Corsair Community

HX1000 not work with USB3 Controller

Swingfire

Hi all

Hope someone can help me.

I have insert a Sharkoon USB 3.0 PCI-E x1 Controller Card.

http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/usb30-host-controller-card

If I connect the four pin peripheral power cable to the USB3.0 Controller Card, the PC will not Power On again. Why ?

If I will plug out the four pin peripheral power cable, Power On works and Windows 7 will boot up.

The Sharkoon Card works fine, because in another PC it works.

I have a HX1000 Power Supply with only a HD4870X2 inside and a Asus Rampage Extreme 1 as Motherboard.

What I doing wrong ?

thanks for any help.

kind regards,

Swingfire

• Corsair Employees

Have you contacted the card manufacturer, I do not see a manual but it looks like that is not for the PSU but to power another device that may used a USB connection? From the product description but please confirm that with them.

But we have not tested this card.

And you mention that it is working in another system I assume that means you had it connected to the PSU? Correct?

If so what cable did you use for our PSU, did you use a cable from another PSU that did not come with our PSU?

Hi Ramguy

I have verified with the manual, that a four pin peripheral power cable must plug into this connector.

(Btw other vendors of such USB controller cards also need power connectors on cards so looks like a standard for such cards)

link to manual http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4927/sharkoonusb3controllerm.jpg

And yes i have connected the card by the other system via a four pin peripheral power cable to the PSU.

The cable that I have used to connect on HX1000 are one of the original delivered cables. I have also tried another cable that has other consumer on it. Same Issue. No Power on.

So for me it looks like the PSU will Power Off the System. Can you explain me if the PSU is measure somthing ?

Because in other systems with other PSU it works fine.

kind regards,

Swingfire

• Corsair Employees

That would suggest the system is sensing a short and not allowing it to power on, please use the link on the left and request an RMA and in the description request a new 4-pin Molex cable to be sure its not a problem with the cable, do you have any other devices connected to this cable the 4 Pin Molex cable that you connected to the PCI- Card?

Also please check the PCI specification of card for the MB you have in the list it would have to be PCI 2.1 or 2.2 Compliant check the MB manual for the PCI spec it supports. And if for example the card is PCI 1.0 that is the cause.

Hi Ramguy

I have tried another 4-pin Molex cable with some fans also on it. Same issue.

So the 4-pin Molex cable isn't defect.

The card is PCIe 2.0. The MB has PCIe x1 , PCIe x 16. I have tried all PCIe Slots. Same Issue.

kind regards,

Swingfire

• Corsair Employees
I would check with the MB manufacturer to be sure there is not some other issue. But I would suspect there is some slight Specification difference that is the cause, the system will boot and run properly with out this card installed correct?

Archived