Corsair Community

0x000000F4 BSOD from Sleep

Toasted

Yes, and if you're going to live on the "leading edge" you need to know about this stuff. Here's a doc that might be of interest:

http://www.serialata.org/documents/SATA-6-Gbs-The-Path-from-3gbs-to-6gbs.pdf

I would add that in addition to getting a good cable for 6Gbps, you should get one that is the shortest possible between port-and-drive.

Great post! Pirate Points awarded ::pirate::

EG: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521148&postcount=3

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that makes absolutely no sense to me, why would the drive BSOD and disappear from BIOS when the drive is IDLE.... and not when its under load?(and no, i don't let hard drives sleep, or pc sleep for that matter)

So changing cables = LESS bsods? but not NO bsods?

And yet, nobody here can RECOMMEND a SATA6 cable KNOWN (provide exact product name.... not SHORT cable) to work? Not even Corsair?

Or is it that.... the drives DO have problems and they don't want to mass recall or admit/announce the drives have issues.. From a consumer point of view, this is not very ethical.

Or is it that.... the drives DO have problems and they don't want to mass recall or admit/announce the drives have issues.. From a consumer point of view, this is not very ethical.

No, this is not the case and I don't care for the implication. I'd appreciate it if you would NOT post things like that in our forum. It's one thing to voice dissatisfaction but please don't insinuate that we are deceiving our customers as this is completely untrue.

As for the cables, we have had good success in the lab with the Molex E208931 cable, style 2725 , VW-1.

I just registered to say I've experienced the same BSOD after resuming from S3 sleep issue on 4 different machines. I have a Corsair Force F40. It is intermittent, but does appear to happen more than 50% of the time. My main system is a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L with the newest F7A beta bios, but I've also tried it in my HTPC (Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, that doesn't even have AHCI), my Dell Vostro 1400 laptop, and a computer at my work (Intel DQ965GF). All experience the same issue. Yes, I have secure-erased the drive many times in-between computers and upgraded from 1.1 to 2.0 firmware. To be honest, I haven't tried switching to Sata 6Gbps cables, but have tried various Sata 3Gbps cables with no changes. Right now my F40 is sitting in an external eSata HDD dock, that I can power on and off independently of my computer, but would love to put it back as my OS drive once the sleep issue is resolved. Any chance of a beta firmware that we can test? Thanks!

I just registered to say I've experienced the same BSOD after resuming from S3 sleep issue on 4 different machines. I have a Corsair Force F40. It is intermittent, but does appear to happen more than 50% of the time. My main system is a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L with the newest F7A beta bios, but I've also tried it in my HTPC (Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, that doesn't even have AHCI), my Dell Vostro 1400 laptop, and a computer at my work (Intel DQ965GF). All experience the same issue. Yes, I have secure-erased the drive many times in-between computers and upgraded from 1.1 to 2.0 firmware. To be honest, I haven't tried switching to Sata 6Gbps cables, but have tried various Sata 3Gbps cables with no changes. Right now my F40 is sitting in an external eSata HDD dock, that I can power on and off independently of my computer, but would love to put it back as my OS drive once the sleep issue is resolved. Any chance of a beta firmware that we can test? Thanks!

For the gigabyte board set the SATA Mode to Enhanced. then in M.I.T set the DRAM voltage to your manufacturers specification.

For the Laptop try and use Dell's drivers

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bpi&ServiceTag=&SystemID=VOS_N_1400&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Intel Board

-Check for the latest BIOS

-Set the SATA Chipset mode to AHCI

-And change the DRAM Voltage to the manufacturers voltage.

When your on Windows

-Install Chipset Drivers & IRST

-Change the power setting so the Hard Drive doesn't go to sleep.

-If you don't have a password on your account select require password on resume to "No"

-Check for Windows Updates

For the gigabyte board set the SATA Mode to Enhanced. then in M.I.T set the DRAM voltage to your manufacturers specification.

For the Laptop try and use Dell's drivers

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bpi&ServiceTag=&SystemID=VOS_N_1400&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Intel Board

-Check for the latest BIOS

-Set the SATA Chipset mode to AHCI

-And change the DRAM Voltage to the manufacturers voltage.

When your on Windows

-Install Chipset Drivers & IRST

-Change the power setting so the Hard Drive doesn't go to sleep.

-If you don't have a password on your account select require password on resume to "No"

-Check for Windows Updates

Unfortunately on my Gigabyte board, I can only specify +/- 0.1 increments of memory voltage, not a specific voltage. I've tried increasing the voltage plus 0.1v and 0.2v and it didn't help. The sata mode is on enhanced/ahci.

The Dell laptop is using the latest drivers and bios listed from their website.

The Intel board had the latest bios (6100 if I recall), was on AHCI, and ram voltage settings cannot be adjusted.

I always do clean installs of Windows 7 SP1 after a secure erase (HDparm linux method usually, sometimes HDDerase), install all the Windows Updates and install the latest Intel Chipset software. I cannot install the Intel RST software without hacking the inf file, because I have an ICH9 and not an ICH9R board. Even with hacking the inf file to get the RST driver installed, I still have resume from sleep issues. That includes the newer 10.5 and 10.6 drivers. Also I have disabled password on resume and HDD sleep options, no effect. Thanks for the ideas though.

I had this BSOD for the first time today, after resuming from sleep on my Dell laptop. But it isnt reproucable, ive put it to sleep and resumed several more times without a problem.

Ive got latest BIOS, and all drivers and Windows Updates are fully up to date. Also the drive is only a quarter full.

I had this BSOD for the first time today, after resuming from sleep on my Dell laptop. But it isnt reproucable, ive put it to sleep and resumed several more times without a problem.

Ive got latest BIOS, and all drivers and Windows Updates are fully up to date. Also the drive is only a quarter full.

if the BSOD continues post back. if there isn't any then it should be ok.

IF YOU ARE ABOUT TO POST AND HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST PAGE DO SO NOW UPDATE 21/08/2011.

Try changing the SATA ports.

IRST won't be compatible so i wouldn't bother trying to install it.

I've tried all 4 SATA ports on my main system and it didn't help. Thanks though. Once I move the F40 back to being my OS drive, I'll try your new updates and let you know. No offense, but I don't have much hope that it will fix anything until a new firmware gets released.

I've tried all 4 SATA ports on my main system and it didn't help. Thanks though. Once I move the F40 back to being my OS drive, I'll try your new updates and let you know. No offense, but I don't have much hope that it will fix anything until a new firmware gets released.

It depends on the system configuration

I have been 1-2 weeks stable with TRIM disabled. For those who suffer from this issue may try to disable TRIM for the time being... which of course you can always reenable later.

disable trim:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

enable trim:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

Do try, I think this should fix the problem temporarily until they make a new firmware.

But yeah, by the time it's fixed, it really isn't about the SATA cable. No reason why my SATA cable matters when it bsods when idle. Yet, idle is when TRIM (tends to) kick in.

I have been 1-2 weeks stable with TRIM disabled. For those who suffer from this issue may try to disable TRIM for the time being... which of course you can always reenable later.

disable trim:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

enable trim:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

Do try, I think this should fix the problem temporarily until they make a new firmware.

But yeah, by the time it's fixed, it really isn't about the SATA cable. No reason why my SATA cable matters when it bsods when idle. Yet, idle is when TRIM (tends to) kick in.

If anyone gives this method a go. i would advise you to reduce the amount of usage since you are turning off TRIM. TRIM only kicks in when the OS or the user deletes something that is in the SSD.

A 95% working solution may solve your problem on both LAPTOPS and DESKTOPS.

NOTE: This uses the value of "TreatAsInternalPort" this command is usually for users who have internal drives and do not wish to Hot swap them.

This did not work for me on the following system:

Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG-6412

BIOS: 1.05 (latest as of today) but problem also occurred with 1.04

CPU: Intel i3 2310M

RAM: 2x 2 GB DDR3 10600

SSD: Force F120 2.0

Vid: Intel HD 3000/ nV GT 540M (optimus)

No pagefile and hibernation disabled

System still hangs(not BSOD) 100% of the time when waking from sleep.

This did not work for me on the following system:

Acer Aspire TimelineX 3830TG-6412

BIOS: 1.05 (latest as of today) but problem also occurred with 1.04

CPU: Intel i3 2310M

RAM: 2x 2 GB DDR3 10600

SSD: Force F120 2.0

Vid: Intel HD 3000/ nV GT 540M (optimus)

No pagefile and hibernation disabled

System still hangs(not BSOD) 100% of the time when waking from sleep.

Did you turn off require password after wakeup? (if you have a password then don't do this).

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options

Select your plan

Change Advanced settings

"Require a password on wake up

Setting No

Hello

I have had the problem with BSOD from the first day i did install my SSD on my Lenovo X61s, and that is around a year now so it is a old problem for me.

I did upgrade the firmware on my drive as well with the same problem before every time the computer wakes up from sleep and i logon to windows it hangs for about 30 sec and then the BSOD appears and the computer reboots.

The computer has the latest BIOS from Lenovo and all the drivers are up to date and windows as well.

And there is no power options in my BIOS to change so what to do.

Is there any thing else to try or do i have to get a different SSD to get this to work ???

Been setting up some costum watercooling, reason for the sudden silence from my side:D:

Anyhow both my forcegt´s work very much as normal HDD´s in RAID now, even thou my rig is overclocked. Last thing i did was switching to

sata3 cables even thou the intel controller only is sata2 and i disabled onboard marvell thru bios and moved all drives onto the onboard intel

(USB3 and Firewire also disabled mainly cause i dont use em).

All normal powersave stuff is on and actually used Balanced under Power Options for awhile. nothing special out o sleep just like it should be now.

I get sometimes audiostutter still, usualy when a prog tries to connect to the web ( like starting Steam ). But only once and its gone,

anyhow it aint there while i play a game and got some own music + a download in the background anymore;):

Gave up the highpoint controller ill get an proper intel controller card later some time:nodding:

Yes, I've been running AHCI on both BIOS and OS levels. It does wake normally with the stock Tosh HDD, I might add. The problem follows the SSD between systems.

Have you check for the latest drivers. you also might want to try installing IRST.

Hello

I have had the problem with BSOD from the first day i did install my SSD on my Lenovo X61s, and that is around a year now so it is a old problem for me.

I did upgrade the firmware on my drive as well with the same problem before every time the computer wakes up from sleep and i logon to windows it hangs for about 30 sec and then the BSOD appears and the computer reboots.

The computer has the latest BIOS from Lenovo and all the drivers are up to date and windows as well.

And there is no power options in my BIOS to change so what to do.

Is there any thing else to try or do i have to get a different SSD to get this to work ???

Did you enable AHCI on the BIOS and the OS?

Been setting up some costum watercooling, reason for the sudden silence from my side:D:

Anyhow both my forcegt´s work very much as normal HDD´s in RAID now, even thou my rig is overclocked. Last thing i did was switching to

sata3 cables even thou the intel controller only is sata2 and i disabled onboard marvell thru bios and moved all drives onto the onboard intel

(USB3 and Firewire also disabled mainly cause i dont use em).

All normal powersave stuff is on and actually used Balanced under Power Options for awhile. nothing special out o sleep just like it should be now.

I get sometimes audiostutter still, usualy when a prog tries to connect to the web ( like starting Steam ). But only once and its gone,

anyhow it aint there while i play a game and got some own music + a download in the background anymore;):

Gave up the highpoint controller ill get an proper intel controller card later some time:nodding:

Have you tried new sound drivers?

I own a 120gb force 3 ssd on a gigabyte z68 mobo with an i5 2500k cpu.

I also had the BSOD from sleep issue and random freezes resulting to BSOD (I have windows 7 installed on the ssd).

Tried almost every solution here with no result (deactivated disk sleep, changed dram voltage -and enabled s3-, upgraded firmware, optimized windows for ssd usage etc).

Last night I put my ssd ALONE at another power cable and I applied the LPM registry hack as well.

One of these solutions seems to do the trick since this morning was the first time that my system DID NOT wake up with a BSOD. Hope that it never will again.

I own a 120gb force 3 ssd on a gigabyte z68 mobo with an i5 2500k cpu.

I also had the BSOD from sleep issue and random freezes resulting to BSOD (I have windows 7 installed on the ssd).

Tried almost every solution here with no result (deactivated disk sleep, changed dram voltage -and enabled s3-, upgraded firmware, optimized windows for ssd usage etc).

Last night I put my ssd ALONE at another power cable and I applied the LPM registry hack as well.

One of these solutions seems to do the trick since this morning was the first time that my system DID NOT wake up with a BSOD. Hope that it never will again.

Keep watching it. if it doesn't them try and disable the LPM fix.

Archived