Corsair Community

Corsair Force: VERY slow write performance

ravie

Windows 7 64-bit, new 115GB Force drive used for system.

AHCI enabled in BIOS.

I keep seeing results in AS SSD benchmark for this drive around 350-400 when browsing the web. However, my drive performs very slowly, with a score around 170 (!), mainly the write tests result in about 1/4-1/2 of the expected values.

See attachment.

Would someone give a clue, or even a solution?

Maybe it has something to do with the message saying "31K - BAD" in AS SSD bench. What does it mean anyway? :eek:

Thank you!

Edit: updated with ATTO screenshot

ASSSD_Force.thumb.png.020d76d705a8aeec6d4d9668ab187226.png

ATTO_Force.thumb.png.6fa600b1bed6f5d84c0c4dc83cbd8e49.png

AS SSD is not the utility used to determine the original specifications for the Force series drives. Please retest with ATTO and post a screen shot.

I updated my post with an ATTO screenshot. Seems that especially write speed is lower than should be, right? Thank you.

The write speeds are kinda low but it is impossible for them to reach 350-400 MB/sec on a Force drive. They typically top out at about 270 MB/sec sequential write, and that's in the best possible scenario on a very good desktop system.

What type of machine are you running this drive in? Your system specs are not listed in the drop down menu.

Hello,

I dont expect 350-400, just as much as other users have :).

i5-2400, 8GB RAM, Asus P8-H67-M. W7 64bit, AHCI, tried both msahci.sys and Intel drivers.

I suppose that it has something to do with bad drive alignment, but havent found what to do with it so far...if possible, without the need to reinstall everything.

Ravie

Synbios, yes, I let Windows 7 format the drive. Therefore, I supposed that it would create the partitions correctly. I did a full format. Is that not correct, I mean the full format?

I checked the alignment with the link provided, but could not find the NAND values anywhere. I also could not choose my drive from the list. The alignment is most likely incorrect, as also AS SSD reports incorrect (31K offset).

Now I would love to know how to realign these without the need to reinstall everything :(:

512 and 4 work fine.

Most likely if you backup or image the drive when restoring it will be mis-aligned as well. Your best bet is to backup personal data, secure erase the drive and then re-install windows 7. You don't have to format the drive in the installation, just click install and it will align it properly next time.

512 and 4 work fine.

Most likely if you backup or image the drive when restoring it will be mis-aligned as well. Your best bet is to backup personal data, secure erase the drive and then re-install windows 7. You don't have to format the drive in the installation, just click install and it will align it properly next time.

Bad news :(, thanks anyway, Synbios.

Synbios, yes, I let Windows 7 format the drive. Therefore, I supposed that it would create the partitions correctly. I did a full format. Is that not correct, I mean the full format?

I checked the alignment with the link provided, but could not find the NAND values anywhere. I also could not choose my drive from the list. The alignment is most likely incorrect, as also AS SSD reports incorrect (31K offset).

Now I would love to know how to realign these without the need to reinstall everything :(:

You CAN re-align the drive without re-installing by using Parted Magics move option. This will move the content of the drive to the correct alignment boundary without losing anything, done it myself in the past, and it works okay.

Only snag with taking an image of the drive while it's not aligned, is that IME, especially with Ghost for example, is that, even if you format it properly so its aligned, Ghost re-instates whatever the alignment was when the image was taken, so it ends up mis-aligned again. However, I do believe there may be special command line switches in Ghost to stop it doing this.

Easiest way is to use the move command in the Parted Magics partition manager, and then take an image afterwards.

Lunar, thank you.

If I understand correctly, I just dl this http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads, burn a bootable CD, backup data, boot from it and move the partition. Is there anything I should know about moving it, i. e. some values to enter, or is the software capable to do it by itself?

Is this going to work with NTFS, and Windows 7 on it?

Thank you again.

Ravie.

Lunar, thank you.

If I understand correctly, I just dl this http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads, burn a bootable CD, backup data, boot from it and move the partition. Is there anything I should know about moving it, i. e. some values to enter, or is the software capable to do it by itself?

Is this going to work with NTFS, and Windows 7 on it?

Thank you again.

Ravie.

Yes... just burn it to a bootable disc or put it on a bootable pen-drive which I did, and yes it handles virtually all formats including NTFS ect. it does'nt really matter what OS is on the drive.

When you run the Partition Manager from within Parted Magic it will display all the drives on the system including any pen-drives plugged in. If the SSD drive does'nt show up, use the drop down box on top right to select it, (noting drive sizes can help to ensure you select correct drive)

Highlite the SSD drive and if you right click you will see option to display information about the drive, which also gives the position of the first sector, mine shows 2048, which means it's aligned, the number needs to be a multiple of 16/32 or 64 ect. for correct alignment.

Older Fat formatting programs used to leave it on a boundary of 63, and on normal hard-drives it did'nt matter too much, but on SSD drives it can have a big impact on the drives performance.

TBH, I cant remember whether Parted Magic puts the correct Mib value in for you when using the move option, I dont think it does, so you may need to drag contents until it shows 1 mib (basically inserting dead space so your first sector starts on 64 or IOW multiple of 8)

I know when doing a normal format with Parted Magic it automatically adds 1mib before the first sector to bring it into alignment.

However it does allow you to use a draggable bar (move it left or right) in effect your moving the contents of the drive on a sliding scale so you get correct alignment, I think when I did mine, I just had to move it to the right a touch so the 'Pre Mib' setting was showing 1 instead of 0, IOW the same Pre-Mib setting it uses when it does a normal format... hope that makes sense.

It does'nt take too long to do, depending how much is on the drive, just check afterwards using the information option that the first sector number is now a multiple of 8/16/32 or 64.

I'm no expert on Parted Magic, but I had the same dilemma as you, and it allowed me to re-align without losing anything, it will probably make more sense once you have Parted Magic up on the screen.

Once it's aligned, any ghost images of the drives will also be aligned properly, and will go back on correctly even if put on a mis-aligned drive.

I learned this the hard way, as even after I had formatted the SSD and it was aligned properly, when I put the Ghost image back on, it was putting the drive out of alignment again... simply because the image I had taken and stored, was not done from a properly aligned drive. Though I think there may be command line switches one can use in ghost to possible get round this.

Certainly worth putting Parted Magic on a Pen-drive or disc anyway, as you will need to run the Secure Erase option in Parted Magic every few months if you want to keep your SSD running at max speed.

Archived