Corsair Community

CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 vs CMP6GX3M3A1600C7

Kam77

Hi All,

I’ve to replace my current CMP6GX3M3A1600C7 because one of the modules is damaged.

I’ve the idea to move from 6 GB to a 12 GB total RAM and so I’m considering asking for a rebate with my local reseller for the CMT12GX3M3A2000C9.

The other option could be to buy a new 2x3 GB and then add the original one (after the RMA) for a total of 12 GB RAM.

First point I already know is that it is not guaranteed that 2 different kits will cooperate smoothly.

I’m in reality more interested in the general quality of the CMT12GX3M3A2000C9.

I choose this one because during overcloking I have more room in balancing the BCLK and the DDR multi.

I would like to know if I can suppose to downclock them (i.e. 1600 Mhz) and use the same CMP6GX3M3A1600C7 low timing (7-8-7-20-2T).

And finally when downclocking is there a “rule of tumb” to choose the timing?

Do I have to maintain a specific ratio between the 4 latency values?

Kind Regards,

-A.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but your question is more complicated then you may know.

Mixing sets as you stated is not suggested and its a crap shoot if it would work. But for sure you would loose the O.C. and likely have to run the memory at DDR1333 when mixing sets as we do not test them that way, but sometimes it will work no way to know, just have to test it and see.

However, it is best to just replace what you have now with a new set that is the density you want to use.

Thanks for the answer but I still have some doubts.

I’m not asking in particular to mix RAM because it is not something I want to try.

I’m just thinking at the upgrade path from 6 GB to 12 GB (with a 3 stick kit).

I usually do not use XMP but I configure manually all timings.

So is the CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 the right choice for my configuration?

I do not see any other (3 stick) 12 GB corsair KIT that can fit my needs.

Am’ I right? I suppose I can use also the CMP12GX3M3A1600C9.

So generally speaking is the CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 kit better or equal to the CMP6GX3M3A1600C7? Can I suppose to have the same performances?

And what about downclocking the frequency and the timing?

If I run at 23x193 the DDR multi can be 8x (1433 Mhz) or 10x (1830 Mhz)

In the second case I need the CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 and I could try to run it at 8-9-8-24.

Other possibilities could be:

21x200 the DDR multi can be 8x (1600 Mhz) or 10x (2000 Mhz)

Which kit do suggest at the end?

Kind Regards,

-A.

• Corsair Employees
With the CPU you have I would suggest CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 as the best choice, but you can try the 2000Mhz parts but I doubt the CPU you have will run that high on the memory frequency. The I950's don't seem to run much above DDr1700 from what I have seen.

Tanks for the suggestion.

I have one more question.

Do you think that running the CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 kit at around 1600 Mhz will allow me to use lower timings (i.e.6-7-6-20 or 8-8-8-24) or they will not work because of the 12 GB ram? Are there any physical Limitation?

Actually I never saw on the market 12 GB kit that can run at these low timings.

Kind Regards,

-A

Archived