Corsair Community

Racking my brain over CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9

SLASH5150

Hey guys, so I have been reading tons of forum postings and I am at a complete loss of things to do.

Yesterday, I picked up 2 sets of CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 (Vengeance) 12GB (3x4GB) kits and was going to put them into my system.

Now IDK what in the world happened, but last night, came home and installed, got "OC not working, F1 setup, F2 Load default) hit F2 and it worked beautifully

This morning, I turn it on and I started to get stuck in an infinite boot loop ie, turn it on, go into windows, reboots after around 30 seconds. Rinse, repeat.

Now I am at a complete loss of what to do, and I would REALLY like to get this system working as I have a lot of stuff I need to get done.

So far I have done the following, Tried Profile 1 and 2, neither worked, so I started to set memory settings manually.

Set a 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v and 1.3v setting, as well as other variations like 1.5vs and just default voltage.

I then ran the BIOS flash and that allowed me to boot with Profile #1 via XMP, but is still sticking me in that reboot loop.

Before I had a trip-channel set of 6GB (3x2GB) set of (okay..guess I can't mention other kinds...) 12800 which worked fine...after getting stuck in the reboot loop and having Fry's take care of it. Please guys...help!

Edited for Current Build

--ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme LGA 1366

--Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition

--EVGA GTX470

--Antec DF-85

--A bunch of HDDs

I also remember reading a thread about Profile 2 reading wrong at a 6-9-9-9-24 reading.

Should i be at all concerned? I will be running memtest shortly, providing that the system boots with Profile 2 active, anything I should look out for?

The system will not boot at all with Profile 2 Selected in XMP, if I do a forced reboot, I get the "OC Failed"

UPDATE -- 5:52 PST

So I forced it to boot up in Profile 1 mode with the voltage at 1.65 and am currently running Mem Test right now booted off a CD

UPDATE -- 6:52 PST

So I'm off for a bit, but this is what is happening thus far in Memtest

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/mailgooglecomci.jpg/

UPDATE -- 1:43 AM PST

So I ran mem test for around 8 hours and am about to go to bed, but i'll let it keep running. So far this is what has popped up.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/20110607014108.jpg/

Something tells me that isn't good.

What about the error that came up during memtest?

UPDATE

I enabled profile 2, no boot. Went back into tweak specs and forced a 9-9-9-24 and it booted and am now running a mem test out of profile 2. Will update with picture if there are any errors or anything like that.

What about the error that came up during memtest?

UPDATE

I enabled profile 2, no boot. Went back into tweak specs and forced a 9-9-9-24 and it booted and am now running a mem test out of profile 2. Will update with picture if there are any errors or anything like that.

One memtest error is too many. You may be having trouble because 2 twelve GB sets are not tested together. There is a 24 gig set.

From what the image shows. It was test 4 pass 1.

And the memory settings were as you said above. Only i used profile 1 and the cpu is default at, i believe 1.05v

I am running a memtest now using profile 2 but i was only able to boot after setting the cas numbers to 9-9-9-24 since profile 2 had them at 6-9-9-24

Okay, so I just got home and this is what I have done so far. After the mem test of Profile 2, and manual cas latency change to 9-9-9-24, I tried a reboot.

It booted, however, it restarted itself again, went into setup, checked settings and changed mem voltage to 1.65 and DRAM/QPI to 1.25, tried a boot, got into windows, rebooted.

Changed CPU voltage to 1.2 and there was no boot, forced a restart and am now back at the OC failed, enter setup to reconfig option.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/20110607182903.jpg/

Thats what the settings are at right now.

this is what is under DRAM timing control

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/20110607183540.jpg/

Hopefully you guys are still awake and can help me out! This is super aggravating!

Also...I pulled one of the sets of ram, and now profile 2 gave a reading of 9-9-9-24. So I think one set was forcing my bios to read 6-9-9-24 on profile 2.

Will it run correctly with profile 1 while using only one set of memory(12GB)? There seem to be a lot of people around here with Rampage 3 motherboards having problems. Have you searched for those threads for a solution?

Go to control panel, system & security, system protection, advanced, startup & recovery, and uncheck "automatically restart" under system failure. I suspect you are getting a BSOD and windows restarts before you can see it. This setting will allow you to see the error and perhaps give some insight as to what is happening.

Well, I managed to get into windows and set that setting, but no luck. I just tried doing profile 1 and no luck there either.

When I have been able to see the windows log after that "Windows recovered from a serious error" thing, it is saying that it is a Blue Screen. I'm just not sure what all memory things I'm supposed to manually set.

I still think you should look at that setting under system failure and make absolutely sure "automatically restart" is not checked. That should make the blue screen stay visible while you can read it. It will have a bunch of numbers on it. You are interested in the short one that ends in 101 or 124 or something. Then you can google that as in "stop error 101" and you will get hits on it telling it what you need to do to correct it. Since you have tried all sorts of settings on your memory, I'm begining to think it's not memory related.

• Corsair Employees
From the image its still setting the QPI/DRam Voltage to high: The setting looks to be running at 1.238V on your system and the (B0) stepping CPU's cannot be above 1.2 Volts from what I have seen try and set the setting a little lower till it shows its running at no more then 1.25 and for sure check for a BIOS update from the MB manufacturer. I would also try and set the memory volatge so it is running no more than 1.651Volts

Archived