Corsair Community

DIMMS from CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 same as CMX8GX3M4A1600C9?

bobvila

Hi all, I don't have a ton of experience with building my own, so excuse me if the answer is obvious.

Just trying to be sure about this: I saw a sale and snatched up the CMX6GXM3A1600C9, which is a 3-pack of 2 GB DIMMS.

However, on investigation, Crucial does not include this RAM on the list of compatible memory for my mobo (Intel DP55KG) -- but CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 does show up as being compatible. That's a 4-pack of 2 GB DIMMS, but as far as I can see, it has identical specs as what I have, just one more DIMM.

So, can I use the RAM I have with this mobo, or do I need to find something else?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thanks Wired, that makes sense -- my misunderstanding, as I thought this was a triple channel board. (now I see that's not the case.)

Actually, I have a friend who's in the same situation as me...same RAM and mobo. So, we could each move up to 4 DIMMS if we get a set of CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 (2 DIMMS x 2 GB each), and split them, right? Or one of us could take the new ones and give one of his 3 to the other, I guess.

Archived