Corsair Community

Single or Dual Channel

statd04

Hi

Sorry for posting this but I've checked threw all the other threads to see if i could find anything about single and dual channel memory. I am building my second computer which will have AMD Phenom II 1100T Black Edition Six Core CPU and MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard. I have also bought 2- Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 Vengeance 4GB DDR3 RAM - PC12800, 1600MHz, 1x4096MB, that are marked Single Channel, but am looking to buy another 8GB's. What i was wondering is if I bought CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B that are marked Dual Channel, will these 2 sets of memory, well accutally there are 2 modules of the 4 gb ( 8 GB ) single channel and a set of 4 gb ( 8 GB ) dual channel will work together and also on this MoBo MSI was nice enough to color code the different dimm slots even are one color and odd is a different color, what i was wondering from reading is that to make it a dual channel memory is that you have to have the modules in dimm slot #1 and slot #2 but then i read that in order to be dual channel you need to have them in slot #1 and #3 and there is no such thing as a single or dual channel memory module :confused: ? Sorry for the post being so long but really don't feel like messing up on my second computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

Ok thank you, just wasn't sure because i read 2 different things about it so all memory is considered single channel, it just depends on what dimm slots you put them into and so the memory i listed in my first post i shouldn't have any problems with, just not sure if i put the 2 sperate memory modules in dimm 1 and 3 and then the matched set into dimm slots 2 and 4 ? If anyone would know if it makes a difference that would be great.

Memory isn't ANY type of channel. You run memory in a single, dual, or triple channel configuration depending on your memory controller and what slots you put it in.

Regarding what slots to use, you'd have to check with your motherboard manual. May not matter though.

Archived