Corsair Community

AX750 powering down hard drives during hotswap.

Michael Scarn

It seems that any time I hotswap a hard drive into my system, my system drive powers off. Specifically, this happens when I plug a power connector into any hard drive that shares it's power with the OS drive. This results, from the sound of it, a powering down OS drive and a blue screen of death seconds later.

I've tested this on different power cables, even sometimes with the exact same result from a different cable. I've also left the SATA data cable unplugged from the hotswapping drive to make sure it wasn't software or motherboard related. On reboot, the OS drive often times elicits a "bootmgr is missing". With the hotswap drive removed and system rebooted, the problem vanishes and the system is stable as normal.

I've reinstalled windows 7 on a new drive on a separate power cable and sata cable, and again, the same problem occurs. I've also had some other rather irregular problems with my computer freezing during the POST splash screen (the one with the motherboard logo and keyboard options to enter the BIOS).

I used to have a TX650 as a backup power supply, but have sold that off months ago as it seemed this power supply was doing fine. I do own a business that I do some part time work with, so I need to get this system back to being stable. I'm wondering if an Advanced RMA is inline or if there is other testing I need to do. I've been very happy with the couple of Corsair products I already have, and want to see how this legendary customer support works :o:

Would I be right in saying the PSU is the cause for the issues? I have a UPS behind my computer so I would think that may rule out some issues with supplied power to the computer.

• Corsair Employees
Would I be right in saying the PSU is the cause for the issues? I have a UPS behind my computer so I would think that may rule out some issues with supplied power to the computer.

A: Don't know we can say that just yet.

Did you happen to try it with out the APC?

And are you using the cables that came with the PSU directly to the drives or using an adapter cable of any kind?

I think I would request a new set of cables for the PSU just to be sure its not a cable problem, but I do not remember anyone reporting an issue like this before.

I hope to test out some of these possibilities tomorrow. Thank you, RAM GUY, for supplying a few possible tests. I do use the provided Corsair modular Sata cables and don't use any adapters. I have read a few threads within forums that have similar problems, but I will have to find those again and link them. I don't recall finding anything significant.

I will configure a few tests to hopefully narrow down the root of these problems. Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

- Recreate the scenario without a UPS. I own a CyberPower 1000PFCLCD unit.

- Test individual cables. I believe it comes with (2) 4-way Sata cables and (2) 2-way Sata cables. I would find it highly improbable that all four cables would be bad, unless the problem exists in the nature of having four drives on one 4-way Sata cable.

- Install OS drive on a different hard drive than the ******** 640GB AALS drive.

- Install a different OS. I believe this would have no effect based on the way I plugged in a drive that was not connected to the motherboard. (This test would be more of a last resort)

- I have a multimeter, would it be tough to monitor the voltages when performing any of the tests this way?

Again, any possible tests that won't destroy my computer would be more than appreciated :o:

Found another person with a similar problem on these forums. Also found one very similar, though doesn't offer enough details.

I wanted to update everyone on the diagnostic process of this issue. I've learned quite a bit, but will continue testing.

Test #1 - I have removed the UPS from the equation. After many trials, there was zero change in occurances.

Test #2 - I installed the same OS on a different hard drive of the exact same model. After many trials, zero change.

Test #3 - I took all hard drives off of the AX750. I then paper clipped (on separate tests) a Corsair CX430 PSU and a Dell 305W PSU. On both tests, the HDD PSUs were turned on approximately at the same time as the computer. In the same manner as all tests, several trials were run hotswapping various different hard drives. All tests resulted in a BSOD. On some occasions, it took two or three attempts to cause the BSOD.

Test #4 - With the CX430 installed in a new case, I assembled the rest of a soon-to-be server computer. I used the exact same HDD as on other tests. This HDD had the fresher install of the two OS install I have. I used the following components for the build:

BIOSTAR A880G+ AMD Motherboard

AMD X2 250 Regor CPU

******** 4GB DDR3 RAM

Corsair CX430

Result: All tests failed to produce a BSOD except on the thirt attempt on a Samsung F4 drive. In each trial, the power down of the OS disk happened, but seemed to power right back on. On a FEW trials, the drive was inaccessible for searching for only a second or two. On MOST trials, the drive didn't seem to skip a beat. A large file transfer from the drive would have shown if the drive went down at all. On the one occasion the drive did BSOD, it acted in the same manner it did in all other BSOD cases.

I still want to conduct some more tests:

- Using a different make and model HDD as an OS disk and rerun tests that caused BSOD's.

- Perform a hotswap under an OS other than windows. I've worked with Fedora the most so I plan on going that route.

- And with RAM GUY's suggestions, I will remove and install different chipset drivers and rerun tests that caused BSOD's.

- I also want to try running the OS disk on the system PSU while running and hotswapping other drives off of another "paper clipped" PSU and vice versa.

At this point, I don't want to make assumptions, but I want to think the motherboard has a big part to play in it. Also drivers may play a part. Apart from that, I think I ruled out the PSU.

After all of this is done, I just need to figure out that annoying coil whine :P A new graphics card didn't fix that, as it shouldn't have. Third graphics card in the system and the same old whining.

Archived