Corsair Community

H70 running hotter than expected

CaptainPlz

Hey guys, I recently (December) bought a saberooth mobo with a 950 and some phantom ram. I completed the rest of the build over the last weekend with the specs in my profile.

I noticed my temps were a bit high, but using an older case, I figured it could very well be air-flow.

First thing was just the swap. I put it in, idle temps on a stock 950 of still high 30s to low 40s. I then tried to re-seat the H70 with Arctic Silver MX-4. I seated everything correctly, idle temperatures at about the same.

The stock case has the stock fans + the one additional 120mm cooling the HDDs.

The H70 stock fans are setup in a push/pull for the rad, plugged in directly to the CPU running at constant 1800 RPM.

The pump is plugged into another aux fan slot (have tried several) and reports 1000 rpm constant.

Under load I am hitting in the high 70s.

This is all in a room with ambient temperature of no more than 22C. It is kept extremely air conditioned, and the case should have more than ample airflow. I should not be hitting temperatures this high. I still have original box, invoice date (December 24 or something), all the components, etc.

I've submitted in the meantime tickets to see if it is eligible for RMA, but in the meantime I'd like to take a look and see if there's anything obvious that can be done.

If requested, I will also re-seat and take pictures along the way with whatever application method is requested with the MX-4. I just want to get this thing running to acceptable temperatures so I can get some headroom for overclocking now that I have the new case and airflow has been ruled out as a problem.

• Corsair Employees
The pump speed should be about 1400 RPM and I would remove the cooler get some Shin-Etsu thermal Grease that is what we use and then retest also you need to use the PC-Probe software to verify these applications are calibrated properly for the MB, if using the MB sensors and if using the CPU Core temps they will always run 5-12 degrees hotter than the CPU Temp from the MB that is normal. Also keep in mind it may take 12-24 hours for the Thermal grease to settle and get to optimal heat transfer.

Ok,

As far as the configuration, the manual suggested that both fans to CPU header and the pump to any other available slot.

Should I do the following instead:

Pump to CPU header

Fans to molex to 3 pin adapter?

• Corsair Employees
NO the fans should stay on the CPU header, I would just try another header for the pump and see if the speed changes. Or try an adapter from a 4 Pin Molex direct to the PSU. If you have one other wise use the link on the left and request an RMA as long as you are sure its not a BIOS or some other issue that may be causing that.

So after 5 minutes of running prime 95 PC Probe II is reporting CPU temperature of 75C now and it's likely to rise a bit more.

The NB fan is now at 1394 RPM and the CPU fan at 1962 RPM so I am getting proper output from the parts. I may try to re-seat the heatsink again, but like I said I've done it twice before, and even before I was getting no better performance than I am seeing now.

Extremely frustrated as I thought the H70 was actually able to keep a stock 950 cool under full load.

Edit: Attaching screenshot. This is after running prime 95 for 10 minutes. It started to reach 77 before I turned it off. There is clearly something wrong here, and you can't suggest Shin Etsu vs Arctic MX-4 will make over a 20C difference in temperatures.

http://i.imgur.com/6CNEQ.png

How is 3.35ghz stock? Since you have 1600mhz memory I'm guessing that the Bclk was automatically raised to support that speed (because of memory->bclk ratios and other complicated things) and something kept the cpu ratio at 23 instead of going down to 21 multiplier to stay at stock speeds. Since your voltage is on auto, your motherboard is probably supplying more voltage than needed to your cpu to give you the increased speed, which is why you temperatures are relatively high for a "stock" as you call it, cpu. Bring down the multiplier to 21 in your bios, and everything will be "stock".

So are you suggesting that dropping the CPU by 300 MHZ will account in me getting over 25C in cooling performance?

Out of the box this CPU comes out as 23x multiplier which I didn't touch. I moved the FSB up a little for testing of this screenshot. I will attach another screenshot to show you that it's rather irrelevant what you are suggesting.

Just rebooted: http://i.imgur.com/MsSDw.png stock temperatures, with the chip turned down just to show you (the multiplier for the 950 is 23x by default out of the box). I shouldn't idle at 45C with the H70.

The stock heatsink can do a better job. So what's going on here. I can take pictures of me re-seating the H70 if people still believe that it's a problem with the mounting

Edit: Found the quote "With stock BIOS settings, the Intel Core I7 950 processor runs with a 133MHz bus speed (base clock) and an x23.0 multiplier and x24 multiplier with turbo enabled that is used to reach the final core clock of 3.2GHz when all the cores are at full load" so in my pictures, I am showing lower voltage and multiplier.

This is the reading after 10 minutes of Prime 95 on your suggestion, it's still way too high for this cooler.

http://i.imgur.com/wsKgE.png

• Corsair Employees

What is the room Temp and do you have it getting Air from out side the case?

And as I stated previously you can use the link and the left and request an RMA and we can try and replace the unit if you like

The room temp is 23C.

My new Corsair TX750 arrived today so I mounted it, which made me take everything apart so I could do some clean cable routing.

My order of shin etsu thermal paste also came in. As of 15 minutes ago, after having re-seated everything, I am running at 3.7 ghz clock speed with a 1.34 voltage (I think i'm going to start tuning this down until I am no longer hitting stability) at about an ambient temperature of 36C and load of 68-72C.

At the stock speed I was able to get it to idle at 32C so I will close the book.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone.

Archived