Corsair Community

0x000000F4 BSOD from Sleep

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if the BSOD continues post back. if there isn't any then it should be ok.

IF YOU ARE ABOUT TO POST AND HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST PAGE DO SO NOW UPDATE 21/08/2011.

Hi, I have had the BSOD again and it happens after the laptop has ben put to sleep, woken then put to sleep a 2nd time and woken. So it seems to only happen on the 2nd sleep/ wake cycle. There are no other problems, Windows and all installed software runs fine, machine boots up and shuts down fine.

Hi, I have had the BSOD again and it happens after the laptop has ben put to sleep, woken then put to sleep a 2nd time and woken. So it seems to only happen on the 2nd sleep/ wake cycle. There are no other problems, Windows and all installed software runs fine, machine boots up and shuts down fine.

So when the Laptop sleeps once it doesn't BSOD. Was the AC adapter plugged in?, If Possible sleep the computer while it it using the battery's power. Does it still BSOD?

Might just be some kind of incompatible hardware, I'd contact DELL to see if they have any solutions.

Hello!

I'm using F120 in my laptop Sony Vaio SZ770 for a year or more... Nice SSD, but when I put my laptop to sleep and then wake it up - BSOD, it's terrible to work like this.

I can't switch off quick boot in Bios (no such option), also installed latest firmware - the same problem. Need some help. Can't use my laptop without working Sleep mode, hibernate works OK but slow, when a lot of progs are running.

Not even ******** disks are trustworthy!

And if I get a new force GT, I can bet €100 it will also BSOD on me :/

I have four PCs I use at home, all have ******** SSDs as the OS drive, and three of the four never have a wake from Sleep or BSOD problem. My P67 board has that platform's annoying wake issue, but only for long Sleeps, over eight hours, but some are successful, it is random. I also use a ******** SSD on that PC as an OS drive, no BSOD issues with it. There are several fixes for the P67 platform Sleep issue, but not all owners even have that problem.

IMO, on the P67 platform, the wake from Sleep issue can be related to the time it takes a PSU to start on a wake from Sleep, given what I've seen in my Windows Event Log. Check your Event Log and you may find some interesting information.

Try and browse the AMD Drivers download page to find any drivers and BIOS updates.

Since I've a Acer I've already updated to the latest bios (2011/08/08).

For the AMD I've installed:

- CCC 11.8;

- South Bridge driver 11.8;

- SB8xx RAID Driver for Windows 7 11.8;

- AHCI for Windows 7 11.8.

I can say that others drivers are not conflicting each other because when I was on a mechanical HDD I've no problem on wake after suspend.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks in advice.

By now, everybody should realize that BSOD is simply TRIM related. TRIM needs to be disabled until the drive/firmware is fixed. There is no other nice way as of now. I truly feel sorry for all who have suffered this issue and are still swapping cables and installing drivers, which to date has done absolutely no good. Not one positive feedback to those suggestions and are still being suggested. Corsair don't hate me for saying all that, but you should hate yourselves for making such a disgraceful product to Corsair's great name.

As for those in doubt of TRIM -- try disable TRIM and if you find problems or performance loss, you can always reenable TRIM. No harm done.

Most people don't want TRIM disabled.

Corsair has been working on a solution to fix this problem. They don't make products that are disgraceful. If it was a bad product then it wouldn't have passed their Internal Testing. the reason why they do not give any firmware updates, deadline and etas is because they test the firmware hundreds of times to ensure the consumer gets a 100% fully verified firmware. you are probably wondering this is not true but it actually is, even though it didn't help for some users, Corsair is trying solve this problem with Sandforce.

To shorten it up, Corsair won't give up if their products that have problems until they have fully found the cause of it. That's why Corsair has a good reputation in the Computer market.

There are positive feedback from the suggestions by Corsair and the Users. For exapmple: Shorter SATA Cable and the increasing the PCH voltage.

As you can see Yellowbeard has been trying to reproduce those errors

Oddly enough, I have a P67 Sabertooth system here that has been flawless with every drive I put into it, single Force 3 120s, RAID-0 Force 3 120s, GTs, etc.

Thread

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=527302#post527302

Toasted:

And people rather have BSODs over TRIM? And why is Corsair working on a solution while support is suggesting to try this and that? (which has not helped anybody at all) Many who tried increasing PCH voltage did not actually stabilized the system. So last time it was SATA 6 GB/s cable, now it's just shorter.

It's weird that a Corsair staff has a fully stable system, but not anybody else.

The last time we had this issue with first Force series, the problem was resolved 6 months later.

TRIM is a SATA command built into Windows that sends a value or command to the controller that this file is unneeded. The Sandforce controllers has a build in Garbage Collection (GC) which is like TRIM but the controller does it. TRIM is good for SSDS because it sends a command to the controller to tell it that this specific file is useless. So in the next GC the controller will know that it wants to be cleaned so it does it. While only using the Controller to find it it would take longer to know that the specific file needs to be deleted.

You can explain what TRIM is. Would you now like to explain what the BSODs are about?

A BSOD is also known as a Blue Screen Of Death. The BSOD is caused by conflicting drivers, faulty drivers, outdated drivers, corrupted system files, Hardware failure and unstable overclock. A BSOD can be prevented by regularly updating Windows using "Windows Update" and updating Driver's form the manufacturers website. If it is a corrupt index file either run the setup CD/DVD and open the command prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW (Windows 7). if it is a hardware failure it may be Windows is unable to load the required files during boot and resuming from sleep. If the BSOD appears during boot then it may be either the HD is dying or it has stopped responding probably due to a power issue or loose connection.

Good to know....among that list, which among those is appropriate for all of us having issues? Hardware failure?

How do you explain the 000000xF4 error? Please explain what's going on. As you know, many are facing this issue.

The 0x000000F4 BSOD screen occurs when Windows is unable to find the hard drive or the HD with the required files to boot into Windows. The problem right now with the Corsair SSDS is the controller. The Sandforce controller in the Corsair SSD is unknown as the problem may be

1. No, power going through to the Controller.

2. Faulty SATA cables that prevent signals to either the SSD or motherboard.

3. The signal sent back to the motherboard disappeared during transit in the cable. (This is why a shorter SATA cable is recommended).

You are probably thinking why Corsair has not released another new firmware. The reason why is that the controller is made by SandForce, So they have to wait for SandForce to release a new firmware before they can do their Internal Testing. But until the cause of the problem is fixed. Corsair Engineers & Sandforce engineers are currently trying to find the root cause of this problem.

If you think this is only a issue with Corsair SSDS, think again, Any other SSD manufacturer using the same Sandforce controller may have the same problem as these ones.

Then another question pops up in your brain. "Why do the other SSD manufacturers have regular firmware updates that fixes these problems and why doesn't Corsair?"

Well it's most likely that that SSD manufacturer just flashed a new firmware tested it for two or more weeks and they found it worked without checking for any performance degradations. So they just release it. BUT what Corsair does is TOTALLY different. Before a Firmware gets released to the Public, Corsair Engineers make sure that the Firmware is 100% compatible with their drives that and that the controller will be in tip top condition so performance degradation is slower which means that the SSD will not need a Secure erase.

NOTE: Depending on how you use your SSD, the performance degradation changes.

If you are desperately in need of a SSD without problems i would consider looking at the Manufacturers Forum of that SSD.

More information on Solid State Drives can be found here

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

So you saying that, then there's no point trying the latest IRST drivers, latest bios updates, setting to AHCI mode..... etc.. because the problem with the drives really is the controller. In fact, there's nothing that we need to try at all. Many have tried many things.. some reach a week stability and then it crashes again. While TRIM is not a good solution, at least it fixes the instability. It's good that Corsair doesn't want to make the same mistake twice by not making early releases. However, just how long are we the clients suppose to bear with it? If we buy a car, and the engine keeps on crashing daily, are we suppose to bear with it? Should we, the clients care who makes the engine and keep on waiting for a fix? Is that our problem? You tell me.. what is right and what is wrong. I have kept up with this for a few months now. I can wait, but I'm not going to wait forever.. and anyway, i don't want to wait much longer.

Trying those updates can improve stability. but if it doesn't then a firmware update for the controller would be able to fix it. But right now i would think Sandforce is actually trying extremely hard to find the problem probably because of the pressure the SSD companies are giving. But who knows maybe one day a new firmware will be released by Corsair or Sandforce to the companies.

Now for the car engine crashing. I would not imagine a car stalling. the technology used in car engines are not new (except those electric cars). While SATA 6GB/S came out when Sandy Bridge did i would classify this to be new.

Remember the Sandy bridge chipset flaw?. that would give a sign that the Sandy bridge chipsets were not properly test or designed. The B3 revision may still have problems which Intel may not address. So again SATA 6GB/S is currently new and the problem should be fixed. No ETAS are available.

Sandy Bridge chipset flaw. Good point. Recalled. And is it right that we bear with this for an indefinite period? SF1200 took 6 months for a firmware release. Do you consider this acceptable? Is it acceptable for clients to face daily bsods for 6 months? Suggestions have been made to "elevate" the problem, but not entirely.

Is this right?

Archived