Corsair Community

New memory sticks work alone, but not together!

rdsroka2

I have 2 stick of ram. 2 x VS1GB400C3. I have run every combination of memory I can (both sticks alone, and in all 4 slots of the motherboard). Both sticks work fine on their own and it doesn't seem to be a bad RAM slot on my motherboard either.

When I have both sticks running together, however, in the paired slots that they should be in (my motherboard has two green and two purple memory slots, so I have them both in either green or purple) my computer locks up completely. The desktop image with mouse cursor and all, it just freezes in place.

What's going on??

were they purchased as a pair or a separate sticks?

Corsair never suggests or recommends mixing ram even the same part number unless of course they came as a set from a single package.

you can try to test one at a time in the appropriate slot with memtest86+ for a few passes to see if one is failing and post back please.

• Corsair Employees
Can you get to BIOS setup with both modules installed? If so please install both modules in the right slots for dual channel then go to BIOS setup and load Setup/Performance defaults then please check the settings are set properly Cas 3-3-3-8 at DDR400 and Command Rate is set to 2T then I would set the memory Voltage to 2.75 Volts and exit the BIOS saving changes and let it run two passes of http://www.memtest.org if no errors then let it boot to Windows.

Archived