What they fixed in your PSU when you RMAed it?

Hi SamHas, thanks for your answer. I have a MSI 6970 Lightning graphic card that requires two PCI-E 8 pin cables to run. Maybe can I try to downclock the card to see if things works better? What they fixed in your PSU when you RMAed it?

Amazon replaced it with new PSU, which is also what happened with ATI card, so no document stating what was fixed. I think it is a common issue with some ATI cards that's why I switched to Nvidia.

However, before I started using Corsair AX750/850, I was using 1200W PSU with the same ATI card without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Surely you should at least get a green light on the motherboard if the PSU is working properly, before the power button has been pressed and the graphics cards even powered up. That's what happened to my AX850 - no green light on the motherboard for a random period of time.

• Corsair Employee
Surely you should at least get a green light on the motherboard if the PSU is working properly, before the power button has been pressed and the graphics cards even powered up. That's what happened to my AX850 - no green light on the motherboard for a random period of time.

Not all MB's will show Standby power by means of an LED you would need to check that specific Model of MB.

On my AX750 (my MB is an Asus Crosshair V) when i press the power button on the back of the psu it takes a lot of time before the MB leds blink. If leds doesn't blink, pc won't start. When psu was new MB leds blinking immediately when the psu button was pressed to I, but after some month it start to get some seconds for it, then minutes, then about an hour, so I decided to RMA it. I'll keep you informed about RMA process.

Not all MB's will show Standby power by means of an LED you would need to check that specific Model of MB.

My main point is that he tried the paperclip test and that failed. If the paperclip test failed then no power is going to be delivered to the motherboard in order to turn on the power LED which I have seen on MOST chipsets, and thus anyone experiencing this problem will not be able to switch on their computers until the random period of time has elapsed.

If it were anything but the PSU then these very basic tests would not be failing. I am concerned that there may be some sort of batch fault, what with the number of people having the issue.

• Corsair Employee
There are not many but yes I agree if you try the paper clip test and have at least 1 amp of load on the PSU and it will not spin up a HDD and or case fan then please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

Archived