Corsair Community

790i Ultra + CMP4GX3M2A1600C9 Seems to be giving me problems. help plz

Maleko13

Hello and thank you for taking an interest in my problem. This is my first post on these forums. I have been all over EVGA's forums for years now and still cannot seem to get my computer stable @ 3.4 ghz which is linking and syncing my ram and fsb @ 1600mhz. I have below a detailed bios template of what works for me and has been stress tested on Prime95 and intelBurnTest (high setting).

The problem I am having is getting the memory stable. I can run stress test after stress test and there never seems to be a problem, but as soon as I start a program or a game I get booted from it and sent back to windows desktop. Starcraft 2 for example gives me an error report that the memory cannont be written to correctly. I can get more specifics if needed.

The long short is: I need desperate help w/ my system and mostly this specific ram CMP4GX3M2A1600C9. Thanks again for reading this and hope to hear some great ideas soon.

BIOS Version: P10

**System **

CPU Freq, MHz: 3.4 GHZ

FSB Reference Clock, MHz: 1600

CPU Multiplier: [8X]

PCle x16-1 & 16-2, MHz: [100]

PCle x16-3, MHz: [100]

SPPc->MCP Ref Clock, MHz: [200]

nForce SPP --> nForce MCP: [5X]

nForce SPP c-- nForce MCP: [5X]

**Spread Spectrum**

CPU Spread Spectrum: [Disabled]

HT Spread Spectrum: [Disabled]

PCle Spread Spectrurn(SPP): [Disabled]

PCle Spread Spectrurn(MCP): [Disabled]

SATA Spread Spectrum: [Disabled]

**FSB & Memorv Config**

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: [linked]

FSB - Memory Ratio: [synced]

FSB (QDR), MHz: [1600]

Actual FSB (QDR), MHz: 1600

x MEM (DDR), MHz: 1600

Actual MEM (DDR), MHz: 1600

P1: [ENABLED]

P2: [ENABLED]

**Memory Timing Setting**

Memory Timing Setting: [Expert]

tCL (CAS Latency): [9]

tRCD: [11]

tRP: [11]

tRAS: [29]

Command Per Clock: [Auto] 2T

** Advanced Memory Settings **

tRRD: [Auto] 6

tRC: [Auto] 41

tWR: [Auto] 12

tWTR: [Auto] 17

tFAW: [Auto] 31

tREF: [Auto] 7.7

tRFC: [Auto] 88

**System Voltages**

CPU Core: [1.43] 1.36 actual under load

CPU FSB: [1.35] 1.46 in EVGA e-leet program. cant find it anywhere else.

Memory: [1.65] 1.69

nForce SPP: [1.40] 1.46

nForce MCP: [1.66]

GTLVREF Lane 0: [Auto]

GTLVREF Lane 1: [Auto]

GTLVREF Lane 2: [Auto]

GTLVREF Lane 3: [Auto]

**CPU Configuration**

Limit CPUlD Maxval: Disabled

Intel Speedstep: Disabled

xPPM Mode: [Native]

CPU Thermal Control: [Disabled]

C1E Enhanced Halt State: [Disabled]

Execute Disable Bit: [Disabled]

Virtualization Technology: [Disabled]

CPU Core 0: [Enabled]

CPU Core 1: [Enabled]

CPU Core 2: [Enabled]

CPU Core 3: [Enabled]

ya..... tried everything. Been on like 3 forums trying to figure this guy out for a week or more. I'm returning this ram because it does me no better than the mushkin stuff I already have. only runs @ 1333 flawless. I do admit that I got it up to 1600 mhz changing the expert settings in the bios. All the little numbers to the bottom i raised a few and bumped the cpu vcore to 1.5!! too high and definitely not worth the hassle that this board has caused me. I'll just stick with it until I can afford some i7 with will probably just crash on me too.

Have gotten really close to having it functional but when I load a game or something, the fps is super low instead of my constant 60 fps. I wish I could make it work but this 790i ultra is just a piece of crap and never wish its perils on anyone. Trust me, 3 years trying to get this board to overclock and i have had it to 3.4ghz linked and synced once and that was today with my vcore @ 1.5 and my fsb up @ 1.45. not worth it

No much feedback on this forum.... Instead of saying dont bump, why dont you just answer the question. Secondly, dont put memory in your memory configurator that doesnt actually work with the motherboards that you say it does.

You didn't recieve much feedback most likely because no one has an answer for you. If you have tested and retested the RAM and it passes all stress tests, then the RAM is running as it should and that suggests you have problems elsewhere. It's either that or it's just not going to be able to handle the overclock to both CPU and RAM . Or it's a MOBO problem. Which also seems to be a possibility from your other comments. There is also a very strong possibility that your problem lies with your CPU.

I also dont understand your reluctance to keep voltages where they are unless your temps are sky high. If it's stable then leave it alone.

Secondly, dont put memory in your memory configurator that doesnt actually work with the motherboards that you say it does.

If it's listed in the configurator then it is defiantly compatible with your board. Again i dont understand where this statement comes into play. I believe your gripes should be with the MOBO manufacturer and not Corsair. 1600mhz is listed as supported for your board but OC'd. And when you start talking overclocking nothing is guaranteed.

I'm returning this ram because it does me no better than the ******** stuff I already have. only runs @ 1333 flawless.

Again, since you have the same problem with a different brand your problem lies somewhere else in your system. Again, most likely the MOBO.

I do admit that I got it up to 1600 mhz changing the expert settings in the bios. All the little numbers to the bottom i raised a few and bumped the cpu vcore to 1.5!! too high and definitely not worth the hassle that this board has caused me......................................................................................Have gotten really close to having it functional but when I load a game or something, the fps is super low instead of my constant 60 fps. I wish I could make it work but this 790i ultra is just a piece of crap and never wish its perils on anyone. Trust me, 3 years trying to get this board to overclock and i have had it to 3.4ghz linked and synced once and that was today with my vcore @ 1.5 and my fsb up @ 1.45. not worth it
Based on this post, there is not much left for Corsair to contribute. You say you have it working but that you don't like the settings needed to do it. If the memory works as advertised and the board does not, there is nothing we can do to change that.

Archived